Playa de la Fontanilla, Conil de la Frontera, 11140, Spain

Expedia.com Booking.com Priceline.com

Rated 10% higher but also costs 26% more than other 4 star hotels

• Kaspian's Profile Photo

Hotel Costa Conil

This is a strange hotel. Strange in mood and in design. The way the hallways branch out from the foyers at odd angles, the glass elevator, the marble staircases, and the giant open-air atrium give it a retro-futuristic feel.
    When I first checked in, the hotel seemed abandoned. Nobody at the counter and no guests to be seen at anywhere. But soon enough a clerk arrived and was pleasant. "Your companion has already checked in," she said, "here's your room number." Our clean room with double beds has a balcony that overlooks some tree branches.
    Later that afternoon we descend the garden pathway to the beach. It's a short and pleasant walk down a sand path through flowers and foliage. Conil's beach is breathtakingly beautiful, the bright azure water this time of year is chilly, and the winds that blow from Africa throw sand at us relentlessly.
    Returning to the hotel, I find a beer machine on the hotel rooftop beside a gorgeous pool. The pool is crystal clear and there are no other guests. "Where the hell is everybody?" I ask myself and leap in for a swim. The beer machine sometimes dispenses a can of Cruz Campo for one Euro and sometimes it doesn't.
    Breakfast the next morning was fantastic--the buffet was enormous with lots of variety and the food was hot and delicious. I don't know if it's included with our stay or not, but as long as they don't say anything I'll assume that it is.
    The centre of the city of Conil is only a short 15 or 20 minute walk from here.
    Later at the hotel, I run into what looks like a convention having pre-dinner drinks in the atrium. I pocket some of the cookies and pastries that have been laid out for them to bring back to our room for my companion who has a mild case of sunstroke.
    That night I sit on a wicker chair in the cozy hotel cafe. Surprisingly, there are other guests here. I'm alternating between coffee and beer while writing in my journal. I've come to know the bartender, and his service is quick and comes with a smile.

• shugoey's Profile Photo

Close to the beach

Stayed a few nights in this hotel in April 2005. I got a really good rate booking on internet. The hotel is located close to the beach and a 10 minutes walk from town. The hotel has a very nice atmosphere. There is a SPA and beauty centre in the hotel. The garden and pool are really well-kept with a nice view of the beach.

Unique Quality: Nice rooms, good breakfast.

Comments