Novo-Sadovaya St. 162 B, , Samara 443011

LadiaLadia

EmbankmentEmbankment

Living in Samara

by Portugues

I've been invited to work near (I think) Samara, in a city named Togliatti. I would like to hear about:
1-How distant is Togliatti from Samara
2- Is the road OK to go to work and back to Samara daily
3- I have two kids, 13 and 7 years old, do you know any International/English school
4- Is it safe, mainly for the kids?
5- Shopping places (you know supermarket general stuffs)
6- For 2 years you decide to take your family (wife+kids) or you decide to go alone

I would like to hear your comments since I'm very confused, by now, with the offer made.

Best Regards

RE: Living in Samara

by bierce

Togliatti is 100 km away, the road is okay though the distance is not for daily trips especially in winter months. As for schools I never heard of any school teaching all subjects in English. 5- lots of malls around Samara.

Travel Tips for Samara

Embankment

by bugulma

Embankment is the city indeed. I mean every evening of the week days and in the weekend people come here and enjoy life by swimming, playing volleyball, just walking and so on. As I've said in the intro it is the longest beach line I've ever seen in the city. I think that at least half of the public transport has a stop in the area near of the embankment. A lot of summer restaurants are in the area.

Chapaev Monument

by bugulma

There are some monuments in honour of the revolution heroes. One of the impressive monuments is to Chapaev. He was a head of Red Army in the region and was killed in the battle on Ural River. It is situated on Chapaev Street

Leningradskaya Street

by bugulma

The main pedestrian street of the city. it is situated not far from the embankment. It is crossed with Kuibyishev Street and it's the central part of the city where you can get shopping. Besides there is a monument in the beginning of the street (on the picture) in honour of event, when Samara became the capital of Samarskaya Gubernia (Oblast').

CURRENCY

by kiwigal_1

The money used in Samara and throughout Russia is the Rouble. This currency underwent a devaluation in 1998 and is currently stable. Roubles can be bought inside Russia in exchange for either US Dollars or Deutch Marks. It was also possible to exchange them at Sukhbaatar, Mongolia on my way through on the Trans Siberian Railway.

In Samara it is possible to get cash advances on your credit card at the AUTO BANK which is located near 'the white house' in the old part of town.

To find out how much the Rouble is worth click on the link to launch the currency converter at

The monument to the soldiers

by bugulma

Not far from Iceberg Hotel we stayed with my colleagues we saw the monument to soldiers of post-Soviet times who died in local wars on the territory of the former USSR. We saw Karabakh and Chechnya. Pity, I haven't any info when it was placed here.

Comments