Janosikovo nabrezie 1, Liptovsky Mikulas, 034 01, Slovakia
Expedia.com Booking.com Hostelworld.com

Costs 75% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Liptovsky Mikulas

Cora checking available roomsCora checking available rooms

Town SquareTown Square

Travel Tips for Liptovsky Mikulas

Jasna Ski resort

by sanda.muntean

"Ski location"

Located in Liptovsky Mikulas area (Low Tatras Mountains), Jasna is considered on of the most important international sky resort of Slovakia. Not bad! :)
Chopok hill offers you two sides skiing: northern and southern slopes. We choose the north side, but even in this case you have the possibility to ski on the other side too, top of the mountain connecting the sides and downhill tracks.
The landscapes are beautiful and the mountain is mostly forests because the altitude is 900 - 2024 m, so just in the top part is the empty Alpine, but my impression about those mountains is that they are rough, somehow brutal.
They also have thermal water so, after ski, you can enjoy a long, warm, thermal spa treatment.

"Ski devices"

In theory the Jasna ski resort is great:
- 51 km of downhill tracks;
- 28 lifts, 8 chairlifts, 3 cabine cableways, 1 ground cableway;
- snow guaranteed for 5 months
- the longest pist in Slovakia;
- the largest offer of services at the slopes, 3 children's parks, 22 gastronomic facilities, Apres ski bars, attraction on snow
(this informations are from the marketing presentation map :)) ).

So, lets see now the situation from somebody who was there for ski (I'll try not to be very acid because, really, wasn't bad there):
- 51 km of downhill tracks. May be, but they are not all practicable (stay away from the track no. 5, witch is blue, but experimented skiers has a challenge there). OK, maybe was just a matter of season and wasn't enough snow, but better check before try. Another point of view about this 50 km is: if is a little bad weather at the top (OK, bad weather, but just at 2000m altitude), you may ski just on few tracks - 2 or 3 - , witch reduce considerable of those 51 km. (The same story with lifts, cabines, etc.)
- the longest pist in Slovakia: I have no idea but I'll trust their word because is an olimpic pist there;
- snow guaranteed for 5 months: is possible, but they didn't say anything about the quality of the snow. Let's talk about that: I already told you about the track no. 5: this is full of roots and stones under a thin layer of snow. On the other hand, many times I find some frozen snow (natural frozen, not from snowboard), witch is not really a pleasure. You have to know the minimum temperature was -12 Celsius degrees, so, no extreme temperatures.
About the apres ski, gastronomy, is everything nice and ok, about the children - I don't know, I don't have and I didn't check, sorry.

Please don't take this as a criticism: it was a nice vacation and is ok to go there, Slovakia is just begining to develop ski resorts so, year after year will be better and better; but I can't say "It was great!", as I said last year for Austria (of course there is no comparing between this, Austria is having years of experience behind)

"My holiday"

As I said, my Jasna holiday was nice. We arrived in the evening in a coniferous forest with an incredible air. The Liptov Hotel is "lost", "isolated" between tall, old tries, but near tracks. Of course we checked surroundings to see what Jasna offers, and of course we find just hotels, sports and service shops.
First day was accommodation day, I checked just blue tracks (I am a beginner) and one track was too easy, another was too difficult...
Our holiday was 5 and a half days skiing, and two of them was difficult because of the weather: one day was blizzard everywhere, including 1.141 m altitude where we were checked in, and the other day was blizzard just at 1.600m altitude, but still was everything blocked. Anyway, we didn't miss this two days and I like them better than the others because not many people decided to ski on that weather and wasn't so crowded.
This holiday make me decide to complete my ski equipment with a helmet because there were skiers who choose to downhill from the top strait dawn, full speed. Probably is very nice, but I was afraid of them so, I must buy a helmet for next season. Don't imagine now there was a chaos (it was a kind of chaos sometime) but not many accidents, very few in facts so, is just me who is crazy :)
We spend our evenings in hotel, drinking with some friends and playing with "dogs stuff". "Dogs stuff" are Cora and Jessy, two nice white female dogs who animated the place; Cora is very shy and Jessy is "the diva", very friendly, loves to sit in your lap.
Here I discovered "Marlenka". "Marlenka" is a very good cake, chocolate or honey cake, witch I eat every day after ski. This was a great think! :))
A strange think there is that the people doesn't really speak English: except the receptionist and bartender, the others just understand some English (they said they are an international ski resort). Anyway we understand each other somehow... If you speak German, you have double chances of success.
The last day is memorable for me, because we decided to go again on a red track what we tried one day before and it was ok. But in this day wasn't ok because the snow was frozen and the ski slip on track. The slope was pretty steep (at least for me) and the time was pressing because at noon the bus left the resort. It was quite a downhill for me and at the finish I said "I'm dome skiing!". After two cigarettes and a shot I convinced myself I have to go back on track (another one) and make one more downhill if I want to continue this kind of holidays. I did it and I'm glad I did it, because now I am ok and look forward for the next ski holiday and the bad memory is now a good one because was a challenge with a happy ending.

DEMANOVSKA CAVES

by Asik

"THE DEMANOVSKA CAVE OF LIBERTY"

Length of pathway: A - 1145 m, B - 2150 m
Duration of the guided tour: A - 60 min., B - 100 min
Open for the public: 2.1.-15.11. a 15.12.-31.12.
Closed: 16.11.-14.12., 24.-26.12., 1.1., on Mondays

The cave length is 8,126 m. Sinter „water-lilies" and other lacustrine forms, as well as eccentric stalactites are unique among phenomena of sinter filling. Mighty sinter waterfalls and stalagnates, sphaerolithic stalactites and many other diverse forms of stalactites and stalagmites are captivating.

for more info see:

"THE DEMANOVSKA ICE CAVE"

Length of pathway: 850 m
Duration of the guided tour: 45 min.
Open for the public:15.5.-30.9.
Closed:1.10.-14.5., on Mondays

Ice filling occurs in the lower parts of the cave. Ground ice, ice columns, stalactites and stalagmites are present.
for more info see:

New Year's Eve

by Maggies

Few years ago, my friends and I used to go to Slovakia to celebrate New Year's Eves there. I think we were had been going there for 3 years in the row.
The skiing is great here and the partying is cheap and it's fun too. Definitelly worth trying.

Comments