Gran Via de Colon 38 - 1, Granada, 18010, Spain

Satisfaction Poor

Costs 37% less but rated 22% lower than other 2 star hotels

• unaS's Profile Photo

A word of warning...

This hostal was recommended by a couple of friends on VT. They obviously didn't have the experience that I did.

I arrived, was asked to pay in advance and fill out the standard information card for the police.
    All done - only to be told that I would be housed in the annex. A reception person walked me over there.

Small, dark, up a side street that had no open shops...all large office buildings and abandoned buildings, no reception after 2200 (10 pm), poor security - at night one has to enter through a different building and climb dark stairs to use a [standard type] key to enter the hallway of the hostal, etc.

The reception person there told me that it was not an annex at all, but a different hostal and he too would need my details for the police. This hostal most definitely did not live up to the promises of the Atenas on it's site. Went back and told them that I was unhappy with their 'annex'. After a bit of an argument they moved me to another hostal in the same building as the Atenas, on a different floor, the Hostal Sonia.

This one too did not have the amenities promised, but at least it was in reasonable condition and acceptable location, had 24 hour reception and a lift. Registered in a 3rd hostal. The police are going to have fun with this one - one person registering in 3 different hostals all within an hour and a half :)

All this despite the fact that I had made my reservation four months in advance and had a confirmed reservation number.

Unique Quality: Be leery of reserving at the Atenas - the woman at the tourist info office knew all about them - they make a habit of overbooking and then farming out customers to neighbouring hostals at discount rates.
    You pay them the agreed rate - in advance - and then they take you to an 'annex' which is not an annex at all but a different hostal for which the Atenas pays less than you paid them.

They appear to accept group bookings a lot and this may be the major reason for the scam.

I am planning on writing to the Spanish Min. of Tourism over this one.

Directions: Very central.

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo

Atenas, really downtown

Okay, this must have been the smallest hotel/hostel room that I have ever stayed in...if the closet had not been large enough to put the suitcase in we would not have had room to get to the bathroom. But on the positive side, it was in central Granada, only a few minutes walk from the Cathedral, Corral del Carbon and Alcaiceria. Their elevator was vintage Jules Verne or is it earlier...but it did do the job if you were thin and had a small suitcase...

Unique Quality: It WAS clean and the air conditioner did work so can't complain too much...well yes, I COULD, but will not because Atenas did save us lots of walking.

Directions: e-mail: info@hostalatenas.com

• Birgie's Profile Photo

Bed Bugs Sleep Here

I just said it, "bed bugs", but it was worse than that. On the outside the hostal looked decent. We were staying down the street at a four star hotel so I didn't expect Hostal Atenas to be anything close to what we left. We had made some impromptu decision to stay in Granada a couple nights more and moving into Hostal Atenas seemed the most painless and inexpensive option. But, sometimes it's just not worth it. Ironically, the hostal was only slightly cheaper than the 4 star since I had gotten a great discount rate at the hotel we were moving out of, but they didn't seem keen to let us stay two more nights for half price! Anyway, Hostal Atenas was scary because the rooms were pretty bad. My mattress, the one with the bed bugs, had an old mattress and no fitted sheet, just a thin sheet tucked in. We were close to calle Elvira in Granada which meant a lot of crazy night time noise and activity right outside our window and some shady characters were wandering the hallways.

Unique Quality: well, their flora and fauna I guess...the morning after sleeping there the second night I noticed a big bumpy red rash across my ribcage. I had felt itchy in the bed during the night and a creepy crawly feeling. Also the digs are of course quite spartan. They do have some decent amenties and a good location if only they woudl throw out the mattresses and get some real linens and keep weirdos out.

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Hotel Atenas

Fairly basic but clean hotel on the main road, close to attractions.

For the price the rooms were adequate, though staff were rude.

It was a little noisy, but I never leave home without my ear plugs!

Unique Quality: walking distance to everything (except the Alhambra).

Directions: From station, take bus number 11 and get off at 2nd stop on Gran Via.

Or about 25 minute walk

• leok's Profile Photo

Great value and location

Relatively cheap and in an amazing location this hostal is minutes walk from Plaza Nueva, walking distance from the Alhambra and all the nightlife. Rooms are basic but clean, quiet and good value for the money. There's also a living room though it wasn't busy while I was there. The hostal also arranges tickets to a flamenco show which seemed a bit expensive to me after Sevilla but I guess are useful if you are only in town for a short while.

Comments