Športová 1397/1, Poprad, Slovakia
Expedia.com Hotels.com Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Poprad

our busour bus

some camel beautysome camel beauty

Poprad at nightPoprad at night

Hawaiian PizzaHawaiian Pizza

Night Train from Prague to Poprad

by RazG

I'm planning a trip in September
I would like to include a trip from Prague to the Slovakia Tetra mountain area.
I would like to use a Night Train from Prague to Slovakia and back journey.

My questions :
1) Does such an option exist ?
2) Does anyone knows of a site to check timetable and fares

Re: Night Train from Prague to Poprad

by Gelli

Depending which day you travel on, there are no fewer than 5 overnight trains (one with a change at 5am ish plus one direct arriving at 3.40am...). All info is Praha - Poprad Tatry, although there are services to other towns in the area depending exactly where you are heading

Departure from Praha hl N at 20:23, 21:23 taking about 9 hours, which mean you arrive at 5:30 or 6:30. The latest leaves at 00:20 and takes 10hours.

Best bet (to arrive at a decent time!) is the 23:10 departure, which gets you in at 08:31 (train continues to Kosice if that helps).

The two best return journeys leave at 21;47 and 23:40.

Time table info an be found at the German Rail site

Unfortunately there is NO reliable reliable pricing for Int'l rail journeys in Europe available on the web, except for a few special cases (i.e Eurostar) and certain Germany to Austria/Switzerland trains. However, at a rough estimate, i'd say it will be about 50usd each way, plus maybe 5usd for a couchette, but that is very rough.

HTH.
If you've got any more questions/queries, just ask

Rich

Re: Re: Night Train from Prague to Poprad

by RazG

Thanks

Raz

Re: Night Train from Prague to Poprad

by jkey

1) It does, frequently used by trekkers going to Tatras. Check idos.cz (and my prague travel tips how to use idos :-)
2) One-way ticket 20-30EUR +~4EUR for couchette or more for bed. If you split the ticket into two parts (czech domestic ticket to border + international from border to Poprad), you'll save about 10% (just buy two tickets, no need to leave/enter train etc.)

Travel Tips for Poprad

Tatras Mountains...

by coceng

I can also mention Tatras Mountains.

If you are in Lake Morskie Oko, you are already in the High Tatras !

Do spend a few hours here. Beautiful sceneries, trees, forests. Floras & faunas. Just don't get lost. Make sure you take the correct routes.

Poprad

by aroundtheglobe

I've been to Poprad for new years eve 2005 / 2006. The small town center is very cozy and quaint, while the suburbian area rather appears like a former sovjet city. According to my experience this is usual for eastern europe and it doesn't change the charming atmosphere of this town next to the high tatra mountains

Back to the Promised Land - Part 1

by RandomDreamer

"Prosim!"

When I was in Poland I met the most polite beggar in the world. He came up to me at Krakow bus station and said “Excuse me, I am missing one Zloty. Could you possibly replace it?” Unfortunately, the same cannot be said about his Slovak counterparts. One thing I remembered about Slovakia from my previous visit that it was the most friendly place in the world. My theory was being somewhat disproved when I found myself being chased down the street in Poprad by a Gyspsy shouting “Prosim! Prosim!” whilst sticking his hand out in front of my face. He’d run about 50 metres to get to me and didn’t let me go until I’d ignored him for a good couple of minutes.

So Welcome to Poprad! A big, industrial nothing town at the foot of the Tatra Mountains in the east of Slovakia. A major transport hub for skiers and hikers going to the High Tatras and anybody else heading anywhere else in Slovakia. I had an hour or so to kill and was about to experience my first major language barrier which would prove to be the theme for the day. After cockily ordering my train ticket to Trencin care of my GCSE German, the smug look was wiped off my face in my attempt to find food in the only café in the area. After a poorly played game of charades, I gave up as I didn‘t have the slightest clue of their extensive menu in English and neither did the staff. I resigned by pointing at a lonesome salami roll and, stale bread in hand, I headed to the train station and awaited my ride. Poprad station was an experience for me; being used to the organised and well planned British stations, I was amazed by this mass of railway lines with only one platform at the edge. Every time a train came, people would hop across the different lines in their masses and climb onto their train whilst their family and friends stood on the tracks and waved goodbye. I’m assuming that Health and Safety laws aren’t so strict out here.

Comments