Hostel Simbol Castle

Booking.com Hostelworld.com HostelBookers.com

Satisfaction Poor

• Avieira67's Profile Photo

Ljubljana Central Hostel

I only stayed here for a night, but I found here an excellent location and service.
    There is no better location to stay in Ljubljana if you enjoy the feel the heart of this city and stay in a quite place, close to Dragon bridge and if front of Ljubljanica River.
    This hostel is very well managed. Dorms go with private barthroom and are very clean.
    Internet is for free.

Directions: From Preseren Square turn left until Dragon bridge. Without crossing this bridge go ahead some metres.

• Bada-Ran's Profile Photo

Did not find the most central place

The place we stayed in Ljubljana is the Hostel Simbol. There are two of these, and we stayed in the one outside the city.
    It really wasn't that great. the hostel was like unfinished, the ONLY and small bathroom for 10 people got quite dirty rapidly. The kitchen was poorly equipped, like ONLY 3 forks for more than 10 people, two glasses, and very few cooking pots.

Also, it was quite far from the city centre, like 25 minutes walking. So if they tell you "it's 17€ per night" you might think "oh so cheap", but then you have to add the 1€ one way ticket, wich does not happen if you're staying in the centre.
    Also, I've seen on their website they offer "free towels" wich I'm still waiting to get (I'm back home already!!) and the "faboulous air conditioning" DID NOT work in the whole hostel during the 3 days we stayed there, which simply means it was even installed properly (but they are proud to remark it)
    What else? Oh yes! the guy who runs the hostel said "there's a bus that leaves you in the station". I guess it was also a lie, as the bus left you at about 10-15 minutes from the station, which made us loose 2 TRAINS!!!!
    waht else? OH YES! the guy offered us a "six bed room" at a price, or a "4 bed room" a bit more expensive, so we chose the 4 one. well, it was a five bed room, not 5, not 6.

There are some many small lies with this hostel that I can only feel ripped off!!! It would have been ok with a bit of honesty and truth, but they preferred to offer something it was NOT.

Unique Quality: The quarter is quite, nice, and you have a supermarket and a bar just right on the corner.

Directions: From the main train station the receptionist picks you up. If he does not, you have to go to the main avenue (about 10 minutes walk), then bus nº 1 and get out just after the canal.

• pure1942's Profile Photo

Hostel

Hostel Simbol Castle is an excellent newly opened hostel in the centre of Ljubljana. The hostel is situted very close to the dragon Bridge and is located only a short 5 minutes walk to Presernov Trg and Triple Bridge. the hostel is very comfortable with dorm bedroom and shared bathrooms. The hostel is bright and clean with a very modern touch. The hostel has it's own cleaning staff who make the beds every day and is very secure with outer gate and door as well as personal lockers and keys.

Unique Quality: The hostel provides free internet and wireless access in every room. There are cooing facilities but the cooking area is quite cramped. The only other gripe I have is that the common area is small but other than that I I was very pleased with the hostel and staff. I would stay again and would recommend the hostel to anybody.

Directions: From the train station exit and turn left. Cross the road and turn right onto Resljeva Street. When you reach dragon bridge turn left and you will see the hostel on the left after about 100 metres.

• monkeytrousers's Profile Photo

Hostel Simbol Castle

This was an excellent hostel located on the door-step of the old town. It is newly built and is quite luxurious for a hostel. There is a small kitchen and fridge in each of the dorm rooms along with an en-suite bath/shower room. There is free internet access and cable TV in the lobby and staff on hand at most times for advice. I would highly recommend this hostel.

It can be a bit hard to find as the numbers on the street go a bit missing. Head along the street until you see a courtyard with what looks like new offices on the courtyard floor where you think it is....the reception is first door on the right.

More about Hostel Simbol Castle

Slovenia to Serbia and Back (Day 1&2)

by pure1942

"First Impressions"

March 18th 2008
I fly into Ljubljana today from Brussels with Brussels Airlines. For some reason I've had a feeling for a while, that that I would love Slovenia and my feelings were only strenghtened on the flight in. The flight in to the country showed off the natural beauty of the area. We flew down through a valley in the Julian alps with snowcapped mountains and green forests and valleys. Slovenia was already making a lasting impression and I hadn't even set foot on land.

"Day 1 - Ljubljana"

March 18th 2008
I arrived into the city at around 17.30 and set off to find my hostel. It was no trouble and was only five minutes walk from the train station. The hostel I'm staying in is called Hostel Simbol Castle and is located on the banks of the Ljubljanica River near the Dragons Bridge. Nice comfortable hostel with bright spacious rooms and great facilities, except the broken shower.
Took a walk around the city to get my bearings. Had a look at some of the main sights but saving my real exploring until tommorow.
Thinks I have chosen my destination wisely. Ljubljana seems to be a beautiful city and the people are friendly and welcoming.

"Day 2 - Ljubljana"

Woke early this morning to find the city under a blanket of snow! Wasn't expecting it but it wasn't going to last so I said I'd make the most of it while it was there. The snow quickly turned into cold sleet but it still doesn't dampen the charm of the city, especially around the Old Town.
Going to look at the astle and Tivoli Park in more detail in the afternoon as well as the southern part of the city.

What a difference a couple of hours make. After this morning's cold snow and sleet I thought it would be freezing all day, but it really brightened up and there is a lovely blue sky at the moment.
Went up to the castle (lazily by the funicular) and spent a while up there looking around and then went for a closer look at The Church of St. Nicholaus. I'm not really one for churches but this one is really impressive.
Took a stroll down through the cobbled streets along Mestni Trg towards the south of the city and back to Republic Square. Not the best of Ljubljana's Squares though, much prefered Kongresni Trg.

Went up to Tivoli Park too and made friends with a random squirrel who must have thought I had something for him to eat. Never saw a squirrel come so close before!
The snow was still set on the grass which made the walk through the park nice. Came across the American Embassy nearby, which is housed in a very interesting building as well a Tivoli Mansion

Day 3 of my travellogue is on my Zagreb page

Tips fpr Ljubljana in June

by parabill

Going in June of 08, any tips especially for inexpensive accommodations.

by novsco61

Check my Ljubljana pages. There are really lot of tips .

by Maurizioago

Bit Center Hotel is one of the cheapest hotels in Ljubljana. See the address and the location in my Ljubljana page or google a bit.

by sabsi

Hi!

I stayed in Vila Veselova last summer and found it to be one of the nicest hostels I have ever stayed in. In general cheap accommodation is hard to find in Ljubljana so I think the 30 EUR I paid for a night in an ensuite private double room where good value.

The website is http://www.v-v.si

Hope this helps!
Sabs

by Lady_Godiva

Take a day trip to Bled! Ljubljana is ok, but Bled is one of the most scenic places I've ever visited - with the castle on the hill, the church in the middle of the lake and snow-capped mountains in the distance... It takes an hour to reach there by bus from Ljubljana and costs around 6 or 7 euros return.

by vojc

For accomodation I suggest youth hostel Celica. It is nearly in the center of the town and in hostel you will meet people from all over. Anyway you can find in the city many things to do, you will not get bored for sure.

by Lady_Godiva

Oh yes - I just stayed at Hostel Celica last week. It's been named hippest hostel in the world by Lonely Planet and it's amazing. It used to be an old prison, so if you don't mind paying a bit extra instead of staying in a dorm, then stay in one of the funkily designed cell rooms (they're 25 euros per night, including breakfast, towel and linen).

If I got my act together and got my Ljubljana page sorted I could show you pictures!

by mikey_e

I concur with the suggestions to stay in Celica, but whatever you do don't stay in Europark!!! It is a horrible hotel and you are better off staying in a hostel and paying less for accomodations that are probably of better or quality than Europark.

Both times I was in Slovenia were in June and I agree that Bled is a beautiful spot to visit, but Ljubljana is also beaufitul at that time of the year and it really is magical to spend time in the city on a warm spring night.

by pure1942

Hey ya,
I hear that Celica Hostel is a really good hostel but was booked up when I was visiting. However I can also recommend Hostel Simbol Castle which is a really good hostel. I have a detailed description on my Ljubljana page with photos.
Brian