Hotel Barrosa Palace

Urb Novo Sancti Petri s/n, Chiclana de la Frontera, Costa de la Luz, 11130, Spain
Travelocity Hotelsclick.com Priceline.com

Rated 12% higher but also costs 95% more than other 4 star hotels

More about Cadiz

around the plazaaround the plaza

Calle Villallobos (Cádiz, Andalucía, Spain)Calle Villallobos (Cádiz, Andalucía, Spain)

My Pork Medallions with veggies and friesMy Pork Medallions with veggies and fries

Topiary Cyprus line the pathTopiary Cyprus line the path

joining to explore Cadiz & travelling from Cadiz to Malaga

Hi all,
I'm going to visit Cadiz in September, not sure about the dates yet, probably on 12-14.
It will be the first time in the area, so would be glad to share my time of exploring Cadiz & surroundings.

The other questions is what is the best way to get from Cardiz to Malaga (public transport) as my flight back is from Malaga.

Is it a good idea to stop for the day in Tarifa on the way to Malaga?

Thanx!

by puerto_lover

Hello Tantanya= the weather should still be nice and warm if not hot when you go, but of course cooler on the coast than inland like Seville. You can go via Tarifa or other places some people like to go to La Linea then visit Gibraltar ROCK ! But that is another country of course ! Or you may stop over in Marbella and see this coast COSTA DEL SOL or just continue all the way to Malaga City then spend some time in Malaga itself. Not far from the airport by the Express bus or train and the old part in the centre has many attractions.
Also I prefer to sometimes just take the train back to Seville then take the connection to Malaga, But this will not give you the chance to see the soutern coastal areas.

Hi Pedro,

Thanks for the websites.
Unfortunately they do not show the timetable for the period needed - it's the middle of September.
Do you know if the buses go often between Cadiz & Malaga?
How long does it take?

My question was if it's better to stop for the night somewhere between just to catch some more sun and water and not to spend all the hot day in the bus.

Is Tarifa worth seeing and staying for a night? May be some other town on the way to Malaga? With good choice to get off and on the bus?

Many thanks once again!
Tatyana

Hi Nige!
Nice picture:))

Your answer just pushed me to more questions than earlier:

1. Is Seville is really SO hot in September? I'm going to have a day visit there from Cadiz and back the same day.
2. Yep, Gibraltar is another country and having schengen visa is not enough i think.
3. I will actually have more than a week for Andalusia. So planning my trip. By now it looks like coming to Malaga and travelling to Cranada (for sure) and Cordoba (probably). exploring Malaga itself, swimming. A lot.
The question is - should I stay in Malaga itself or probably Torremolinos?
If the beaches are good in Malaga, i think to stay in the city - save time for transfers.
4. After Malaga I am forwardingg to the Ocean, decided on Cadiz. Direct bus I think?
5. Staying in Cadiz. Seville (for sure), Jerez (probably).
6. My flight is again from Malaga. So the question is should I again go directly or anchor in some nice place on the southern coast.
Actually I have enough time fro visiting many places, but want to do it in the right way:)) And of course, the sea and the ocean are the must.

Thanks for your time of reading all that. Would appreciate your advice.

Tatyana

by puerto_lover

Hi again. I cannot give a good answer at the moment because I am in the middle of the Alps and connection is poor but will send something more soon. Seville can of course be cooling off but best to check the days before your visit then decide. I hate it when the temperatures hit 40.

Travel Tips for Cadiz

Our driving route to and from Cadiz

by Bwana_Brown

At that stage of our Spain trip, we had been in the country for eight nights when we awoke in Seville on our final day there and were due to head south toward Cadiz for our next stop. By the time we walked to our breakfast spot, packed up, checked out and then retrieved our rental car from the public parking garage, it was past 11 AM when we set off for the drive south across the rolling countryside of this river valley (as shown on the map).

We had no problems leaving Seville and were soon cruising along on the AP4 superhighway. However, since we had booked accommodations in El Puerto de Santa Maria, across the bay from Cadiz, we veered off about half-way along onto the smaller A 471 highway at Las Catezas de St. Juan so we would not have to deal with traffic in the large city of Jerez de la Frontera. It was about 3 PM when we finally rolled into our Hotel Dunas Puerto, with Cadiz visible across the water. We left the Cadiz area the following afternoon, brushing past the other side of Jerez as we took the inland route over the mountains on the A381 superhighway. This was quite a scenic drive as the landscape became more rugged and windmill farms were popping up everywhere. It was too bad that we did not have time to stop to admire this part of Spain but, as we came within view of the Mediterranean Sea near Algeciras, I remarked what a fantastic looking rock island that was that I could see just off the coast. Suddenly, I realized that it had to be the Rock of Gibraltar! However, we did not stop and eventually reached our next overnight stop in Estepona by about 5 PM. Actually, we were so impressed with the peaks and Atlantic coastline in this part of Spain that, a few days later, Sue and I back-tracked part-way up this coast while overnighting in Tarifa and Vejer de la Frontera.

Iglesia del Carmen

by Beach_dog

The facade of one many of the small churches in the city. Construction started in 1743 and it was built in the Baroque style. Its dedicated the the Virgin Carmen, patron of fisherman, so I guess its well placed in a port such as Cadiz.

Feria, Feria, Feria

by blint

Feria's are held all over Andalucia and Spain. They comprise of two parts: A fair ground for the kids and a village of beer tents for the adults. Though you don't usually drink beer, but Fino which is a type of pale sherry and an acquired taste! You also dress up in Falmenco type gitana dresses and dance Sevillanas which is a traditional dance from Sevilla (seville).

Horses are also a big part of it in Jerez and there is a parade down the main street of horses like the the photo opposite! Though you can always find horses to some extent in a feria.

Each town holds their Ferias at different times though it kicks off in Sevilla usually in May though it varies depending on Easter. Next is El Puerto and Jerez within a week of each other. Jean has it's feria in October and Arcos in September. So there are always ferias going on somewhere.

However in Cádiz city they don't really have a feria because they prefer the Carnaval. The Gaditanos who like the feria usually gate crash the ferias of neighbouring towns!

People from Cadiz: Jose Maria Peman

by Carmela71

You can find this name in many places around Cadiz.

An statue and a auditorium at parque Genoves or its tomb at the crypt under the cathedral.

He supported the Monarchy in the last years of the dictator and was the President of the Real Academia de la Lengua Española

OSBORNE WINE CELLARS
An...

by SirRichard

OSBORNE WINE CELLARS
An interesting activity in El Puerto de Santa Maria, a village near Cadiz, is to visit the wine cellars (dating from 18th century) where they make the Sherry Wine. They offer a guided visit and a wine tasting.
Reservations atPh.: (34)956869100, Fax: (34)956869059, E-Mail: visitas.bodegas@osborne.es. More info atwww.osborne.es

Comments