Gostilna Pri Katrci

AMOMA.com

Satisfaction Average

• leics's Profile Photo

Open 24 hours

Interesting place this. About 20 minutes walk from the town centre, in the midst of university halls of residence and quiet residential streets, it's a gostilna/pension which is extremely popular with students and is open 24 hours a day.

I visited in August, so there were no students, and the place was pretty quiet. Nevertheless, I'd avoid it if you are a light sleeper (my ear-plugs were much appreciated). Traffic noise is certainly not a problem but any 24-hour place is going to have 24-hour noise, and they also have live bands/events etc in term-time.

The room was clean and spacious (I had a double), though some minor repairs were needed. Weirdly, no-one cleaned the room during my stay (5 nights); I can only assume that this was because things were so quiet and they had few staff). The main lady in charge had no English (the owner is lovely, and speaks good English), so I didn't bother to explore further (I wasn't particularly fussed anyway).

The young bar staff were very pleasant, speaking English (so I didn't get to practise my Slovenian much). Breakfast was simple; bread/cheese/ham/whatever (with scrambled eggs if you choose, though I didn't) and very good coffee. They serve meals throughout the day (and night) portions are huge, quality is good and price is low.

Unique Quality: Ideal for younger people wanting a fun place to stay (even more so when students are around, I imagine), but not particularly cheap. It's not really sure whether it wants to be a hostel or a 'pension', I think; best not to expect hotel standards of service, and accept its quirkinesses.

I also had to pay for all the accommodation in advance, on arrival.

Email: gostilna.katrca@volja.net

Directions: Quite a distance from the railway/bus station, near Tivoli Park. Bus 14 passes nearby

Comments