Ondavska 5, Bratislava, 820 05, Slovakia

Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Terrible

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Budget hotel on the outskirts of the city centre

My friend and I stayed at Hotel Turist for 4 nights during our visit to Bratislava to celebrate New Year 2009.

We booked our stay through www.hostelbookers.com and paid 52 Euros (50 GBP at that time) per night for a twin room with en-suite facilities. Prices were higher than usual with it being New Year, and we had to do quite a lot of searching before we found anywhere remotely central in this price range.

We were unsure which currency we would be required to pay with as Slovakia was still using the Slovak Crown when we checked in on 29th December 2008, but had adopted the Euro by the time we checked out on 2nd January 2009! In the event, this didn’t cause us any problems and I can’t even remember now which currency we paid with.

Location

Hotel Turist is located in the Ružinov area of Bratislava, a borough to the east of the old town.

It is not particularly central, and reaching the centre of the old town took a good 45 minutes on foot, and we were walking pretty fast! Similarly, the central railway station was at least 30 minutes walk away. With this in mind, I think the hotel’s official line that “It is located only 1.5 km from historical center, 1.2 km from main railway and bus station” is a bit of an exaggeration!

The hotel is located close to various sporting venues, including the football stadiums of both Inter and Slovan Bratislava and the Ondrej Nepela hockey stadium.

There are bus and tram stops near the hotel, but we never investigated which numbers would get us to the city centre, as we preferred to walk. On the one occasion, late on a cold night, when the thought of a 45 minute walk back from town filled us with dread, we jumped in a taxi and paid just a few Euros for the 5-10 minute journey.

Bedroom

Our twin room was fairly basic, but it contained everything we needed; a couple of beds, a wardrobe, cupboards, a small table, two chairs and a TV set with a few international channels.

I’d describe the room as “functional” rather than “comfortable”, but we had no complaints. The most important thing, given that we were staying in the middle of winter, was the fact that the room was very well heated.

The room had a small balcony, but the view of drab, grey apartment blocks wasn’t particularly inspiring and I doubt I‘d have wanted to sit out there even in the warmer summer months.

The en-suite bathroom contained a shower, a washbasin and a toilet. I’ll be perfectly honest, writing this review 6 months after our stay, I couldn’t even remember what the bathroom looked like without consulting my photos. Again, it was functional more than anything else – neither memorably good nor memorably bad. We received clean towels, and possibly complimentary soap.

A basic tourist-class hotel, with functional rooms. An ok option if you can’t find anywhere more central and you’re travelling on a budget. I’d look to stay somewhere closer to the old town next time I visited Bratislava.

Directions: Located in the Ružinov area of Bratislava, a 45 minutes walk from the old town and 30 minutes walk from the main train station.

More about Hotel Turist

Hotel Turist, BratislavaHotel Turist, Bratislava

Hotel Turist, BratislavaHotel Turist, Bratislava

Twin room at Hotel Turist, BratislavaTwin room at Hotel Turist, Bratislava

Twin room at Hotel Turist, BratislavaTwin room at Hotel Turist, Bratislava

Cheap hotel near Gymnazium Jura Hronca

by kingsen

Hello from India!
I will be in Bratislava between 3 and 10 July and would like to book a cheap hotel within walking distance of Gymnazium Jura Hronca (Novohradská 3)-- maximum 30 minutes walk, the closer the better! I will be arriving from Vienna by train and would appreciate directions to the recommended hotel. Website, emails and telephone numbers that would help me confirm my bookings would also be appreciated. If there is anybody who would like to help me out (for assured return help for future trips to India, please do get in touch either through this forum or at
Thanks a ton in advance!

RE: Cheap hotel near Gymnazium Jura Hronca

by jankau

school is near the main bus station (mlynske nivy - see left on the map, link below),

easily accessible from main train station

and there are many hotels in the area(further centre), what does it mean cheap?
see links:
or hotel turist

Travel Tips for Bratislava

Hilly residential area

by yooperprof

Just to the west of the main train station is a hilly and attractive residential area, with "villas" from the early twentieth century, on steep streets, and occasionally linked by stone staircases. The mansions appear to be well-kept, even if the grounds are a little shabby by western european standards. I like the varied architecture: certainly a neighborhood with a lot of character.

Architecture in Bratislava

by HORSCHECK

You can find various architectural styles in and around the city centre (stred mesta) of Bratislava. The castle was built in Gothic style, but both Renaissance and Baroque reconstructions took place.
Other styles include Gothic (St. Martin's Cathedral), Rococo (Grassalkovich Palace), Baroque (Old Town Hall) and Neorenaissance (Slovak National Theatre).
So keep your eyes open when wandering through the streets of Bratislava.

Main Post Office

by Imbi

This is one of the first buildings in Bratislava in which steel reinforced concrete was used as a structural material. This was used in pillars which supported a glazed roof which formed the main courtyard where the post was delivered. Due to the building being located on an incline there are entrances for vehicles into the central courtyard in both the basement and on the ground floor. This meant that a strong susupended ceiling to the basement was neccessary to carry the wight of the carriages entering on the gound floor. This was glazed so as to provide natural light in the basement area. Of particular interest is the interior of the main hall with its original counters and stained glass roof.

Abandoned and neglected but interesting

by gosiaPL

I don't know what this building looks like in 2006 as I am writing this, maybe it's no longer there. But two years ago when I visited, it was in total decay but... very interesting! Some artists painted lots of pictures and installed them in this ruin's windows for a brilliant contrasting effect. Check some close-up pictures in my travelogue.
This is in Rudnayovo Namestie, next to St. Martin's Cathedral if approached from Panska St.

Local Art

by easterntrekker

Infortunately there seems to be an attitude here that graffetti is hip and a good way to express!! Its not so bad when you see it on boarded up buildings but it was also on the lovely and ancient stone walls and just about everywhere else ...

Comments