Atrium Hotel

Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Poor

Rated 17% lower than similarly priced 3.5 star hotels

More about Vysoke Tatry

Traditional house on the way down from HrebienokTraditional house on the way down from Hrebienok

Driving along Cesta SlobodyDriving along Cesta Slobody

Not so bare any longerNot so bare any longer

The mountains now visibleThe mountains now visible

Connections from Poprad Airport

by ct_s

I am flying alone into Poprad Airport next month for a few days in the High Tatras (probably Tatranska Lomnica).

Could someone please confirm whether it is possible to catch a train from the airport or must I travel into Poprad itself ?

Is it just better to hire a taxi from airport to hotel - what would be a reasonable cost?

Thanks in advance.

RE: Connections from Poprad Airport

by joannemaz

Pretty sure there's no train service from the airport. The journey to Tatranska Lomnica is around 12km and shouldn't cost more than around 350,-Sk (£7-7.20) in a taxi.

Enjoy your trip!

by Crazybrab

No need to use a taxi. The city bus no. 12 serves the airport, connecting it to the autobusova stanica (bus station)

RE: RE: RE: Connections from Poprad Airport

Thanks Joanne.

That's great, I'll use a taxi then.

Regards.

by MountainParadise

Hi

There are buses which will take you to the main bus station in Poprad, this is connected to the train station where you can get the train. The train runs from Poprad to Strbske Pleso with Tatranska Lomnica being around the stop in the middle.

Matt

Thanks Matt.

This will be useful information for others, but I will use a taxi.

Travel Tips for Vysoke Tatry

Hiking in the High Tatras

by barryg23

Our High Tatras hike started early at Tatranska Lomnica and ended that evening in Stary Smokovec. Our initial plan was to walk the blue trail to Hrebienok, then hike back down to Stary Smokovec. As most of the mountains were still covered in clouds we saw little point in trying to ascend to any of the summits.

For the first part of the trail we followed the purple ski route parallel to the path of the cable cars in Tatranska Lomnica. After about 100m climbing we switched to a blue path heading west. This was very muddy at first and we had to walk along the side of it to prevent our clothes and shoes being ruined.

Most people we had seen so far had been on their way up to Skalnate Pleso so we had the blue path to ourselves for long periods of time. There was a friendly Slovakian guy who indicated how to get onto the blue path initially at the start, a couple of mountain bikers (not easy on this terrain) and the odd person or couple walking to Lomninca. But otherwise it was quiet. We were on a path in the middle of woodland so the scenery was unchanging and for the most part unspectacular.

But that all changed as we approached the river. Out of nowhere we came upon a bridge and large groups of people. This was where the blue path met the green one from Hreboniek, hence the crowds. There were lovely views from the bridge to the south where we could see the river winding its way through the wood, while to the north there were mini waterfalls and the highest Tatra peaks in the distance. I think the river was called Story Potovec. We continued on the blue path up the left side of the river, where there were even nicer views and better scenery.

High Tatras - Studeny Potok to Zamkovskeho Chata

by barryg23

There was a small chaty at Studeny Potok which sold a limited amount of food and drink. It was still too early for lunch but we stopped for a brief rest and looked inside the chaty which seemed very cosy. Smoke was coming from the chimney and it looked very cosy. It must be a nice feeling arriving at one of these places to stay the night after a full day's hike. I was surprised at how many people were drinking beer but that's the Slovakians for you!! I know these trails were relatively easy but nevertheless you do need to watch where you're going and it is easy to lose footing.

We decided to take the red trail to the Obrovsky Vodopad waterfalls higher up which had been mentioned in our guide book. By our reckoning it would be lunchtime when we arrived there and there was bound to be a good spot to eat. The red trail straightaway became rocky and there was no longer a smooth path. We found this quite sore to walk on and it was much more difficult than the blue trail we had been on all morning. You have to constantly watch where you are going, making it more difficult to enjoy the views.

The path was very busy with Slovaks of all ages. They start young here and I was surprised by the number of kids on the trails. Many adults were carrying babies in specially constructed backpacks.

Not long after we started on the red trail we came to the waterfall. It was very impressive and there was a bridge in front of it from where you could take pictures. There were no places to stop for lunch however so we decided to push on to the chaty whihch was about 30 minutes up the red trail. We soon came to another scenic sight with a stream flowing over rocks near another bridge. This was great spot for pictures and I climbed up the slippy rocks to pose for one. A few minutes further along the trail brought us beyond the wood and onto the most scenic section of the walk. I had read about how great the views were along the Tatranska Magistral and now I could see it for real. We could see all the way down the mountains to the towns in the distance. I presumed this was Stary Smokovec but it was hard to tell. In the other directions we could see snow and cloud topped peaks rising in the distance. It was breathtaking sight and every few minutes we would stop to take a picture better than the previous one. At a hairpin bend we turned and now had the mountain views in front of us and the town bellow us.

We were both hungry so on we went as fast as possible to the chaty.

My Pol'ana pod Muran'om

by evaanna

You mustn't tell the Slovaks but whenever I was there I considered their Pol'ana pod Muran'om as mine and mine only. I could spend hours there staring at the mountains in the distance from my bench or watching the Javorinka river from the wooden bridge or exploring the trails nearby, or swinging on a narrow bridge - just three planks and a wooden railing - a few yards away. There were hardly ever any people there, just a few hikers on their way from the trails passed me from time to time or a TANAP car rattled past. The rest of the time the only sound I could hear was that of the brawling river. Once I saw something brown disappear in the bushes, but looked at it too late to say what it was. An animal probably. I knew bears sometimes came there and even once heard some growling, but , strangely enough, I felt safe there, afraid of neither people nor nature.

When it rains

by evaanna

A rainy day in the Tatras can be very peaceful, a rest from hiking, time for observation and reflection. I like listening to rain pattering on the roof and watching the low clouds caressing the hills and the forest. I could watch their movement for hours. All things are quiet, no sound of log saws from afar, only the cow bells and sometimes the baaing of the sheep in the meadow nearby.

Studenovodske Vodopady

by Skipka

Waterfalls can be seen when you will take a cab to Hrebienok from Stary Smokovec, it is also for lazy tourists :) Don't make a stop in Bilikova chata (just for stamped postcards for your collection :)) because if you will take some beers here you will never reach the finish :) When on Hrebienok follow the tourist mark and you will find wonderful waterfalls!

Comments