Rami­rez de las Casas Deza 10 - 12, Cordoba, Andalusia, 14001, Spain

Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Costs 46% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• rudysmom626's Profile Photo

Gorgeous old Building with Modern Amenities

I was traveling through Andalucia, starting at Sevilla, then Cordoba to see the Mezquita, and finally Granada. After staying in a cheaper chain in Sevilla, I decided to stay in a bit nicer a place while in Cordoba and get a nice shower and good night's sleep before going onto Granada & the Alhambra. Well, I was in for a serious treat! The decor and service at this hotel was impeccable. While the hotel was a bit out of my budget, since I was traveling through Andalucia in mid-December (definitely slow season for them), I was able to get a great deal and enjoy a hotel a bit out of my usual price range.

Unique Quality: The hotel is in a very old building with Moorish details, like large arches and patterned windows. The interior decorating of the rooms is modern, but tasteful... very refreshing.

More about Hospes Palacio del Bailio

Delightful and charming hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Chris75

I have spent two nights at Hospes Palacio del Bailio, an old renovated palace with a fantastic design. When you arrive it's like if you're enter a big house. Everything is beautiful and nicely decorated.
There is a gorgeous patio with a small swimming pool, I think it's really fantastic in the summer. Inside there is an area with sofas, a computer and books. Everything is lovely.
OK there is no bar and house music, it's more a peaceful hotel rather than a hype hotel.
The room was very comfortable, quiet, beautiful, I would like exactly the same room at my home, as you have the feeling you're staying at home at Palacio del Bailio.
The bathroom has a great design and a powershower inside the bath.
Did I mention the very good breakfast buffet with a lot of choice?

Location is about 5-10 minutes from Plaza Tendillas and about 20 minutes walking from the Mezquita and Alcazar de los Reyes.
I did not mentionned the perfect service.

Is it possible to find anything wrong at Palacio del Bailio?
Highly recommended !

Public religiosity

by hojasdehierba

Along Cordoba streets you will find some of these little altars. This one is devoted to Our Lady of Dolores (the religious advocation of Mary the Virgin on the day of Crucifixion) and made with coloured tiles. It is located in Cuesta del Bailio, near Cristo de los Faroles, and for me it might be an example of how people from Andalucia tend to externalize their religiosity, often in a aestheticist way, which is not so usual in another parts of Spain.
Por las calles de Cordoba encontraras alguno de estos altarcitos. Este concretamente esta dedicado a Nuestra Señora de los Dolores (la advocacion religiosa de la Virgen Maria en el dia de la crucifixion) y esta hecho con azulejos de colores. Esta situado en la Cuesta del Bailio, cerca del Cristo de los Faroles, y para mi podria ser un ejemplo de como los andaluces tienden a exteriorizar su religiosidad, a menudo de un modo esteticista, lo cual no es tan frecuente en otras partes de Espanha

Casa del Bailio

by hojasdehierba

Bailio was the title given to a knight of the order of San Juan who was especially remarkable or because of his seniority in the order. This house was a part of huge palace, which occupied a great extension of land. The beautiful renaissance portal was erected in 1530, although the house itself was older. Presently it houses the Library of Al-Andalus and visits are allowed from 16,00 to 20,00 on weekdays. Admission is free. The whole of the street makes a graceful coin, and the front is a beauty
Bailio era el titulo que se le daba a un caballero de la orden de San Juan especialmente destacado o a causa de su antiguedad en la orden. Esta casa era parte de un enorme palacio, que ocupaba una gran extension de terreno. La bonita portada renacentista fue realizada en 1530, aunque la propia casa es mas antigua. Hoy en dia es la sede de la Biblioteca Viva de Al-Andalus y admie visitas desde las 16,00 a las 20,00, de lunes a viernes. La entrada es gratuita. El conjunto de la calle forma un rincon lleno de gracia, y la portada es una belleza

very lost and (finally) found

by TripAdvisor Member kdmac

Like many other reviewers, we had an extremely difficult time finding the hotel once we were in the city (April 2007). I think this is less due to the hotel's location (though it is quite hidden away) than to the fact that so many roads in the city have no signs. We spent fully 3 hours being lost in our car, with frequent calls to the hotel to redirect us. They finally sent a taxi to where we were and paid the driver to lead us to the hotel.
We booked this hotel through anamazinghotel.com (see my review of La Fructuosa in Gaucin); they told us this hotel would set the standard for the whole city, and I think it must.
How thrilled we were when we finally found this oasis! We were greeted warmly and efficiently and taken to our beautiful room, which seemed like heaven after all that time being lost. The air smelled of jasmine; everything was cool and tranquil and quiet. It was hard to tear ourselves away to explore the city.
We found the service at Palacio del Bailio to be uniformly excellent, and we very much appreciated such thoughtful touches as the huge pitcher of fruited water waiting in the lobby for thirsty travelers such as ourselves. Breakfast was sumptuous.
Cordoba is a wonderful city to explore. We enjoyed wandering through the Juderia to the Mezquite Palace, and exploring all the narrow, twisting alleys. I had one of the most memorable meals of our 7 week trip at a tiny courtyard restaurant, where each corner was occupied by a caged canary singing its heart out.

Once we found it, we never wanted to leave

by TripAdvisor Member AdventureRUs

Once we found Hospes Palacio de Bailio in Corbdoba, Spain, we never wanted to leave! Perched on a hill overlooking the old city and near to everything, the location is excellent. We were gloriously upgraded to the magnificently sized suite. The fifteen windows brought in both the light and the bells. Both the chairs and the sofa provided comfortable seating and good lighting, always much appreciated by readers. The king sized bed was the most comfortable of the entire trip! With a spacious and luxurious bathroom larger than many 5 star hotel bedrooms, we relaxed in the huge tub or shower between sightseeing forays into town. In fact, we have never been in a more romantic hotel and could have stayed there for the entire vacation!

Although we rarely eat in hotels, one meal convinced us that the food was truly world class and that we wanted to eat as many meals within the hotel as our scheduled permitted. The food was not inexpensive, but is even now, a month later, quite memorable. Others have mentioned one of the dining rooms constructed over Roman ruins and visible via lighting at night through the plexiglass floor. It was but one of the many beautifully planned architectural uniting of ancient Andalucia and the very most modern. The vision of the architects and designers melded together into a pleasing whole.

The only drawback to this hotel, and much of Andalucia for that matter, is the difficulty in driving. We knew better than to try to drive within the cities, but we were unprepared for just how difficult it was to find our way just to the hotels. It is not the fault of the hotel or its directions but rather that these streets were not built for cars. We flagged a taxi who took us right to the door saving us time, stress and probably a fight. It worked so well that we ended up summoning a taxi to lead us to the highway out of town and then repeating same in each new location. Luckily I am fluent in Spanish, but indicating the name and address on your reservation is all that is needed to get where you want to go. Or, just leave your car out of town at a car park!

beautiful hotel

by TripAdvisor Member anilegna

pros and cons

1) beautiful hotel very modern interiors, everything is well designed
2) free internet access in a beautiful library
3) very inviting pool
4) nice comfy bathtubs with generous amenities
5) very good breakfast
6) convenient walk to town (to see the Mezquita & etc.)
7) friendly and eager to help young staff
8) spacious rooms

cons

1) check in /out was a bit chaotic: my room was not ready on the way in and when I was checking out- they couldn't find the train ticket that they bought for me
2) my bed covers had a few spots on them and I had a bug sitting on the same bed cover (which I decided to kill instead of a photo op which was tempting)

An Oasis

by TripAdvisor Member John013

This is one of the very best hotel's I have every stayed at. It is nearly a year old, and is located in the hart of the old part of Cordoba.
TIP - Have the hotel's phone number handy, I called the hotel and they sent staff to meet me to show me how to arrive at the hotel. There is good signs on the hotel - but the old quarter is a warren of small streets and it is easy to get lost. The hotel was full, so book ahead !! We had a standard room - fabulous standards, fabulous bed, fabulous amenities, the best power shower ever.
The gardens and pool are rally stunning, and ther is also an onsite Tapas Bar which is more informal for lunch. Small spa with Roman Baths, and below the breakfast room there are real roman ruins below a glass floor !
The breakfast was extremely good. I definitely vot this as the best place to stay in Cordoba, treat yourself - the rates are high as it is a five star hotel.
We stayed with HOSPES AL ANDALUZ package which is a little cheaper

A special hotel in a fascinating city

by TripAdvisor Member Hampshire32

Stylish and sophisticated hotel in Cordoba. A real treat. We stayed for just one night on the way to Cadiz and wished we could have stayed longer. The architecture and interior design are very innovative and the Roman ruins which are visible under the dining room make breakfast an unforgettable experience. The room was fabulous: luxury linens, great toiletries and very spacious. The pool area is lovely, with large day beds to relax after a mornings sightseeing. We also sampled the Roman baths in the hotel’s basement spa one morning, which were great! The hotel also boasts a good location, being in the heart of Old Cordoba, 5-10mins walk to the Mesquita and easily accessible to the wonderful narrow streets of the Old Jewish Quarter. Reception staff were friendly and helpful, if a little disorganised at times but always with a smile! If you’re driving, the hotel is pretty tricky to find. It’s located quite near Plaza de Colon and so we headed there, made our way into old Cordoba and then stopped at the first big hotel we came across to ask for directions. Previous reviews have also mentioned that the hotel will send a taxi out to find people. I wouldn’t spend ages trying to find this place yourselves – just call the hotel! For a really stylish and luxurious place to stay in Cordoba, I’d highly recommend this place and we’d definitely stay here again.

A pleasant stay in a unique hotel

by TripAdvisor Member H1981

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for a weekend break and were pleasantly surprised.

The spa is amazing and the courtyard with orange and lemon trees by the pool is a beautiful setting for a morning coffee.

Although we didnt eat in the restaurant it looked very popular and is in a unique setting with glass floor looking down onto archeological remains.

The room was lovely although a little noisy at night as it faced onto a street.

The staff were also friendly and extremly helpful although they did charge us as we were leaving when we had already paid up front but this was an innocent mistake.

I would and have reccomended this hotel.

Absolutely stunning - the best hotel we have stayed in!

by TripAdvisor Member Brittravellers

It is difficulty to add anything to the superlatives that have already been used to describe this fantastic hotel but we had such a great time that I have got to add something. Yes - it is impossible to find, especially given that the Sat Nav and the maps try to send you the wrong way down a one way street. We suggested to the hotel that they should advertise a service where a member of staff meets you on the edge of town and escorts you in. It is, however, very well worth the effort. The staff were charming as we arrived and we were greeted with iced water laced with wonderful fresh fruits. They are clearly used to being given a key and set off around the area to find cars that have been left abandoned. Like others, we were upgraded to a junior suite, with our own courtyard complete with fountain, a 17th century fresco on the wall and all the comfort we would wish for. I could not resist the wonderful bath - the only very minor criticism is that there is nowhere to put your own toiletries, etc in the bathroom - but with everything else so perfect, who cares. The pool is in a stunning setting, and very welcome after the heat even in September. The experience of eating over a Roman pavement is one for dinner party stories for years to come, both after a delicious dinner and a wonderful breakfast. The hotel would be a destination in its own right, but add to it the fact that it is in Cordoba with its stunning Mezquita - just unbeatable! We would go back any time!

Comments