Avenida Antonio Machado 22, Benalmadena, Costa del Sol, 29630, Spain

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Las Arenas Hotel

Convenient Location, Poorly Managed and Not Relaxi

by davidspro about Melia Alacante

We checked into the Melia Alicante after 3 wonderful nights spent in Valencia at the Hotel Las Arenas Balneario Resort, a five star hotel which we would highly recommend. The Melia Alicante, which was rated four and a half stars, is conveniently located with easy access to beaches, harbor, casino and Santa Barbara Castle. There are great views from balconies on either side of building. We booked two rooms and one had a view of the harbor and the other, a view of the beach. HOWEVER, our overall experience was negative and we cannot recommend nor would we ever consider returning to this property.
Upon checking in, the rooms smelled of cigarette smoke. Air conditioning did not work and rooms were very warm, about 80 degrees. If you open the balcony door to cool off at night, there is a tremendous amount of noise from partying teenagers who hang out on and around the hotel property until 4am in the morning. So, your choice is to either sleep in an oven or try to cool off and hear the screams, shouts, banging on dumpsters and blasting car radios of the local intoxicated teens. In the morning, after our first night, I mentioned to the concierge that it seemed odd that the lobby of the hotel was air conditioned and comfortable for the hotel clerks, restaurant workers and management, but the rooms were terribly hot for the guests. Later in the day, the hotel sent a small bottle of Muscatel and some candy to our room. A minimal, but nice gesture.
On our second day, we decided to go with the flow and be proactive and keep the balcony doors open to allow the room to stay cooler. Later in the day, we noticed an infestation of small ants in our bathroom. We called the front desk and asked if they could spray the room while we were out for the evening. When we returned, about 4 hours later, the ants were still in the bathroom and had spread into the bedroom. No one had sprayed. I went to the front desk and the clerk offered to send someone up to spray or to give us a new room. Since it was 1am, we decided to move rooms, rather than have to inhale the pesticides, knowing we would need to keep the balcony door sealed to cut down on the street partying noise. The room we moved to had been closed up all day and the temperature in the room was over 80 degrees. We opened the balcony door to cool off and considered moving one of the mattresses onto the balcony, however at that point the partying was well underway, below our balcony. At one point we looked over our balcony and noticed teen age girls and boys, who were “fall-down” drunk, urinating amongst the dumpsters below our window. We soon realized that this was not an isolated event, and that this location was the public urinal for these teens. Groups of girls and boys continued in a non-stop stream (no pun intended) to stagger drunk from various directions to the dumpsters below the hotel balconies, to relieve themselves. At one point, a car, blasting loud music, pulled up below our window and several drunk teens got out and urinated below our window and then got back into their car and drove off. Knowing how insane this was, we actually videotaped the ants swarming in our first room and the endless public urination below our balcony.
In the morning, I went to my kids’ room, which was on the beach side of the building. My children are teenagers, and before I could say a word, they complained they were exhausted from all the partying noise on the beach, which prevented them from sleeping. I met again with the concierge, armed with the video of the ants in our room and the endless stream of visitors outside our balcony the previous night. I pointed out again that it seemed odd that it was so cool and comfortable in the lobby where she worked, yet her guest’s rooms were so hot, and opening the windows to cool the room down subjected her guests to the loud noises from the teens roaming the hotel grounds, and the smells from the public urinal below. She checked with her manager and agreed to deduct 30 Euro from our room charge. This was an extra person charge that was added to the room where my 3 children stayed, when we checked in. I thanked her, but indicated that I felt it more appropriate to comp us for at least one of the rooms. She said this was not possible and offered to “take care of us” on our next stay with them… and after some protest by me with the concierge and her manager, that’s pretty much where it ended. Location is ideal and views are wonderful. Bugs, loud partying on hotel grounds and lack of air conditioning, make this a light sleeper's nightmare.

Great Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member sophie91

Just returned from a week in Benalmadena. Had a great time. Las Arenas hotel was great. Lovely and clean. Food excellent with plenty of choice for all, pasta, fish meat and salads and fresh fruit or desserts every night. Went as a couple this time but would certainly go back with the kids.

Fantastic View

by TripAdvisor Member MagBaz

My husband & myself have just spent a very relaxing & enjoyable week at the Las Arenas Hotel, Benalmadena. The Hotel although small is very nice, the rooms are spotless & the shower was excellent & the air conditioning works really well. It is in an excellent position, just opposite the beach with fantastic views from most of the rooms. We were lucky enough to have a room right at the front & although there was some road noise (as it's a busy road) it didn't bother us unduly as the view was great & the balcony was huge! The Hotel is in a quieter part of the resort approx. 10mins walk from the marina where most of the pubs & clubs are.
The Hotel isn't really geared up for children but there were a few there. The pool area is quite quiet because of that which is fine if your looking for some relaxation. The pool itself is elevated on the second floor & quite small with no bar, only a drinks machine, although as the beach is just across the road it's not that important. The food was excellent & the staff everywhere in the Hotel were great, especially Micki (female) who works in the dining room, she always has a smile & a chat.
Sun beds & parasols on the beach are 8 euros to hire for the day. Day trips to Gibraltar are about 10 euros & take about 1 & a half hours on the bus.
There is a lovely park at the back of the hotel about 5 mins up the hill & is definiteley worth a visit.
We booked with globespan & flew from Edinburgh, we paid £350 each half board for a week which was excellent value. We would definitely go back there or to the area.

pensioners paradise

by TripAdvisor Member mrsjuliea

on arrival to the las arenas, we were very impressed with the high standard of cleanliness, the rooms were spotless as is the rest of the hotel, my husband and i ,who are in our early forties stayed there for 2 weeks from the 14th june 2007, our first night in the hotel bar was a different experience, my husband and i never saw one person under 65+, we thought we had crossed some time zone to a home for the elderly, the next day by the pool (which also is very clean) was dead, with little or no atmosphere, there is no pool bar, so each or most lunch times we had to dress to go find a meal in one of the nearby cafe/restaurants, the entertainment is practically non existent, the staff there are by far the friendliest i have ever come across, the food in the hotel restaurant was very good and always something for everyone, the hotel definately does not cater for children, it is also a very long walk to find any entertainment, all in all a pleasant but not repeatable holiday, at least the weather was good,

Very clean

by TripAdvisor Member bettybakewell

we stayed at the Las Arenas at the end of June for nine nights. The Hotel is bright clean with lovley cane furniture in the Entertainment area. The only downfall for us was the size of our room, we booked a Quadruple room and was given a tripple roon with extra bed which wasnt what we booked, it was cramped for the four of us (2 Adults 2 children). We requested a larger room but the receptionist informed us it was a quad roon and the hotel was full. This was our only gripe with the hotel. The hotel wasnt geared for kids but it was actually more relaxing atmosphere thier is plenty of activites outside the hotel for the children . The pool area is nice but you have to be up early to get the sunbeds when its busy. The food was nice again not alot for the childrens choice. The entertainment was genrelly for the older generation , however the girl who ran the entertaintment Sara was new and was trying to introduce more variety. She was lovley person and got along with all the guests. The happy hour was worth a vist 2 for 1 and they sold lovley icecreams . All in all a good hotel .

Great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member navman149

Had a wonderful time at Las Arenas. Decided on the hotel from other reviews and I certainly was not disappointed. The staff at reception couldn't do enough for us; any problem we had was immediately dealt with. Had a major problem parking when we arrived as the town is packed. We got a parking space in the hotel the next night (it costs €10 a night, well worth it if you have a rental car and are spending a lot of time out driving). Our room was large with a balcony overlooking the pool but also looking out at castle Bil-Bil and the sea. Internet access is available for guests in the foyer if you want to keep in touch with home. We didn't have our evening meal in the hotel, but breakfast was the best I have had on the continent with full fry or continental breakfast available from the buffet. There was entertainment in the hotel each night for those who wanted to relax.
Overall I cannot fault this hotel. The staff are friendly and helpful. What more can I say?

Great Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member dougan1

Stayed here for 5 nights last week with my husband. Hotel is spotless and rooms very nice. Breakfast has a great selection, fruit, hot selection and cereals to mention a few. The evening buffest was always delicious and service great. The hotel was full but queues not too big.

The location is lovely, 25 mins walk to marina and a few shops and restaurants outside hotel. This area is quieter than the marina end. Our room faced the side and was very quiet, but my family had a sea view but was very noisy due to the main road out the front which is busy all night. Request a room to the side or pool view.

My only complaint would be the reception staff who were a bit rude and mae you feel like you were annoying them when asking a question. They need to smile more. All other staff fine and although the bar is more expensive than local bars, its a lovely place to sit and great service. We will return.

not a 4*

by TripAdvisor Member shrlypin

In my opinion not a four star if you have a family . The biggest let down was the pool area . Have stayed in 2 stars with a better pool area , only plus side for my son was the fact they would allow inflatables in the pool .No pool bar you had to walk down the stairs to get a drink at the bar and then carry back up the stairs to the pool.
Hotel on the main road so not for anyone looking for a peaceful holiday but you do get used to the traffic noise , its a must to go for happy hour between 5 - 6 pm as drinks are 2 for 1 , the drinks are expensive in the hotel .
Rooms are well furnished with a small mini fridge which is handy for water , room was cramped with 3 beds in and our view was of the pool wall and although it says in the brochure sea view you had to hang out over the balcony to get a view of the sea.
Resort it self great for kids and would definately go back to the resort but just not this hotel. Had a trip to feungirola zoo well worth a visit for kids as well as Selwo which had dolphin and sea lion shows . Also lovely park just behind the hotel with play ares for kids and its free !!
Watch out for the looky looky men who appear in droves as well as the accordion players who seem to appear one after another in restaurants , can get a bit annoying when you are trying to enjoy a quiet meal.

Spain!!!

by aldo007

I haven't been to mainland Spain (España) yet, but that's going to happen someday soon! If you wanna know waht I've done here, see my Palma page. If you don't wanna know, don't look at my Palma page...

Languages: Spanish/Catalonian. On Mallorca a lot of people could speak English and especially German as well.

VISA INFO:
South African passport holders need a Schengen visa for Spain. If Spain is your main destination or first point of entry into the Schengen states, you should apply at the Spanish embassy. See http://www.embassyworld.com/embassy/spain.htm for a list of embassies throughout the world.

The SA embassy is in Madrid. The South African consulate is sitauted in Las Mercedes, 31 - 4
48930 Las Arenas, Vizcaya, Bilbao.
Tel: +34 (0)4 480.03.28 or Fax: +34 (0)4 464.11.24

benalmadena

by ettenaj

This is the best port in all the world I'm sure, I love it, great shops great bars and great boats

"Donkey"

Dont you just want to bring him home??????

I want to bring her home toooooo..................

acomodation Benalmadenaacomodation Benalmadena

Benalmadena boardwlakBenalmadena boardwlak

Benalmadena StupaBenalmadena Stupa

Benalmadena MarinaBenalmadena Marina

Asturias

by valmonts

Has anybody stayed in Asturias?
I've visit this site (www.picoseuropa.info) but I don't know about distances and prices.
Thanks

Re: Asturias

by pfsmalo

Hi,

I've also been to the Asturias region in Sept.2008 but really you need to define your area of visit more .Start your search by looking at the tips offered here on VT by members such as myself and Barbara above(ranger49).

Re: Asturias

by Walker30s

If you plan to make walks at the National Park of Picos de Europa, you should go to Potes (Cantabria), Covadonga (Asturias) or Las Arenas (Asturias).
Prices: Hotel rooms start from 40-45 euros/night. Thanks to the economic crises it is better to make better deals locally. Also the car rentals are offering better and better deals. I have seen ads with 35 Euros/3 days.
The best source of walking routes is: www.topwalks.net/en/picos_de_europa.htm

Bullfight

by seahole

Hi, is Sevilla the most famous place for bullfights? Where else is popular? Is there any bullring in Barcelona and in August do you get to see one of the shows? And how much is it if I'm not picky about seats?

Thank you.

RE: Bullfight

by Charismimatic

why dont you try pampona where there will be bull in the streets following (and probably killing) some eager tourists
it will be on 6th-14th of July... mind you, I am not going there myself even if i will be in spain at this stage - i believe that this dangerous hellish touristic industry of bull fights will never decay while passive spectators continue supporting it from their own voyeristic motivations...

RE: RE: Bullfight

by JessH

I thought the Spanish government had finally abolished this horrific form of cruel "entertainment", and that there were no more bullfights?

RE: RE: Bullfight

by Belsaita

No, the Spanish government has not abolished bullfights and I do think they would dare to do… too many potential voters do still love this "fiesta"!!

A couple of years ago, the City Council of Barcelona abolished bullfights and any other show with abuse of animals in the city. This was never a tradition here; even there are a few people who like it, as everywhere in Spain (and not only Spanish). However, this was a quite void declaration, as the City Council has no real authority over La Monumental, the only bullring that still is in function in Barcelona (the other one, Las Arenas, is being converted to a shopping centre). The authority to control bullfights belongs to the Regional Government, and they are not willing to do anything regarding these. So, there is still a residual activity of bullfights from time to time, mainly aimed to tourist and the few ones that feel nostalgic of past times... Quite depressing.

So, if anyone really want to attend a bullfight (IMHO there are much better ways to spend money and time, but each at its own) definitely Barcelona is not the place.

Names of Places in Bilbao Please

by supersapper

Has anyone been to Bilbao? We will be there in early October and I am looking for input for our trip -- restaurants, shops, markets, places to go and see. We have our hotel. Will appreciaate anything anyone can tell us. Also what to see at the museum. Thanx

Re: Names of Places in Bilbao Please

by sanbhal

here are some hints that most tourist dont know and are a must.

in front of the Guggenheim museum, other side of the river, take the funicular train up the hill (Funicular de Artxanda). Once up, turn left for 50mts for a breathtaking view of Bilbao (it it��s not raining). Very cheap and much worth it. Good restaurants up there.

Take the metro to Las Arenas /Areeta (everything is written in spanish and Basque), 20min ride, follow directions to Puente Colgante (Hanging Bridge), unique in the world, take the elevator upstairs for a breathtaking view of the Bilbao Estuary. You are in Getxo, plenty of beaches and good restaurants, posh town near Bilbao, for excellent fish go to the old port (Puerto Viejo) at the end of Ereaga beach, up the stairs, beautiful surroundings. If you want to eat in an old windmill, ask for Aixerrota (in Basque, windmill) restaurant (may need a car).

Try to visit and eat at a Sidreria, set menu for around 25 to 30 euros, fresh cod, cod omelette, t-bone steak on charcoal, cheese and walnuts and all the cider you can drink (this is natural cider, not sparkling and no sugar, low alcoholic). Very typical places, most common in rural areas, there are also a few in Bilbao, popular atmosphere.
At the old town, dont leave without eating pintxos (similar to tapas, small elaborated appetizers) very good ones at Cafe Bilbao or Victor or Victor Montes, at the Plaza Nueva (heart of old town, not to miss). Help yourself with your own hand to as many as you want and pay later, trust is the word.
Once i get your reply with more info about your visit, I may be able to recommend other restaurants

Re: Names of Places in Bilbao Please

by timtregenza

Bilbao offers something for everyone, art (modern, classical, and Basque), shopping (high end such as Gucci through to local markets), and a range of dining experiences from High cost stylish menus to simple menus, and don´t forget the pintxos (tapas) that you graze going from Bar to bar.

Often bars and restaurants cluster together, facilitating the eat, drink, and move eating habit that the the bilbao people use.

Try the casco viejo (old quarter), or around Pozas / Indautxu