Sportova 1397/1, Poprad 058 01, Slovakia
Expedia.com Booking.com Hotels.com

More about Poprad

big map hanging on Namestie sv. Egidiabig map hanging on Namestie sv. Egidia

view from the hotelview from the hotel

ImmaculataImmaculata

my teamy tea

Train from Poprad to Budepest

by khoo88

Hi members,
Six of us will be travelling from Poprad to Budepest via Bratislava.We will be travelling from Poprad to Bratislava by train type RR on Sunday and after a 3 hours break in Bratislava,proceed by Eurocity to Budapest.All of us hold European East Pass first class.Do we have to reserve seats on these trains and is the reservation valid for the whole journey or we have to reserve seats twice?How much is the seat reservation?All the rail websites info me about the timetable and ticket prices but none can tell me about seat reservation!
Thanks

Re: Train from Poprad to Budepest

by marekg

in case of EC trains, only as many tickets is sold as the train has seats. once you have ticket, you can be sure there`s a place for you in the train.

if the pass doesn`t says anything on the exact date and time and train you`ll travel the seat reservation is needed.

The seat reservation is for 15,-skk according to D5K tariff that is to be applied to EC train use and EuroEastPass holding.

Travel Tips for Poprad

Lake Moskie Oko...

by coceng

If you have the time while in Poprad, please take a day to enter Poland, it's only about 1 hour by car or bus.

One place that one should go is Moskie Oko or Lake Moskie in the Tatras Mountain Range in south of Poland. We have to walk, or rather hike (but for disabled people, there would be a van to reach the lake on top of the mountain).

From Poprad, we can take the bus to Lysa Polana, the border between Slovakia & Poland but in Polish terratory....From here, we can take the bus (about every half an hour) to reach a big car park where there are coaches/buses, vans & from here we can start walking/hiking to reach the top of one of the mountains to see a stunning lake called Moskie Oko.

This lake is amazingly beautiful. It took me about 2 hours, roughly about 8 km, from the car park to reach the lake but it took me about 1 hour & a half going down back to the carpark.

The walking is not too tiring because we can see old folks, students, young people happily walking pass one another to reach the lake! The feeling is a happy one.

My Trip To Poprad

by Rick65

"Poprad"

This is my second trip to Poprad. I have lived in Florida most of my life so I have not really been in snow or have ever seen mountains until I travled to this wonderful part of Europe. I have some friends that live there and I was invited there to visit.
On this visit I did not have to stay at a hotel, my friend let me stay at her flat (apartment) while she stayed with her mother. I found that everyone there was very nice and that once they founf out I was American they seemed to get nier. My Friend said that is because Poprad is trying to become more tourist accessible.
From the full airflight on Czech Air to my stay there I had a wonderful time and plan on going back as soon as I can.

"Kosice"

I travelled one day to Kosice which is where the nearest large airport is located to Poprad. My friend and I went there for a day trip and walk down one of the most beautiful streets I think I have ever seen. We made is as far as the Cathedral for Saint Elizabeth before the weather turned sour and we returned to the rental car.
Also do not expect ot get a rental car that is like anything here in the states. It was suufficient for us to do our travelling but I would hate to drive it everyday.

The Chilly Poprad

by coceng

"Our Last Destination in Slovakia"

KOSICE<<<<<POPRAD>>>>>TATRA MOUNTAINS

SLOVAKIAWednesday 15th May 2002I remember arriving in Poprad feeling so chilly. Marek was next to me. The warmest of friendship kept me from going insane, almost. Looming from afar, the High Tatras stood majestically. The train station looked so drab it scared me. Let's walk to the town centre, Marek comforting me. On the way, a gypsie asking for a free cigarette. No way. He said something to Marek, gossiping me of course. I gave him the one that I had between my fingers to the gypsie.
Marek was telling me that it's no big deal is somebody asking for a ciggi, we just give him. I said, it's a big deal to me. It's my ciggi & it's up to me if I want to give it to somebody or not. You remember this small tiff yes Marek ?
In Malaysia, cigarettes are expensive, like money, yes. I don't want to give my money away as I don't want to give my cigarettes away ! Period.
Anyway, checked to a hotel. Nice & affordable. Took a hot shower. Love it.
Opened the hotel window to have a better view of the High Tatras. I could even smell the mountains.
We went out & walked around Poprad town. Nice town indeed. Unlike the drab train station. had meals. Took photos. Checked at the bus station if there's a direct bus to Zakopane. No more. All tickets booked/sold.
Went back to the hotel & had a hot shower (again). Planned with Marek for the following day. 'Packed' ourself for the night for another exciting day tomorrow.
Woke up early. Went to the bus station. 2 old men from UK started to chat us up. They had never met a Slovak guy up close they said.
Got on the bus, 4 of us as the oldies were also going to Poland.
Arrived at Lysa Polana (Slovak-Polish border) & stamped our passports.
I continued to Lake Moskie Oko & Marek plus the oldies took another trip somewhere further up.
Me & Marek would meet again in Zakopane, minus the oldies of course. All hells break lose when I bumped into them again in Krakow & they occupied the same room that I booked !
So, Poprad I can say is one point to enter Poland. The town has some nice restaurants & a good atmosphere as well. It's lively with people, this Poprad town.
If you want to go to the High Tatras from Slovakia, it is definitely a town not to be missed !

A MUST SEE...Poprad......is a town which is about 10 km from the mountain...& it is a good base to explore the Tatras Mountain Range (The High Tatras..), Spis Region & Slovensky Raj.
It has a nice main square called namesti svateho Egidia...lined with shops & eateries. The Poprad-Tatry Airport, the highest in Europe, is about 5 km west of town.
Poprad....;our 5th & last destination in Slovakia...Me & Marek arrived in Poprad in the afternoon from Kosice
We had the time to wander around the town...& checked in to a hotel, for an early sleep because we had to get up early to take the bus to continue to Lysa Polana in Poland/Slovakia border.
If anybody knows the name of this building ( photo on the left...), please let me know...thanks in advance.

In The Distance...The Tatras Mountain Range, captured by my camera from my hotel window...

Please take a look at the travel tips that I could offer, below, if you are in Poprad.

Thank You.