Pena De Arcos

Hotel Pena de Arcos
Booking.com Priceline.com Expedia.com

Satisfaction Poor

More about Arcos de la Frontera

Arcos bus station timesArcos bus station times

Arcos (2006)Arcos (2006)

Mayorazgo PalaceMayorazgo Palace

Palace of Count of AguilaPalace of Count of Aguila

Travel Tips for Arcos de la Frontera

Calle Corredera

by bugalugs

If you park in the car park at the bottom of the hill as I mentioned in my 'transportation' tip, and take the steps up, you can then walk either along the Paseo de los Boliches which gives you views over the valley or walk up the Calle Corredera which is like the main shopping street. Cafes/bars/restaurants, and hotels besides shops are along here. Its very pretty though with the orange trees lining each side. Either way you go it takes you up to the main square of Piazza del Cabildo.

Mirador de Abades

by Carmela71

Just from the Mirador de Abades you can see the lake of Arcos from the top of the hill, with the typical terraces.
Even if I was born in the north, and part of my family comes form Castilla, I had been in Andalucia on holidays (Nerja and Torrox areas) but other memories where to visit my grandmother that uses to live in Motril when alive. I remember she used to have a terrace like this, and I spent hours and hours playing there. In summer she used to have a little cube that was my little swimming pool.

$BHospital Convent of San Juan de dios

by bugalugs

Originally this was the hospital of St Sebastian but in 1596 all the hospitals came under one roof and sort of amalgamated. There is apparently a statue of our lady here which is from the 13th century.

We had a peak inside which was beautiful tiled. Lots of flowers about, a spanish couple came and started talking to us and telling us about the place but as they didnt speak english and we dont speak spanish we didnt really know what they were saying.

Arcos de la Frontera

by Kaspian

Travel Dates: May 11-12 2006.

Arcos de la Frontera (pronounced "Ark-ohs duh la Front-air-a") was undoubetly the prettiest of all the towns I visited while touring Andalucia. It was picturesque, quiet, and the air smelled fresh. This is where my travel companion and I agreed, "Now this feels like Spain."

Precariously perched on the edge of a sandstone cliff, the old town feels surreal and dreamlike. "Sandstone?!", you say, "Why doesn't it all just crumble down?" Well, apparently it does. Rumour at our hotel had it that another hotel and its occupants fell off several years ago.

"On White Streets and Flower Boxes"

I found myself taking dozens and dozens of photos on my walks, "Oh, look how beautiful that street is." [Click!] "Oh, there's another one!" [Click!]

On reviewing them later, I couldn't help but laugh out loud--"A white alley with flower boxes, another white alley with flower boxes, another white alley with flower boxes, oh look--this one has a cat in it! ...Another white alley with flower boxes..." But it's amazing. It's mazelike and beautiful.

"Where's the Nightlife in the Dreamscape?"

By 10:00 PM, the old town was silent. Only a handful of tourists linger in 3 or 4 restaurants wondering what they'll do for the rest of the evening. Indeed, between the occasional far-off roar of a motor scooter engine, I could hear crickets chirping. All of the nightclub action in Arcos is at the bottom of the hill, in the "new city". That's a shame. This would be such a perfect spot for late-night tables, and tapas, and pitchers of sangria, and singing, and riotous laughter.

Arcos de la Frontera

by myriam_c

Narrow streets and whitewashed houses with wrought iron railings and balconies filled with flower pots, this is Arcos de la Frontera. If your car is not too wide, drive all the way up to the highest point of the village, the Plaza del Cabildo. Here you will find the Iglesia de Santa Maria, the Town Hall, the parador Casas del Corregidor and a viewing point overlooking the surrounding landscape.

Comments