Hotel El Convento

Kaspian's Profile Photo

Hotel El Convento

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 17, 2006

After climbing the steep cobble-stoned street up to the old part of Arcos de la Frontera in the midday early-summer sun with a pack on back, my T-shirt is drenched right through to the skin. "I'm sweatin' like Elvis," I sing to myself as I follow the well-marked signs to El Convento--a little hotel I'd fallen in love with from pics on their web site. On a narrow side-street I find the cute entrance and enter the air-conditioned lobby. I'm greeted with a friendly smile by a woman at the desk, "Buenos tardes!" Without delay, I'm given the keys to "Room #6".
The room's decor is absolutely gorgeous; dark wood staircase, furniture, and bed posts, white drapes and bed sheets, tasteful watercolours of the town of Arcos adorn the walls.
Everything is immaculately clean--the floor, the bathroom, the bed sheets, the pillows, the towels, the furniture, the balcony.
I booked this hotel a month in advance, chose a less expensive room, and I'm pleasantly surprised to discover that I have the largest outside patio of them all. I love the outside flower box, tile-work, furniture, and view of the countryside and castle beside us.
The neighbours say "Hello!" that night from their patio--they're fellow Canadians and offer me drinks of Sherry from Jerez in exchange for some of my cigarettes. I brag, "Do you like my balcony?" When we run out of drinks, I walk up to the lobby and the receptionist gives me a several cans of beer.
Up late the next morning for breakfast; it wasn't included in the price, but it wasn't expensive. From the large menu I order toast, coffee, eggs, sausage, tomato. It's delicious. The staff are the friendliest workers I met during my entire stay in Spain.
I don't know why the prettiest hotel, with the nicest room, fantastic staff, and greatest view I've ever stayed at have a broken shower head and a broken wall hair-dryer. That seems a bit bizarre, doesn't it?
Do not: Attempt to drive up to the old town unless you are familiar with it. The streets are so narrow that you will do damage to the car.

Unique Quality: Unbelievable view of the countryside.

Directions: Signs throughout Arcos clearly mark the way to this hotel.

bugalugs's Profile Photo

by written on April 9, 2006

Part of this hotel is what used to be a 17th century convent but now a small hotel which has beautiful views from its roof top rerrace over the valley below. There is also a restaurant.

In the second photo you can see the lovely mosaics on the wall of the hotel.

Nearby Hotel El Convento

7 Photos of Hotel El Convento

View Professional Photos

Amenities at Hotel El Convento

• Room Service
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Arcos de la Frontera Travel Forum

Need advice about Arcos de la Frontera, Spain? Visit the Travel Forum for Arcos de la Frontera and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Arcos de la Frontera hotel reviews