Albrecht

Old Town, Bratislava, SKOld Town, Bratislava, SK

Blue Church, Bratislava, SKBlue Church, Bratislava, SK

Bratislava (2010)Bratislava (2010)

BratislavaBratislava

vienna apt - bratislava - till what time there's a bus

by irisyizhaky

Hello all, I'm arriving to Vienna apt on 01/04/10, at around 22:00, (flight lends at 21:30)and need to arrive to Bratislava at the same evening. do you know untill what time there's a bus fron vienna apt to bratislava? is there also a train that I can catch? thank you!... Iris

by northeast80

By "Vienna apt" do you mean Vienna Airport? If so, I've found Slovak (Euro) Lines travel between the two places (you'll need to check the end stop in Bratislava as I don't know which option was airport in Slovak);
The Terrovision bus doesn't leave as late as you need to. I know certain aircarriers offer transfers (my mother flew to Bratislava then got a coach to Vienna with Easy Jet) could this be an option for you to book with your air ticket?

by lmkluque

I had to make this trip--it was many years ago. The train left too early in the morning and the bus left too late. I couldn't rent a car and drive in to--then--CzechoSlovakia. I ended up taking a taxi from the airport in Vienna to the airport in Bratislava. Unless you know how to hire some one to drive you there for less money, I think taxi is your only way.

by dracus_reticuli

hi mates! if u ike i can sort it out a cab, which will pick up from airport. the prize is 75 eur. if yes let me know. phone is +421 905 11 78 79, or andrej.martis@yahoo.com

Travel Tips for Bratislava

Family, Emperor, Peeper and Photographer

by CardinalBorusa

There are many statues in Bratislava, some serious and some not.

In namestie [square] SNP are three statues - a cloaked man and two women, in dramatic poses. Only from the front did we find that the man was brandishing a machine gun. This is the “Angry Family”, a monument to the anti-Fascist uprising which gives the square its name. Apparently, huge crowds assembled here in late 1989 for the collapse of Communism, and Slovak nationalists also gathered here in 1992 before the “Velvet Divorce” of the Czech and Slovak Republics.

On a lighter note, a Frenchman with a disturbing resemblance to Napoleon leans nonchalantly on a park bench in Hlavne namestie, the main tourist square. Elsewhere in the Old Town are The Photographer, a paparazzo forever frozen in the act of waiting for that perfect picture – he is cunningly hidden behind a pot plant – and The Peeper, a helmeted man peering out from under a manhole on Panska.

THOUGHTS FROM AN IMAGINATIVE MIND!

by lmkluque

Arriving at the Slovak boarder in an Austrian Taxi, a Mercedes, I was amazed to see the boarder guards with sub-machine guns! (Living in San Diego, I’ve crossed the USA/MEXICAN boarder many times and have never seen a gun toting guard on either side.) I was a bit nervous traveling into a Communist country as it was, and the heavy guns didn’t help calm me down!

The agreement with the taxi driver, was that she would procure a Slovak taxi for me—since I didn’t speak the language—and I would walk across the boarder so neither taxi driver would be subjected to a search.

I set my bag on a short wide wall in the inspection area and while the Customs Officer searched the car a head of me, I went to the Boarder Guard’s Booth to make the mandatory change of money. Just as the officer finished searching the car, I returned.

First thing I realized, he didn’t speak English—and I don’t speak Slovak. Hummmm—I opened my bag for his perusal. His kind, professional manner helped me to relax. His search was quick and competent and I was free to go. I got into the Slovak taxi and we drove off. My fondest of Bratislave was scary, exciting and pleasent.

It was five in the evening and my flight would depart at six, nothing to worry about, the airport was about five minutes away, the driver said.

I was enjoying the lights of the city until we turned into a dark side street! The taxi driver stopped in front of a Hotel type building with red banners hanging out side and a red carpet in the lobby, it reminded me of Nazi occupation I’d seen in WWII movies.

My imagination kicked in! Visions of being arrested and thrown into a gulag whirled through my mind and I wasn’t sure what would happen next.

Of course, the only thing that happened was that the taxi driver returned with his changed traveling papers and we drove straight to the airport.

We arrived and once outside of the taxi, I tried to ask the driver—in a-kind-of-sign-language—which way I should go to catch my flight.

He began to explain. Stopped. Picked up my bags and took me to the boarding desk. He went in front of the line of waiting passengers and insisted that the attendants take my bags—we were late and all the other bags had been loaded on the plane. He guided me to the departure room door and handed me his card, to call him upon my return for a ride back to the airport in Vienna. I gave him a very big tip and my heart felt thanks for his kindness, beyond the call of duty.

I was the last person admitted into the room. I took the very last seat left on that flight and flew off in that rickety plane to Kosice.

Architecture

by acemj

Outside of the Old Town, I noticed that the architectural gems are few and far between. Standing on a hill or in a tower, you can look in the distance and see a lot of Communist-era construction. The drab, block-shaped buildings don't do a lot for the eye, but once you turn your focus to the Old Town, you will be rewarded with a lot of beauty and charm. From the Primate's Palace to St. Martin's Catheral, you'll have plenty to choose from when it comes to interesting architecture.

Cokolada

by macicka

This is the place where you can have delicious hot or cold chocolate or just buy some bonbons...
They offer many types of chocolate, e. g. hot chocolate with chilli or with coconut or with many kinds of liquers...
It's not a pudding but a real chocolate. it's the only place in Bratislava where they offer "real" chocolate. That taste will make you want more and more...:)
If you want to taste it, go to Michalska street and look around:)

Trinity Church

by Skipka

Trinity Church or The Church of St. Mathe is another nice sightseen worth to see. Parish church of Trinity in Bratislava is the piece of architecture that belongs to the nicest and most valuable dominants of the city. The construction of it was in the hands of monks - trinitars. The first brick was laid down in 1717 and in 1725 it was ordinated. The idea of design comes from the Church of St. Peter in Vienna projected by Lukas Heidebrand. The distinctive are mainly three arcuat turned towers.
Nowadays there is also a small pastoration centre right next to the church, the olders (like me) remember that durign the socialistic period there was a bookstore where you should buy Russian books.

Comments