Kosice Hotels

Our Members Say

• mingul profile photo mingul
  • Reviews: 155

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Penzion Krmanova: Our only chance of accomodation on a Tuesday night

The only place we have been able to find two free double rooms close to Kosice city center on a regular Tuesday night is called Pension Krmanova. The place is conveniently placed at 2 minutes walk close to city center and at another 5 minutes to the train station.

Me and my girl were lucky and we had a decent night's sleep (except for the cold in the room). Being drunk however, we managed to fall asleep despite the persistent chilliness.

Our friends however found a room less well cleaned and had to cope with an ants-invasion.

The staff was not too friendly when they were reported the problem. No refunds, discounts or compensations of any kind were awarded, claiming that "the Boss is out of Slovakia". More than that, they had the guts of calling the Slovak police when our friends were asking to talk to the boss with no further incidents resulted.

There is no such thing as an unique quality to this pension. Maybe that it had two rooms available on a regular Tuesday night.

Oh I almost forgot. Among the UNIQUE Qualities of this place there is the fabulous equipment of the room with a Vintage Casette Player! I will attach the photo of this magnificent gadget.

• Related to: Road Trip, Architecture, Budget Travel
  • Written April 27, 2009

The entrance of Penzion Krmanova

• cyrpawn profile photo cyrpawn
  • Reviews: 5

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Centrum: Centrum Hotel Hell Kosice

Please do not stay at this Hotel (Hostel) in Kosice. I just was forced to sleep one night (September 25, 2008) there. My tour group booked 2 nights at this hell hole. We stayed one, not my choice.
The tour operator was emailed a conformation the day before our stay that the hotel was under minor reconstruction. I have video an pictures of that "minor" reconstruction. Looked like a bombed out building that you see on CNN. No really, the hallways had hanging light fixtures (non-functioning so it was pitch black at night), bare wiring, to enter our room we had to kick rubble out of the way. Once the door was closed, you had to cover your eyes and nose because of the dust falling off the ceiling on to you as the door slammed shut.
Our newly refinished 'modern' room had a thick layer of fine, yellowish dust coating all surfaces. My brother felt compelled to wet a towel and wash down everything in the room. You could see a fine haze, halo-like cloud in the air. It stuck to my contact lenses and everyone who was forced to stay there, had a stuffed up head in the morning.
Why I say we were forced was because the hotel staff only began to call around for decent rooms after 3 requests and while we were watching over them. Of course at nine at night, all group rooms in local hotels were booked. I tried to stay on the bus, they said it was unsafe.
I think it is a hostel because the only guests we saw were young people with backpacks. When they left the hotel, they left their passports. I was kidding when I told friends that I wanted to see where they filmed "Hostel". I didn't want to sleep there.
The elevators were overloaded with 2 people (not skinny, but not super fat) entered them. The way around it was to move around in the elevator until the weight was evenly distributed and the overload light went out.
You could take the stairs but beware, this is where they keep the building debris from the 'minor' reconstruction. There are also no safety lighting. No working fire alarms or other safety items either. We did find one fire extinguisher under the hallway debris.
The 'helpful' staff couldn't help us without the manager. She was at the spa and could not be reached for about 2 hours. She suggested that we upgrade our room to the apartment suite. It was large. It was last slept in in 1974. Dorm-room furniture, carpet from your porch, 2 cable TV channels and a stained couch were the furnishings. The toilet had a pull chain and the tub had a hand held shower with no curtain. At least this room had no dust. My brother had a UV light and we held it around the room and saw many suspicious-looking spots. I guess they removed the police tape right before we arrived there.
The next morning when we were checking out early, our tour manager was apologizing to the staff and they were yelling at him in English how they were going to sue us because we cancelled the 2nd night stay.
I suggest if you want this kind of service and this quality of hotel, go to a newly bombed-out region of 3rd world war-torn country and stay there.

They had no spa or gym, they had no bar (they ran out of drinks at dinner). They had an ice cream machine in the lobby.
The view is that of the abandoned homeless shelter next door. I really liked the graffiti that said "Die" above the doorway.
There was no parking for the hotel and no place for a bus or car to pull up out front to unload luggage. There were no bellmen to assist with the luggage and no carts.
The dining area was small with the kitchen off to the right. It (website for Hotel Centrum) advertises wooden chairs as a perk of dining there.
This hotel may be really nice in the future if they have a huge influx of funds, new management, and develop the abandoned buildings around it.
Check out the website, it has pictures from the 70's and advertises that it is a great place for conferences.

• Related to: Family Travel, Budget Travel, Seniors
  • Written September 28, 2008
Tip Photo

This was the lighting in the hallway

• StuartHearn profile photo StuartHearn
  • Reviews: 22

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Penzion Dubky: A true Haven

Heading towards Kosice on the E571--e58, about 6km before hitting the sudden outskirts of Kosice, and coming from the direction of Bratislava, one finds the Penzion , on the left of the roiad set back about 200 m
The building is new this year, 2008,
Rooms abt 15, very large very comfortable a taste of the modern , with big beds and big bathrooms
There are both indoor and outdoor dining areas, the indoor one is very large, set up for weddings I would guess the outdoors under verandah, , just feels (right)
the food is very very good, and very affordable, I paid 9 whatever the currency is, for a great chicken strongonoff with potatoes, and a wonderful pint of beer along with it
the mini bar is stocked with wines, and beers, and the wines were 3.90 euro a 750ml bottle, I never got to sample these
Single was 50 Euro with full breakfast

Very friendly staff, especially the lady at the front desk, English is very limited, but these folk do anything for you, all it takes is a smile
I had the big double glazed window in my room open, I think in summer a fan would be a must,.
The big area out front is a truck stop, but colourful to watch, many locals dine here, people watching and learning about the locals is , for most of us all part of it
Not much to do here, but I walked in woods out the back

• Related to: Road Trip, Family Travel, Beer Tasting
  • Written September 11, 2008

from road e571

• HORSCHECK profile photo HORSCHECK
  • Reviews: 2605

Penzion Platz

We found Penzion Platz recommended by VT member Ben-UK here on VT. So we decided to give it a try.

We booked our one night stay three days in advance. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful. We got a twin room with private bath for 1200 SKK. It was located right under the roof and had a roof light but no air conditioning. I guess in high season the room can get pretty hot, but for us it wasn't a problem.

The room was spacious and nicely decorated in a wooden homely style. Breakfast wasn't included in the price, but as we had to leave quite early the next morning to get a train to Lviv this was exactly what we wanted.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Trains, Backpacking
  • Written March 15, 2008

Entrance of Penzion Platz

• annamariana profile photo annamariana
  • Reviews: 11

Hotel Dalia in Kosice

A small and comfortable hotel in a pleasant quiet street close to the historical centre of Kosice.

The best hotel restaurant in Kosice - winner of the Magazine TREND´s competition 2006.
Air condition rooms.
Relaxing section - water program.

• Related to: Historical Travel
  • Written September 2, 2007

Hotel Dalia in Kosice - quiet place

• kit_mc profile photo kit_mc
  • Reviews: 386

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Penzion Karmanova: Functional...

We picked this place essentially because we'd been travelling for hours and it was the nearest to the train station. As we'd be spending most of the next day in Bardejov we just wanted a palce to lay our weary bones.

Our room was made up of two single bed/sofas. Comfy enough but really nothing special and maybe even a bit overpriced.

The good thing about this place was the night staff. I was coming back down with really bad flu that I'd had most of the holiday and the staff were really good about getting me a mug of boiling water. Ok, so perhaps it would have been better if the room had a kettle, but I was feeling so sick I was just really grateful!

Overall I don't know that this place is value for money, but there didn't seem a lot of budget accommodation in Kosice. The Penzion Slovakia, next to Rosto Steak House weemed like a very good bet though and appeared to have cheaper rates.

• Related to: Backpacking, Gay and Lesbian, Budget Travel
  • Written May 2, 2005

Penzion Krmanova

• fabbro profile photo fabbro
  • Reviews: 1

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Akademia: clean, central, cheap location

we stayed for on night and searched for the cheapest hotel in town.
Hotel Academy is 10 minutes by foot from the very beautiful old town of Kosice.

The Hotel had its best time at least more than 20 years ago.
The rooms have no design: old furniture but all was clean, even toilet.
The service is good and friendly.

Double room for 20 Euro.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Trains, Skiing and Boarding
  • Written January 15, 2005

Hotel Akademia: clean, central, cheap

• Ben-UK profile photo Ben-UK
  • Reviews: 638

Hotel Slovan

If you fancy something more up-market, then the Hotel Slovan could be for you - but it's not cheap .....

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Written May 20, 2004

Hotel Slovan

• Ben-UK profile photo Ben-UK
  • Reviews: 638

Penzion Platz

Very close to the main square, but quiet --
loft style rooms (well, mine was ...) --
very clean -- friendly staff -- good breakfast -- would definitely stay there again.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Written May 20, 2004

• Mr_Furious profile photo Mr_Furious
  • Reviews: 250

Domov Mladeze YH: youth hostel

An official youth hostel right in one of the vast Kosice suburbs. This place offers standard accomodation in rather basic apartments for little money (230Sk., 6€). Since there were few people staying there when I was in Kosice (August 2003, should be high season) I had a whole room+ bathroom+ toilet for myself.

It was great to have a whole apartment to myself for such a small amount and yet it was all right. The room had a nice terrace with a fantastic view over the suburb. Also the lady from the reception who didn't speak English complimented me because 'I spoke Slovak so well'. Funny thing is that all I said was 'ano' (yes) and 'd'jakujem' (thank you) Haha!

• Written October 30, 2003

kosice

• vichatherly profile photo vichatherly
  • Reviews: 1203

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

The hotel that Martin found for...

The hotel that Martin found for us this time was in the middle of town but unfortunately had a building site outside.

Communal showers were okay for some of the lads and only brightened up by the entrance of the ladies.

Some complained about the state of the rooms, but I think that finding a bra under your bed is always a bonus.

• Related to: Family Travel
  • Written September 8, 2002

• StretfordEnd profile photo StretfordEnd
  • Reviews: 88

Hotel Strojar: Hotel Strojar

$10 US Per Night.

The lift - if it went any faster you'd be lifted off your feet. Seriously, the Strojar is a neat and clean hotel, but very basic. Definately worth a try if the Slovan is full or you are on a budget.

• Written September 8, 2002

• billus profile photo billus
  • Reviews: 1012

Ethnic make-up of the former...

Ethnic make-up of the former Austro-Hungarian Empire in 1918. Kosice was largely German and Hungarian, with a Slovakian hinterland.

• Opinion of Price: