Corona De Atarfe

Hostal BuenaHostal Buena

Route towards La PasallaRoute towards La Pasalla

Good spots in Granada

by SkyJoiner

Been here in Granada a month or so, mostly in the Albaicin area (love it), and gonna be here a couple more months.

Just wondering if anyone had some had their own favorite-spots-- whether for tapas, tea-houses, bars, or just any general areas or things to do. Maybe even some places in other areas of the city, since I've mostly been around Gran Via and Reyes Catolica. A good place to play pool wouldn't hurt, either.

Basically, any suggestions from some fellow travelers would be greatly appreciated. Muchos Gracias!

by Windsailor

Hi SkyJoiner, Granada is wonderfull and if you miss a peacefull bar right in the center, Restaurante Pilar del Toro might be the right place. They have restaurant dining rooms in two or three levels, and a bar downstairs for a drink or whatever you wish to have. The building where the bar and restaurant are situated is from the 17th century, and most of the bar-restaurant structure is original from that era. More information here: www.pilardeltoro.es.

by unaS

If you haven't already, do visit the AlHambra at least once or twice.

Interesting walks along the back streets parallel to the Gran Via.

If you haven't done it already, do visit the Cathedral of the Incarnation on Gran Via.

Have you visited the house and gardens of the Museu De Larca? A lovely relaxing couple of hours can be spent there.

Have you taken the HOHO bus to discover other areas of the city?

Granada has so much to offer! Do visit the Tourist Info Office too. Lots of ideas there. There is one in the intercity bus stop and another on Plaza Nueva.

More details on all the above on my Granada pages.

by slyons81

My favorite spot is on the top of the hill, at the chapel, local musicians and artists seem to gather there at sunset and look over the Alahambra, it is really a great sight, you probably have seen it, but if not, you should.

by SkyJoiner

Ah! Haven´t had much internet the last month, but thank you everyone that responded. Managed to go to most of these places now, really digging them! Still haven´t tried the inner-city buses yet-- but it´s good, enjoying the walking so far, got some time left to try them. That´s a great place Slyons, and also the view from on top of the hills where the folks live in caves, very beautiful. And UnaS: Very excited to go to the Museo de Lorca! It´s in the parque, no? It´s been raining almost everyday for a month (heard it´s the most rain in 40 years), but now the sun has returned and I´m ready for some tranquility and open-air reading.

Hi,
Yes the house/museum is at the entry to the Park. Afterward walk deeper into the park and follow the path around to the left. Lovely tree shaded, man-made bubbling stream with little fish. Had me a nice picnic lunch there on the grass.
Indeed, quiet and serene. You can forget for a bit that you are in the middle of a city.

by SkyJoiner

Ah! That is a great place. I definitely am gonna be spending some more time there.

by unaS

Glad you liked it. Did you try some of the flexibility exercises on the signs? :)

Travel Tips for Granada

Bursting With Culture. A great place to live!!!!

by blint

My family is actually British and I have lived in Spain for five years. I moved to Granada in September 2004 from a town in Cádiz called El Puerto de Santa María. I was a little fed up with the small town atmosphere if you know what I mean. I am much happier in Granada where there is so much culture and art. Though when people ask me I always say I'm from Cádiz (though when I say this people look at me strangely because my Spanish is far from perfect).

For me home is always the last place I lived!

My favourite thing about Granada is that there are interesting people from all over Spain and the world here. I am learning so much about Africa, the Middle East and South America. The Grenadinos are also fantastic people (in general). I love the way they accept foreign cultures and want to explore the world. Some people in El Puerto thought that it was the best place in the world and didn't want to explore. I think that is a shame. Cádiz and Granada are both wonderful places, but the world is big and beautiful and different! You've got to get out there and see it! My fondest memory will always be of my first day in living in the Albaicin when a 7/8 year old boy came to my window and offered me a plate of free grapes his family had grown. He turned out to be my neighbour. The next time he saw me he ran up to me and hugged me. My other neighbours also ended up being unbelievably friendly too (including Petri the dog and Negri the cat!). They made me feel so welcome! I love living in a community!

Granada Tip

by ctv881

The sensational views of the city from La Alhambra (The Red one in arabic). Better if the mountain (Sierra Nevada) is covered by the snow.

Discovering the streets of the Albaicin District. You find wonderful treasures (churches, palaces,...)

If you have time, go to The Alpujarras (incredible small white villages on the mountains). It´s worth.

Walking shoes

by blint

It is very important to bring shoes with good grip as the roads in the Albaicin are stoney and slippery. Falling over is common. Don't even think about walking aroud the Albaicin or Sacramonte with high heal shoes or ones with no grip!!!!!!!!

Plaza de Toros

by call_me_rhia

Something is changing in Spain, and Granada's Plaza de Toros (bullring) is changing purpose. Ok, March to November it is still used for corridas about 20 times a year, but the rest of the time it has other priorities- it is also (and especially) a fancy restaurant center and nightspot.

Visitors should go there top enjoy the several food opportunities, including a flamenco bar and restaurant (Ole Ole) and to admire its architecture, modelled after the ancient Roman amphitheatres. The bullring is located at 25 Avenida Doctor Olóriz.

Granada Airport

by barryg23

Granada airport is about 17km west of the city. There is a bus service between the airport and the city centre which leaves approximately every 30 minutes. It stops at many places in the city including the train station and Gran Via de Colon, probably the most convenient stop. As of May 2006 it cost 3Euro for a single ticket.

Comments