Trstenjakova ulica 13, Vinarski trg 5, Ptuj, 2250, Slovenia
More about Ptuj
City Tower (Ptuj, Slovenia)
Statue of St. Florijan (Ptuj, Slovenia)
Travel Tips for Ptuj
Medieval Day: Ptujske grajske igre
Medieval Day at Ptuj castle happens every year in the end of August or in the beggining of September. You can see groups from Slovenia and abroad, presenting medieval market, craftsmen are presenting their skills, musicians present medieval instruments and medieval music and dancers present medieval dances, you can check how heavy the swords really are and see "medieval" knights fight with them etc.
There is no entry fee. You just have to find Turnirski prostor behind the castle of Ptuj.
I've been at the Medieval day at Ptuj twice and I really liked it, so if you are at Ptuj in this time of a year, don't miss it.
Ptuj Town Seal from year 1273 belongs to the oldest town seals in Slovenia and is one of the special kinds of Gothic monuments and values in the cultural and historical, artistic and legal field. Medieval Ptuj demonstrated its legal status and significance of town autonomy with the very use of its proper seal.
Ptuj town coat-of-arms originated from the above mentioned town seal, which was increasingly simplifying iconographically from year 1273 to around 1400.
The famous Slovene Janez Puch (spelled Puh in Slovene), inventor, factory owner and visionary, invented the first bicycle with same-size wheels. In 1899 he started his first machine-made bicycle production in cooperation with the manufacturer Werner. In 1901 the first motorbike with a gasoline engine was produced at the Puch factory. Puch made his first automobile in 1906, and then continued its mass production. In Graz, Austria, a car factory still bears Puch’s name.
Opening times: Saturdays, Sundays and holidays from 10:00 to 18:00 (from April to November) during the week only by prior appointment.
Slovenske Gorice - wine region
The central Slovenske Gorice are densely populated. There are typically scattered settlements which spread over flat longitudinal ridges. Smaller villages built in clusters developed only around churches, which are normally situated on top of hills.
Dynamic scenery includes, besides the varied soil relief, various crops and plants of which trees cover shady hillsides, while vineyards grow on sunny sides, pastures and meadows spread in valleys which are fringed by fields and orchards.
White wines predominate in the region and they are: Sauvignon, Chardonnay, Sipon, and other varieties.
In begining of 13th century monks from Friesach (Carinthia) had moved to the partly built monastery. The principal activities of the Dominicans in Ptuj were preaching, pastoral care, economic operations and education and they also had a rich library. The monks inhabited the monastery until 1785 when it was dissolved by the reforms of Joseph II; later, it was occupied by soldiers and craftsmen. In 1926 the monastery was bought by the municipality and renovated for the municipal museum and also for housing purposes. The renovation works discovered, both historically and artistically, the most interesting parts of the monastery. In the autumn of 1928 the newly arranged museum collections were opened to the public. Soon after the foundation of the monastery the eastern and southern wings of the cloister and the church were built, to which - in the mid-13th century - a new presbytery was added in the form of a long choir; one of the first in Central Europe. Since the monastery's foundation, the entrance wall of the Chapter Hall has been preserved.
The hall has two, two-light windows: the southern one is Romanesque and semicircular, the northern one Gothic and ogival. The eastern wall of the cloister was painted with sacral and grave motifs. Prominent among the paintings is a picture of Dominicans kneeling and praying in two rows in front of a large figure of Christ in the mandorla. The cloister, one of the main architectural highlights of the monastery, was vaulted in the first half of the 15th century. On the inside the ribbed vaults rest on richly carved corbels and meet in figural keystones in their apexes. Around 1700 the monastery's refectory was adorned with rich stucco ornaments and paintings. In the early 18th century the old, "long choir" was demolished, the high altar moved to the western end of the church, and its eastern facade decorated with rich stucco .
from April 15. till November 1. every day 10.00-17.00