Playa Bonita

Ctra. Malaga-Cadiz, km 217, Benalmadena, Costa del Sol, Spain

More about Benalmádena

A view of the upper hiking route.A view of the upper hiking route.

Inside Castillo de Bil-Bil.Inside Castillo de Bil-Bil.

La Plaza de Espana.La Plaza de Espana.

Entering Benalmádena.Entering Benalmádena.

Benalmádena at Xmas

by j_j_bean

I have booked a holiday here during the Christmas week. Now I am slightly worried that there will be nothing to do here at this time.

Will everything be open ? Also will there be things to do? We were hoping to go on some day trips.

I am particularly interested in the shopping as well. I heard there are great markets there but will they be open that time of year?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!!

Also I have received mixed reviews about the weather at this time of year.

Some people have told me it will be raining, others have said it'll be nice and warm, maybe 19-20 degrees. Not sure which to believe!!!

by Miguelzgz

Hi.
Xmas period is PEAK season for shoping, so forget your worries about that. I don´t know right in Benalmadena, but nowadays I guess it is the same all over Spain, no business close during Christmas period.
Just Dec. 25th and sundays...but even those days some restaurants will be open.

Weather predictions are not easy to do...but you have several sites in the internet you can check: yahooweather.com is the one I use to check. They have been pretty accurate when I have been abroad.

Good luck.

by LoriPori

I don't think you need to worry. There will be plenty to see and do while in Benalmadena. It's a beautiful town with a wonderful marina area and plenty of shopping and restaurants. Walk along the sea along the promenade towards Torremolinos. Take a bus or train to Fuengirola where there are markets on Tuesdays and Saturdays. Take a bus up to the mountains to the white village of Mijas. Take a tour to Seville or Cordoba or Granada.
Not sure about the weather. We go to Torremolinos in February and the temps are in the 60's.

by johnincornwall

All your 'people' are right. If the weather is nice it will be 19/20º and sunny (short daylight hours though remember) but if a front goes across you will get wet - possibly seriously wet. Luck of the draw really but chances are more on the side of pleasant weather by our out-of-season experiences across the Med coast. But please dont expect 'summer holiday' weather.

Whatever the weather there is always the vino tinto!

by tango_jd

So long as the buses are running, just catch a bus outside the Mcdonalds restaurant and you can get to Mijas, Malaga, Fuengirola, Marbella etc.
I know we went from there to Marbella to Ronda and back in one day (long day but it was possible!)
Malaga was an easy journey although the bus station is a little way out (still walkable though). Nice shops and an old town and cathedral as well as the Roman site and old moorish fortress.

by daarth

We were in the area last Christmas, and we had a nice mix of weather with a few cool days and a few warm days up to 20°C when the sun was high. Nights can be cold though. But weather is unpredictable...

Travel Tips for Benalmádena

BENALMADENA COSTA MARINA

by LoriPori

The absolute focal point of Benalmadena Costa is its award-winning MARINA. The Marina can accommodate 1000 boats and yachts. The Marina is THE place for Benalmadena's social scene and is central to the resort. Along the Paseo de Las Islas, which winds around the Marina, there are numerous shops, restaurants, ice-cream parlours and of course terraces where one can see and be seen, that's what it's all about here.
From Benalmadena Marina, you can walk all the way along the Promenade to Torremolinos. which Hans and I did once, as it's quite a distance from our Bajondillo. We took the whole afternoon to walk there as there were plenty of little shops and restaurants on the way, if you need refreshments.

Boats at Puerto Marina

by Carmela71

We founded some lovely boats over there.

Normally I am not interested in them, but Stace, Julian and Nat love them, so we were watching the prices of some of them (guess some of them were really really expensive!!!!)

Teleférico - a cable-car trip 800 m up a mountain.

by Regina1965

Taking a trip on the Teleférico cablecar was something I had wanted to do for the longest time, but my fear of heights had stopped me from going. The trip was awesome. It takes you from Benalmádena Costa up to the Calamorro mountain, which is at an altitude of 800 meters.

The cable-cars are so small and we were a bit anxious, but it turned out to be so worth it! And at the top (or almost the top) of Calamorro mountain you have the most breathtaking views of Costa del Sol.

At the top there is a restaurant, a bar, shows of birds of prey (check out at what time, as we came to late for that) and hiking routes up to the top of the mountain (see my tip on two of the routes).

A return trip on the cable-car costs 13 euros but with a discount we paid 11 euros. You can get the discount leaflet all over.

Comments