Hospederia El Zaguan

Hospederia El Zaguan
Booking.com Priceline.com

More about Granada

The Sacromonte hillThe Sacromonte hill

From our bus to the other busFrom our bus to the other bus

Roundabout with statue leaving Don BenitoRoundabout with statue leaving Don Benito

Looking back at our southern pavilion entry pointLooking back at our southern pavilion entry point

Advice about Granada

by robynhansen

I am going to be traveling to Granada in November foor 1 week and I have a few qestions:

1) I will be there 3 days before my friends. Can anyone suggest a place to visit between there and Madrid that would be worth a day or 2 stop?

2) How do I get from madrid to Granada?

3) Does anyone have suggestions for a hotel in Granada? I'm hoping for something between a hostel and a nice hotel, hopefully in the middle of the city, maybe near a plaza. There will be 4 of us so if it has a commons aread that would be great too.

Re: Advice about Granada

by puerto_lover

I always feel that Toledo is worth staying over. It is close to Madrid and not easily on the route to Granada but is certainly well worth your time. In November the weather can be cool or even cold in Madrid. If you head down to Andalucia you may get some better weather? So maybe take a plane/train/bus to Malaga city. Picasso. Some places to visit and enjoy and you have the choice of exploring further along the coast. Use the train that goes as far as Fuengirola. Or buses.
Alternativeley why not get yourself directly to SEVILLA !!!! You can get to Seville by train or bus or plane from Madrid. Takes 2 /12/ hours by FAST train called AVE. Or takes 6 hours using bus http://www.socibus.es/index.html but so cheap !
Then from lovely Seville you take another bus (or train) over to Granada - takes 3 hours.
In Granada try to stay near the Plaza Nueva - around it they have plenty of places to stay. The tourist office is at the same square. they can help with finding accom. If you arrive in Granada early you can always find somewhere suitable.There are hundreds if not thousands of beds for sale. Look at the hotel listings on Trip Advisor for some ideas. Its low season so expect to pay 50 or under for single.

Re: Advice about Granada

by AnemonaDeAlacant

1)Don't miss The Reina Sofia Museum it can take 1 day, Toledo is a very nice old town with a lot to see.

2)I did last year by train, it is around 5 hours trip, RENFE is the train company.

3)I will recoment a NH Hotel in Granada, very modern, nice, good location, and not bad in price.

I suggest to visit a very good, and traditional restaurant: "Restaurant Puerto Rico", Calle Chinchilla 2, Madrid. phone: 915219834

Travel Tips for Granada

The Alhambra. I cannot...

by DrewV

The Alhambra. I cannot emphasize enough the grandeur of these palaces. The Nasarid dynasty built lavish palaces within the confines of the castle walls, so they didn't need to spend a lot of effort on defensibility, particularly since Granada is mountainous and the cliffside is extremely steep, making a frontal assault by the Christians pretty unlikely. The palaces are built for pleasure. Their use of water is particularly impressive, as can be seen in the Court of the Lions. Look at all these columns and the impressive twelve-lion fountain in the middle of the courtyard. As in Sevilla, the fountain feeds channels which irrigate the courtyard. Brilliant.

Local markets

by SirRichard

Around Xmas there are a lot of markets and stands, specially in the Bib-Rambla and Pescaderia squares, near the Cathedral. There you will have the chance to meet locals which, even not talking much english, will surely find a way to be understood.

Monasterio de la Cartuja

by call_me_rhia

The Monasterio de la Cartuja is a beautiful Carthusian monastery located in the Cartuja area of town. It's a baroque monastery of the 16th century and it no longer functions as a monastery, it was confiscated and many of the buildings within its precint destroyed. If you visit, you should look out for the Doric arches and intricate decorations, sculptures and carvings of the Sacristy.

When it functioned as a monastery, however, it was inhabited by a group of very austere monks who lived under a vow of silence, who would spend their days praying and meditating, and who left the convent only 3 or 4 times a year. Those monks would also not take their meals as a community, but in their cells, except on Sundays and Holy days - they also did not eat meat and on Fridays their diet would consist of bread and water, only.

The monastery is located on Paseo de la Cartuja. Take bus number 8 and C from the Gran Via to get there. You can visit the monastery Monday-Saturday, 10am-1pm and 4-8pm, and Sunday 10am-12pm. Please keep in mind that in winter the closing time is at 6pm.

Local kitchenware

by suvanki about Ruiz Poro- Ferreteria

Often when I've visited foreign countries, I've come back with souvenirs- ornaments,etc, which are gathering dust on my shelves!

I've recently decided to go for more practical reminders of my holiday- so usually food items or music on CD etc. which I can use, and are reminders of my trip

I love cooking, so - I'm usually on the lookout for authentic pots n pans, gadgets etc, So this shop was a great find.

Crammed full of various kitchen ware- all practical stuff, such as paella dishes, oil cans, casserole dishes, even a contraption to hold a full ham for carving!

I'm not sure if I'm right, but I guess Ferreteria means ironmongers! There was a selection of tools, screws, nails, paint etc for sale too. Oil cans start at about 3 euros!
Enamelled Casserole dishes/ Paella dishes.
Ham 'racks'
Paella pans
kitchen gadgets and tools From 1 euro upwards!

Bus from Marbella

by Dabs

We had originally planned to drive from Marbella to Granada but I was reluctant because I hadn't driven a manual car in quite a few years and Kat wasn't comfortable after seeing the traffic on the highway so we ditched the car idea and took the bus instead.

It was 2 3/4 hours to get from Marbella to Granada, 45 minutes longer if you got a non direct bus. Even though our bus was direct, it did stop in Malaga. Once on the road, I was glad we decided to take the bus, we could enjoy a chat and the scenery and avoided the crazy roads in Granada, it would have taken ages to find our hotel!

The cost was 13.27E one way, slightly more for the non direct bus.

We did not have advance reservations, if you need to be on a specific bus, you might ask if that is a possibility as our bus was pretty full. I think some other VTers had purchased in advance.

Comments