Palacio De Los Salcedo Hotel
C/ SAN PABLO, 18, 23440 Baeza, BAEZA, Spain, 2344,
More about Baeza
View of San Felipe from the Cathedral
Palacio de Jabalquinto - the garden
Iglesia Santa Cruz
Travel Tips for Baeza
Baeza was declared a world heritage city by UNESCO in 2003. If you have a look to the city map you can check out how many monuments and interesting places this small town has on it.
Baeza fue declarada ciudad patrimonio de la humanidad por la UNESCO en 2003. Si echas un vistazo al plano puedes observar la cantidad de monumentos y lugares interesantes que puedes ver en este pequeño pueblo.
The foundation bull of the University of Baeza dates back to 1538, being the Pope Paulo III. The University worked for about three centuries and was closed down in 1824, when it became the College of Humanities. From 1875 to 1979 it was used as a secondary school, where the poet Antonio Machado imparted classes of French Grammar between 1912 and 1919.
In the mannerist façade there is a relief of the Holy Trinity and the coats of arms of Fernández de Córdoba adorned with tassels. Inside there is a great courtyard (patio) that organizes the distribution of rooms, as in other Renaissance buildings in Baeza and Úbeda.
Palacio de Jabalquinto - the courtyard
Inside the Palacio de Jabalquinto, the courtyard has been beautifully restored. The carvings on the arches are worth closer scrutiny, but the best feature of all is the magnificent Baroque staircase in the far corner. Take a close look at the detail of the stone carving, and the splendid pair of doors. The pictures don’t do justice at this size.
Beyond the staircase is a small garden – a peaceful oasis to sit in the shade and rest your feet.
Old University - Antigua universidad
In 1568 Fernandez of Cordoba created a new university here. The façade is mannerist, with a half point arch with an acanthus key and a medallion of the Holy Trinity. The place inside is organised around a courtyard with a double gallery. The university was removed in 1824. A plaque recalls the poet Antonio Machado who taught French grammar when the building was a seconday school.
En 1568, Fernández de Córdoba creó aquí una nueva universidad. La fachada es manierista, con un arco de medio punto con hojas de acanto y un medallón de la Santísima Trinidad. El edificio está organizado en torno a un patio con doble galería. La universidad se fué en 1824. Una placa recuerda que el poeta Antonio Machado enseñó gramática francesa aquí, cuando el edificio era un instituto.
Catedral de la Natividad de Nuestra Señora
On the place of the main mosque, a gothic church was built. Later, in the XVI century, the church was restored by Andrés de Vandelvira, following the Renaissance trend. Among the original elements of the gothic church are the Puerta de la Luna, in mudejar gothic (XIII century), the Rose window (XIV century) and the Puerta del Perdón (XV century).
Inside, the altarpiece outstands as well as the grillwork and the silver Monstrance.
View all Baeza hotels
View all Baeza hotels
Latest Baeza hotel reviews
- La Casona Del Arco
- 25 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 17, 2013
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 17, 2014