Penzion Fantazia

More about Poprad

29-07-200829-07-2008

Tatra trainTatra train

bell towerbell tower

my tasty dishmy tasty dish

Pension Sabato

by doofus

I was just wondering if anyone has stayed in Pension Sabato in Poprad and could let me know something about it please. Many thanks, Peter

RE: Pension Sabato

by zizkov

I haven't stayed in Poprad, but I spent a couple of hours there, and... wouldn't you rather stay up in the Tatras? Not far, and much nicer.

by doofus

You could possibly be right. I was looking to have Poprad as a base and then visit all the places by train, bus etc. If you could suggest some alternative I would be ready to listen. regards, peter

by doofus

Thanks for that. I was thinking of using Poprad as a base and taking buses or trains to visit other places. Where would you base yourself if you were me? i will be with my wife, both in our late fifties.

I do appreciate and help or advice you could give. regards, Peter

RE: Pension Sabato

by zizkov

Well, to use Poprad as a base, it depends what you want to do. If you want to see places in the lowlands, I'm still sure there would be much nicer towns to stay in. The kindest description of Poprad would be 'very ordinary'. The best thing there is probably the view of the Tatras. Up in the mountains, the villages are around 3000-4000 plus feet (in fact in Strbske Pleso I was struck by the fact that the village was higher up than Ben Nevis). Quiet but charming, clear mountain air, forests - and there are regular train to Poprad if required. I stayed in Novy Smokovec; Tatranske Lomnicka looked nice as well. Strbske Pleso seemed 'just' a resort. And the falls mentioned above are great, a fairly easy walk just to them. And I saw some older than you (Germans, mainly) out on the trails.

by PaulWiktorko

We based ourselves at the Villa Siesta in Sibir - part of Stary Smokovec.
The train stop is at the top of the road. It is clean and comfortable and very good value for money at the price in my opinion. See www.villasiesta.com

Travel Tips for Poprad

Poprad between the high and low Tatra

by MATIM

Poprad lies between the high and low Tatra in East Slovakia. Close to a nature area Slovensky ray (Slovak paradise)
You can reach Poprad by E50 Liptovsky and Mikulas to Presov, but also by train and bus.
I wasn’t very long in Poprad, only visit the main street with it’s beautiful in very good state, historical houses.
And the small vegetable/ fruit market where I bought a delicious melon.

...Poprad...

by KiNyA

Despite a bit of Spis architecture and a cantral square that's cheerful at the end of the day, Poprad is not a place to go out of your way visiting. However, it's a handy gateaway to the High Tatras, a source of provisions at ordinary Slovak prices.

In the middle of namestie svateho Egidia are two churshes, one sporting Spis-style 'gablets'. Natural history, town history and ethnography feature at the Tatra Region Museum (Podtatranske muzeum) on Vajanskeho.

Comments