Youth Hostel Uni Hotel

Youth Hostel Uni Hotel
Booking.com Expedia.com Hotels.com

Satisfaction Average

• christine.j's Profile Photo

More a hotel than a hostel

I have not stayed there, but my daughter has and I saw her room, so I think I can write about it.

She stayed in the hostel for several weeks. Because this was longer than most others, she was upgrated to a double for single use. I saw the room, a large room with a nice bathroom ( even a bathtub instead of a shower) and a small hallway. There is a long desk, perfect for working, with a TV set. Free internet access in the room, but you need a lan cable.
    There is even a fridge in the room.

The hostel is in the centre of Maribor, about 20 minutes walk from the train station.
    Breakfast was not included, my daughter paid 32 Euro per day. Parking is 5 Euro per day and tourist tax is 1,01 Euro per day.

I admit when I first heard the price I thought that's quite a lot for a hostel, but when I say the room I realized it was worth it. Still, if you're staying for several weeks, it does add up.

More about Maribor

Tomšičev drevoredTomšičev drevored

of simple, modest layoutof simple, modest layout

view from the Main bridgeview from the Main bridge

under this building- Kaosunder this building- Kaos

Pohorje Ski Resort

by Dundalk

When do the slopes open and what are the chances of decent skiing in the first or second weeks of December? Thanks, and a Pivo to the first responder!! Dan

Re: Pohorje Ski Resort

by croisbeauty

Hardly, you have to go there in January or February.
After such an long and hot summer the winter has to be long, cold and snowy.

Re: Re: Pohorje Ski Resort

by KristaB

Last year, end of November and December were great for skiing, but from end of Dec it started to warm up and the snow was heavy (see my Maribor page).
The fact is they are very good with artificial snow, so even if the weather is warming, still you have a perfect snow in the morning and late evening (slopes illuminated untill 22.00).
Eh, that Boris (Croisbeuaty), he is so fast, have to test him on ski slopes, but I'd rather have a glass of hot wine anyway.
Good luck!

Re: Re: Pohorje Ski Resort

by croisbeauty

Your response is much better then mine Kristina, so you deserve that beer.

Travel Tips for Maribor

Head out into the countryside...

by richiecdisc

Head out into the countryside and do the Vinska Cesta or wine route which starts in Ormoz and ends in Ljutomer with the hilltop vineyard of Jeruzalem the highlight. Now, first off, I like wine, I really do, but have spent a good portion of the last ten years in search of rare beers and their accompanying experiences. That’s not to say I haven’t done my fair share of wine tours as well. From Australia to Chile, if in an area renowned for wine, I am all for trying them. And so I found myself in Slovenia, trying of all things, beer. Why I really can’t say. I managed to find some good ones, but it was at the cost of drinking a lot of poor quality beers as well. And so it was time to try some wine, and really it was for this reason that I ventured to eastern Slovenia. That, and I had this choir recital to go to. Yeah, that’s right, ME at a choir recital. Well, I had to go. Tanja had been nice enough to show me around her native country and her choir was giving a recital. It was the least I could do, but more on that later. As luck would have it, we would have to travel to the very far east of Slovenia and there would be a lot of wine (and beer) en route. The best bit was called the Jeruzalem wine route and we lucked out with just a perfect day and though I had anticipated the good wine, I had no idea just how picturesque it would be. It was hilly and lush, with rows of grape vines, and dotted with small wineries and craftsmen selling their wares. After stopping at a few of both, we happened upon a place that Tanja swore was the most famous of the white wine producers of Slovenia and so we ventured into the small house where the owner obviously lived. He greeted us warmly and happily brought us back to his storage facilities, which were lined with great wooden barrels. It wasn’t beer but I salivated nonetheless. It was a classic tasting, starting out with a tasty table wine right from the cask. It was nice, as you would expect from the nation’s top producer, even for the “cheap” stuff. He spoke very little English but was happy to welcome his very first American visitor. I thought this strange that such a famous vineyard had never brought one thirsty pilgrim from across the pond. He made the usual progression from fruity and sweeter wines to the driest, each bringing more to the plate and palate. I couldn’t believe my luck to be standing in this cellar, and enjoying such fine products with the owner of the vineyard no less. We asked about places to eat in the area and he said we were welcome to have lunch there. They cured their own ham and would put something out for us as long as we did not mind something simple. Mind?? Enthralled would have been a better word. He gathered up all the bottles he’s opened for us and sat us outside at a picnic table, bringing out delicious crude home-cured ham, homemade buckwheat bread and a cake, pickles, and a white spread I can imagine to be have been more or less lard. It was delicious and went well with the assortment of wines he left for our casual enjoyment. He said we were welcome for dinner as they had a birthday party for his son that day, but we had to push on. Of course, after such hospitality, I felt obliged to buy some wine so ordered a bottle of each of the five types he produced as well as a five-liter container of his table wine. I asked how much it would come to for everything and he calculated in his head for a few moments what the wine and lunch would cost as I nervously awaited a sum I might not have enough to pay. When the words 5000 SIT came from his lips, I sat in disbelief, perhaps wary of my knowledge of the currency exchange. I sheepishly handed over the equivalent of $20 and after goodbyes the befitted a family member going off to war, climbed in the car, bound for new adventures. Tanja explained it was in fact not the famous vineyard she had thought. This guy had the same last name and was allowed to use it as well. Who cared? It was great wine and I had found a new friend who for that one day at least, was the greatest artist of the grape in all of Slovenia.

The Cathedral

by croisbeauty

The Cathedral has been reconstructed several times with new additions and the different styles on it are very notable. According to the look of the presbytery and the sides of the cathedral, it is the oldest part built most likely in the romanic style.

New Year's Eve tradition

by KristaB

Celebrating New Year’s Eve at Pohorje is a tradition for the citizens of Maribor and surrounding region. Some come with their skis, sledges or snowboards, and some walk on foot and slide on their bottoms back to the city.
Fireworks on the slopes and great views over fireworks launching up from Maribor.

POHORJE

Where else can you...

by AleksanderA

POHORJE

Where else can you ski among vineyards and practically in the city? And that on more than 120 snowy days per year? From the top down to the valley!? And on top of it, Mariborsko Pohorje is also the biggest Slovenian ski resort.

Slovenia’s largest ski area is in the northeastern part of the country. It is noted for hosting World Cup alpine races.

Elevation: Village: 325 m (1,066 ft) Top: 1,347 m (4,418 ft)

Vertical: 1,022 m (3,352 ft)

Terrain: 60 km (37 mi) of downhill trails and slopes; 40% beginner, 35% intermediate, 25% advanced; snowmaking; the longest night skiing trail in Europe!

Lifts: 1 gondola, 3 chairlifts, 17 surface

Lift Capacity: 18,000 p/h

Ski Season: Mid-November to March

Cross Country: 28 km (17 mi) of trails

Ski School: All disciplines, including racing

Other Winter Activities: Hiking, ice skating, curling, indoor tennis, indoor swimming

Après-Ski: Sightseeing, exhibitions, cinema, theatre, fine restaurants, disco, nightclubs

Shopping/Services: Maribor is Slovenia’s second largest city and has everything a visitor could possibly need

Credit Cards: AE, MC, VISA

Child Care: Kindergarten

Lodging: 1,253 hotel beds

By auto on Motorway 10 from Ljubljana

By train from Ljubljana, 2 hours

Other Information: The Austrian and Hungarian borders are less than 30 miles away from Maribor, offering still other cultures to explore

Brewpub

by bonio about Stajerc

City centre pub that brews it's own excellent beer and sells good tasty food to go with it. Just about says it all really.
Hot weather when we visited so beer garden for us, inside looked good and was still popular.

Comments