Apartamentos Serrano

Serrano n 13, Granada, 18001, Spain

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Granada

The Daraxa gardens.The Daraxa gardens.

The dancersThe dancers

Aeroplane on roundabout exiting CastueraAeroplane on roundabout exiting Castuera

An intriguing hedge along our walking pathAn intriguing hedge along our walking path

Camping with kids/ women's camp

by WritingMother

I am thinking of taking my children exploring/ camping for a month in the south of Spain, would anyone be able to suggest where to start looking or what to read in order to find out more? The Alpujarras sound appealing. We can live simply but need hot showers and use of a kitchen would be good. Are there rustic hostels or similar type accommdation that's self-catering and not too expensive?

Our experience of camping is limited to one week in an all-women camp in Denmark. It was completely self-run by the participants, established and well-organised. We worked 3-4 hours a day and had the rest of the time to ourselves (except children who were looked after). Where in Spain could I find similar?

Thanks in advance for all help or advice.
WM x

by ape_huva

Camping in Southern Spain is much worse than other places in Europe, but rural tourism is growing fast. So, I recommend you to have a look at this site www.ruralandalus.es, where you can take a look at rural accomodation (alojamientos).

by WritingMother

Thanks ape_huva!

I wanted to go somewhere that was less touristed and rural Spain would be great.I do think I might struggle wth accommodation but we really are not fussy. Will update here on anything interesting I find.

by Belsaita

Hi WM

Some more links for you:
www.casasruralesandalucia.com
www.acentorural.com
www.toprural.com

Yes, camping will be not so easy (btw, never heard of all-women camps before) but "casas rurales" are usually a good option with children. Some do offer activities, in some you can use the kitchen but not in others, and prices will go from very cheap to quite expensive (some houses are most like small boutique hotels). So, you'll have to do a bit of research, but sure you'll find some that suit your needs. I can't recommend any rural house in the South of Spain, but I have great memories from vacations in the North using this kind of logging.

Travel Tips for Granada

Idolatry

by karenincalifornia

Idolatry is not tolerated in Islam, so all of the carvings and mosaic designs in the Nasrid-constructed Alhambra are geometric and do not depict the human body. In contrast, the Catholic religion does accept icons and statues as part of the religious adornment. Many places in Spain that were under Moorish domination, and then Catholic domination, have structures that are a combination of both Moorish and Spanish architecture. Where the Moorish architecture and design has been preserved, you can tell when you are moving between the Moorish and the Spanish design by the absence or depiction of the human body as part of the design.

Palm to palm- fortune tellers in Granada

by Ekaterinburg

I suppose this tip could just as easily be classified as a warning or tourist trap, but I found it quite a charming local custom. All round the centre of the city, especially in the cathedral area, gypsy women accost you with offerings of a sprig of something delightfully aromatic and offer ( ?) to read your palm. I was actually standing on a wall ouside the Chapel Royal ( posing for a photo under an orange tree - what else ? ) when a young girl reached up and shoved this sprig into my hand. My husband was jumping up and down with rage behind because she'd already asked him and he'd refused, but I quite enjoyed the experience. She told me I had excellent health and I told her she was wrong so she changed that to excellent head health and that I was very intelligent. Clever girl herself obviously !! Next she told me I had 3 children, all big now ( very observant ) . I told her I had 4 and without missing a beat she picked up my other hand and spotted one she'd missed. She was funny and in no way aggressive and I had no problem with giving her a few euro for her quick wit. We all like to romanticise the gypy connection with Granada so I think it's not too surprising that they are going to milk that for what it's worth in economic terms.

Salobrena Beach

by Shibiru

You can easily take a bus that takes around one hour to the coast of the state of Granada. We went to Salobrena (on top the "n" there's that sign...but I can't do it on this keyboard:-)).

well, wen u get out of the bus..u just ask where the beach is, 'cause u have to walk for around 15min. to get there.

The beach was full of locals but we went up the hill and had picnic there....what a wonderful view!!!

Supermarkets

by blint about Mercadona/Supersol/Al Campo/ Carrefour/Spar

It occurred to me today it is important to know where good supermarkets are when you visit/move to a new town; so I thought I would give you the low down on where to find them and the prices and goods you can expect to find in Granada.

For cheapness and quality try Mercadona which is open 9-9 all week except Sundays. The one I go to is on the road just behind Jardines de Triunfo to the left. Here you can buy certain British products you may miss such as HP sauce, Baked Beans and Heinz Spaghetti!

Al Campo is a giant superstore near the bus station. You can get to it from the number one bus on Gran Via. Here you can buy anything you want from clothes, books, plants, toys, car stuff, and electronic goods to food and drink! You can also get said British food here too.

Carrefour is another big superstore like Alcampo though the prices are a little more expensive. You'll need to drive or take the number 5 bus to get to it because it is a little out of town on the other side of the river. You can Also get British products here too! You can get cans of John Smith's too!!!!!

Supersol's vary in size. The one on Constitution near the train station is of a good size. They usually sell British products if they are big enough, but I'm not sure if this one does. The prices are average here. It is linked to the TESCO chain in Britain.

Spar. There is a Spar on Pages in the Albaicin and another couple of doors down from the Mercadona mentioned above. The prices are a little more expensive and they don't sell British products! It is biggest supermarket in the Albaicin though!

Covian. There are several of these little shops in the Albaicin. The best is on Calle Larga where a really friendly old man works. The prices are roughly the same as Spar. The only English products you'll find here is Baked Beans. There is a good fruit an veg section and a good selection of wines too. I wrote to much above so I have to carry on here!

Corte Ingles is more expensive than anywhere. The food section is below the department store on Acera de Darro. I don't recommend shopping here because of the prices although they have a great selection of food and wines! I suppose this is the Marks and Sparks of Spain. It is for the richer Clientele.

By Plane

by keeweechic

Granada’s Federico Garcia Lorca airport is around 15kms from the centre of the city. There are no direct international flights into Granada but Air Europa and Iberia have national flights from Barcelona, Palma de Mallorca, Madrid and Melilla to Granada running daily.

Comments