Hotel Las Almenas

Hotel Las Almenas
Booking.com Tingo.com Priceline.com

• TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo

Centrally Located, Average Holel

The Las Alemans (The Battlefields in English) is an older hotel situated on Acera del Darro one of the main streets of downtown Granada. According to the web site, which rarely works in English, the hotel underwent a major makeover in 2007.

We booked the hotel at their web-site after reading generally favorable reviews. The hotel we had hoped for unfortunately booked for both of the two nights of our short visit.

Check-in to the hotel was extremely tedious even though there was no one waiting in line while we were there. Apparently the front desk clerk, an older gentleman, had difficulty finding and communicating with the maid to see that the room was available. The process of checking in took nearly an hour when it should have been not more than a 10 minute process tops.

Our room was on the third floor. Smaller room with two twin beds and very clean. Older white and green tile filled the room as well as the bathroom. Our room was at the side of the hotel and looked out onto what appeared to be another hotel by an alley.

Thin walls made it easy to hear what was going on in the halls and some of the adjacent rooms. However the rooms on the side of the hotel are quiet enough to block out the loud noise of the main street below.

The price of the room which was about 70 euros plus taxes was very reasonable. It did not however include breakfast. There is a small cafe that is connected to the restaurant which serves limited breakfast options.

There is supposed to free internet service in the room but we did not bring a laptop. We did hear people in the lobby complaining that the internet access in the room was poor. There is a very old computer, which almost looks like a video game downstairs, that you can use for internet access. However you deposit coins and the rates were very high for usage.

All in all if you are looking just for a reasonably priced room with no frills and average to slow service this hotel might do the trick. In our case I think we will look elsewhere next time.

Unique Quality: Nice older lobby and great central location.

More about Granada

ChurchChurch

At Alhambra - The Partal Gardens.At Alhambra - The Partal Gardens.

MedellinMedellin

Approaching Alcala la RealApproaching Alcala la Real

Accommodation in Granada

by juliefiona

My daughter and I will be travelling to Andalucia for 10 days in May and will be staying in Granada for 2 nights. We are looking for some centrally located accommodation. We're not interested in expensive 5 star hotels but moreso budget type accommodation, even hostels would be ok so long as it's clean, friendly and has a nice feel to it. Quirky and different is ok too. Budget to medium price range is our choice.

by vtveen

bookmark for a March visit

by worldinabag

Hi

Check out Hotel Abadia - http://www.abadiahotel.com or Hostal Penelope - http://www.hostalpenelope.com. TIP: I suggest you prebook for the Alhambra to avoid queues and hassles - http://granadainfo.com/ticketsalhambra.htm.

by puerto_lover

yes good idea to secure your 'entry slot' for the Nasrid Palaces by booking using the LA CAIXA bank's dedicated on line service.

There are several quirky and nice old style hotels near the Plaza Nueva which is a good 'touristy' place to be for visiting the Alhambra and Albaicin and elsewhere.
This is one example but there are others: http://www.hotelzaguan.com/

On the corner of the Plaza Nueva and the road going up to the Alhambra is a Pension Britz (and nearby the sister Pension Lisboa) refer to www.lisboaweb.com
had some good reports on Trip Advisor and is very central so may suit if you like this kind of place.

by Martin_S.

HI and Shalom, you can check out my pages on Cordova and Granada, we found accomodations very near the center in both towns, clean, fairly inexpensive and convenient, not 5-star as you said.
Martin

by dino335

The Hostal Suecia, Calle Molinos (Huerta de los Angeles) 8, fits that description. Stayed there a few years ago. Note that a "Hostal" in Spain is not a "Hostel", this place has 11 private double rooms. Very clean, on a quiet cul de sac.

by unaS

Good budget hostal is the Hostal Sonia on the Grand Via. Excellent location.
I stayed there in September. Nice large rooms. Full details on my Granada pages.

Agree with all the others - do get your tickets for the Al Hambra in advance on line!

by Jawnuta

See the hostal we were staying at during our 2007 trip.
It was centrally located downtown and we were able to walk to Alhambra (nice walk with great views).
You can get details on my VT Granada page

by nicolasgranada

Hi!
i will recommend hostal atenas in Gran via, it 3 start not too much expensive, and is located in Gran via.
About alhambra, u definetly have to book via servicaixa if u want to avoid all problems and queue.
Nicolás

by unaS

Have to say that the Hostal Atenas is not always the best. You can see about my experience on my Granada page. Had a really difficult time with them I'm sorry to say.

by juliefiona

Thank you so much to everybody who responded to my queries...I never imagined I'd have so many responses from so many people. Your ideas have been far more helpful than all the travel books I've been wading through.

by Martin_S.

Yes I agree that one of the nice things here on VT is the helpful information you can get. When you return home from your trip, YOUR addition of what you have seen and learned will help the next VTers on THEIR trip ^O^
Enjoy Spain, it is wonderful.
Martin

Travel Tips for Granada

Granada University choir

by mvtouring

At the restaurant that we were taken to, we had the pleasure of listening to the University choir who were also selling some of their CD's to the patrons. They have magnificent voices and it was really a pleasure to listen to them

SALA DE LAS DOS HERMANAS

by BerniShand

this is the famous Room of the two Sisters, not real sisters, the name comes from the two marble slabs on the floor, look how wonderfully it is carved, but come and look at the fabulous views from the windows, down there is the Garden of Daraxa

we are nearly finished looking in these palaces now, we have been in here for almost three hours !

Snow time

by ginguba

If you go in winter, you'll defenetly have to take warm clothes (it does snow there). but if you go (even for snowboarding) around march april, you won't need winter clothes to go around the resort. As for going up the moutain i advise you to take a waterproof jacket, trousers and gloves. but under the jacket you can take a t-shirt, cause if you're lucky to get a sunny day, you'll find out you get really hot. It's preferable to take a good jacket and something light under it, than to take out your jacket cause when you fall you'll get snow everywhere!...
You'll also need equipment - the snow board and some proper boots - and you have loads of places where you can rent it. Don't know if you can rent those snow glasses cause you shouldn't take you're normal sunglasses, you can brake them in some bigger fall.
You should alse take a snow cap or something like that. It was hot this last time i went, and i didn't take it. for that i got a sunburn on top of my head. and i've got plenty of hair!!! Talking of sun... you'll defenetly have to take some sun cream. A moutain one. Cause that mixture of sun reflecting in the white snow, and the cold and the ice is quite powerfull and you're skin will suffer. If you're snowboarding don't take a big camera. Specially when you're starting it. you'll fall loads and you can hurt yourself or even break it. I took my lomo and digital camera wrapped in some fabric. Cause you do have loads to photograph, speacially if you're going with you're friends!! and amazing views!

A walk in a park

by Christina1881

I "came across" this park a day where I was just wondering about near the Alhambra. It is not a really huge park, but there is an amazing view from the park over the city and also the park is very calm and beautiful.

I dont remember the adress - I will find it soon as posible, Im sorry.

Roadworks in Granada centre

by suvanki

On arrival into Granada from the airport (2006), I was surprised to see the extensive roadworks and redevelopment that was taking place - Via de Colon is particularly affected. Although the airport bus was easily able to drop us off outside the Cathedral, on the return journey it was a different matter. The pavement and bus stops opposite the Cathedral are 'fenced in' with wire enclosed walkways. I'd enquired at my hostal and at the Tourist Info office as to where the bus for the airport stopped and was assured that it was in the usual place, opposite the Cathedral.
I was finally directed about 300 metres down the road, by a chestnut seller, who was indicating the cupola (dome) of a church. I spotted a couple here, who were travelling to the airport too, and were equally unsure as to where the bus stopped - when the bus arrived, the driver did let us on, but we were still in the wrong place, the stop was a further 100 metres away. So allow plenty of time to find the bus stop, as it will probably be in a different place.

The Granada Tour bus has also been affected, and no longer stops at the Cathedral, instead it waits in Ave. del Casino. (From the Cathedral, facing the Christopher Columbus Statue, turn right down Calle Reyes Catolicos, pass by opposite Plaza del Carmen, and a bit further along You'll see the Post Office (also on the left side of the road) The wide road to your left is Ave de Casino - Walk down the right side of this Avenue for a short distance and You'll see the bus stop for the Tour Bus.

Apparently this chaos is going to continue for a further 2-3 months (I'd guess it could take a lot longer, as they're planning an underground system) untill the elections!
(Hopefully by now it's sorted!)

Comments