Pension Barca

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data

More about Kosice

Fabulous facility of the room! :)))))Fabulous facility of the room! :)))))

23-07-200823-07-2008

Singing fountainSinging fountain

To Kosice by trainTo Kosice by train

Nyireghyaza- Uzhgorod -Kosice - Budapest

by echel

My wife and I are planning a 3-week car travel through Hungary in September. We'll be leaving the car in Nyireghyaza and go from there to Uzhgorod, Ukraine.
(Best way to get there?).
After 3 or 4 days in Uzhgorod, we'll be travelig to Kosice. What is the best way to get there?
After 3 or 4 days in Kosice we`ll travel to Budapest for the next leg of our trip. What's the best way to get there?
Than you for any help.
Echel

by 68maciek

If I were you I would rather avoid time consuming (long queue and beaurocracy) UA-EU border crossing by car.Rather drive to Nemecke near Michalovce(SK) pass the border by feet and you are almost in Uzhorod.You can get by public transport or taxi downtown.

by GyuriFT

Maybe you should not spend more time in Lvov? Generally, Kosice-Lvov service by train is daily, Budapest-Kosice round-trip is 21 Euro by train. Not sure, you will be faster and cheaper by car.
Kosice-Lvov is cheaper in Slovakia than in Hungary.

If you have 3 weeks in Hungary - you may save a lot not using any car: expect to pay 300-400 Euro / week and the gas is roughly 1 Euro/liter.

by 68maciek

BTW.I' ve red recently on Polish Ukraine forum that Nemecko check point is under renovation, which also means longer queues in Ubla (if I remember another check point in Slovakia name right).

Travel Tips for Kosice

Immaculata, this sculptural...

by Ice.Berg

Immaculata, this sculptural group is situated on the former scaffold site in the square; it was erected by builder Tornyossy and sculptor Grimming in 1720 - 1723. The monument was restored several times, and several statues were replaced by copies. The square is built up with palaces, burghers' houses and sacral buildings.

St. Michael's Chapel located to the south of the Catedral, is a single-nave Gothic edifice from the 14th century. Originally a cemetery chapel, it is the city's second oldest building.

St. Urbain's Tower, a detached medieval bell-tower from 14th century also belongs to the cathedral complex, all of which was originally surrounded by a churchyard wall until 19th century. The Bell of St. Urbain is cast from the former one which was damged by fire.

The State Theatre Built in the middle of square in a park according to the design in the historicizing style be A.A.Lang and Steinhardt at the end of 19th century. The auditorium ceiling-paiting in be P.Gastgeb.

The Forgach palace, an eleven axial two storeyed palace of the nobillity built in Empire style in the early 19th century, now houses the State Science Library.

Jakab Palace, located next to a former mill-race, the palace was built by Jakab, the architect of many Art Nouveau and Romantic buildings. He used rejected stone elements from renovated St. Elisabeth for the construction of this palace at the end of 19th century. Several smal parks with fontains, near the State Theatre an St.Elizabeth´s Cathedral.
One of these fontain is called 'The Singing Fontaine'.

This building in the down town...

by Ice.Berg

This building in the down town of the city has a beautiful history. The legend says:
Ages ago, in Kosice lived a man - a beggar. This beggar lived his boring everydays life and begged for money. Because he was a miserable poor man, kind people gave him a change, money or something else.
But this beggar was a clever guy. He didn´t spend this money. After a years of his beg, he collected a sufficient amount of money and in the center of city he built up this house. And he ordered for this house a statue of beggar,(what you can see at the top of the building) as a memory of fame of beggar form Kosice. That the legend talks...

St. Urban Tower

by HORSCHECK

The St. Urban Tower (Urbanova veza) is a medieval bell tower which was erected in the 14th century.

Unfortunately the tower was severly damaged by fire in 1966, but reconstructed and reopened in 1971.

The St. Urban Bell weighs 7 tonnes. Nowadays the tower is home to a wax museum which exhibits famous people of the Slovak history.

Directions:
Like the St. Michael Chapel also the St. Urban Tower belongs to the cathedral complex at the Central Square (Hlavne namestie) in the old town (Stare Mesto).

They Still Prayed!

by lmkluque

One of the things I had been told about life in Communist countries was that they believed religion to be the "opiate of the masses" and that all churches were systematically closed down. I came to see for myself and you can imagine my surprise when the first stop of our tour of the city center I was the Kosice Dom. (St. Elisabeth's Cathedral.) I asked if we could go inside. We could and we did.

It wasn't the fact that Kosice Dom was such a beautiful, gothic, fourteenth century structure that caught my imagination, it was the fact that once Inside Kosice Dom, I saw that this was an active Church. There were people kneeling in prayer, granted, most of the people were pretty old, but the evidence at the alter proved typical daily activity. This wasn't just a glorious architectural museum, it was a functioning church.

....And it was not the only one in town.

Good thing I don't always believe what I am told.

Miklus Prison...

by coceng

I read in my guidebook that there's a prison with torture equipments displayed in Kosice. Told Marek about this & we searched the old prison. Found it ! We had to ask the opening hours & then waited for the guide to come & led us to the prison.
There's even an English text explaing the equipments displayed inside. Marvelous !
There was also a group of students who were doing their own 'sightseeings' inside the prison.
It's called Miklus Prison.

Comments