Plaza Bib Rambla 4, Granada, Granada Province, 08010, Spain

Similarly priced and rated as other 2 star hotels

More about Los Tilos

Granada

by GlobeTrekr

I lived in Granada during the summer of 2000 because I studied abroad, through UCLA, and attended La Universidad de Granada. Life there was mellow and the siesta was honored everyday which meant after lunch I’d go back to my room and take a nap. Siesta time was a great time to go sight seeing even though almost every business was closed. I recall doing that once and it only served to reinforce how much I love to nap, something I attribute to my wife who took me under her wing and educated me in the art of napping! Hotel Los Tilos, overlooking Plaza Bib Rambla, was home throughout my entire stay in Granada rooming with my Bruin colleague Jesse who preferred Burger King, McDonald’s and Pizza Hut to the daily free Spanish lunch we were provided. He managed to eat tapas, paella and I think he had a falafel from an Arab stand with me once. We’re still good friends to this day and I hope his palate has upgraded from processed American chains at least when it comes to travelling. My routine was simple during the week. I had continental breakfast, walked to the university, attended classes, had typical Spanish lunch at Hotel Las Nieves, back to my room to nap, study for a few hours and convince Jesse to walk around and explore. Most weekends we went on nearby excursions with the entire program.

Granada is full of culture and history which includes 781 years of Moorish rule. Moors were Islamic inhabitants of the Iberian Peninsula with North African, Arab, and Berber backgrounds. Moors essentially brought Arab and North African influence to modern day Spain and is evident from the architecture to the cuisine. Moorish influence is everywhere and culminates at La Alhambra, which was a Moorish palace and fortress that still stands today. Gypsies roam the streets with olive branches ready to inform you of your future and eager to collect your money. The barrio of Sacramonte has long been a gypsy haven with homes etched into the mountain side like hobbit style caves. Moreover, Granada is ultimately Spanish with the Cathedral anchored at the center of the city and Andalusian pride floating through its air.

"La Alhambra"

La Alhambra. The last Moorish stronghold in the Iberian Peninsula. A Moorish palace with unprecedented beauty and architecture. A fortress strategically built atop a hill to defend its city but its days were numbered. January 2, 1492 the last Moorish King of Granada, Boabdil, surrenders the city to the army of Fernando and Isabella. With the surrender the Moors are pushed south and expelled out of the peninsula. It is here at La Alhambra where the Italian Cristoforo Colombo, aka Christopher Columbus, convinced the Spanish monarchs Isabella and Fernando to finance his trip to India which landed him in the Bahamas on an island that he named San Salvador. It is unsure today which island that exactly is.

La Alhambra is much more than the financing of Columbus' fiasco that accidentally led him to the Americas and truly believing he "discovered" it! There is gorgeous architecture and unimaginable attention to detail that is sure to take anybody's breath away. The palace is lined with lush, serene gardens on the way to El Palacio de Generalife, the summer palace which sits adjacent to La Alhambra. Within La Alhambra also lies El Palacio de Carlos V, aka Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor of Spain. It is a palace constructed by him in 1527 to become a permanent residence which has since served for Spanish royalty.

"Plaza Nueva"

Plaza Nueva was initially built to cover the Rio Darro and have more city. Apparently it has seen its share of history from public exections to bullfights. Today its a nice open area to stroll around, souvenir shop and decide which outdoor eatery to sit at. It lies just under the hill where La Alhambra is and gives you nice views of looking up at the palace. The picture is of the Royal Chancellery which dates back to 1530 and part of it was designed by Diego de Siloé. Although no longer a Chancellery, today it serves as the main building of the Andalusian High Court of Justice.

Typical house at AlbaicínTypical house at Albaicín

The Pool Court.The Pool Court.

Me with a random guy in green!Me with a random guy in green!

Route through AlcaudeteRoute through Alcaudete

Help in Booking ALSA Bus ticket (Granada - Cordoba)

by orangecrab

Hello, I wanted to book my tickets From Granada - Cordoba but was confused when there were so many options to the cities of origin and destination.

CITIES OF ORIGIN:

Belmez Cordoba
Coronada cordoba
Espejo cordoba
cartavio

Which ones should I select?
Note: I'll be staying at Hotel Mirador Arabeluj (Camino Nuevo del Cementerio, 46. 18009 Granada)
Not sure about my lodgings in Cordoba yet.

Any clarifications on the above is greatly appreciated!

by Windsailor

City of Origin; Granada and destination city; Cordoba, simple as that. Other places you mention, like Huetor are in the province of Granada, but not in the city itself. The same goes for Córdoba. So just type when booking "Granada" without any added place names and the same goes for Córdoba.

by orangecrab

Thanks Windsailor and pedmar for the clarifications!

I'd like to check a couple more things. I read from a previous VT post that it is advisable to buy a multi-ride card on your first bus ride. Is that bought on board the bus or a station somewhere?
Can we then use this multi-ride card in Cordoba too?

by Windsailor

Pedmar, I do not know if you remember when Granada had that old Bus station only couple of minutes walking distance from the center, that very outdated and small and allways full fumes bustation located in Camino de Ronda now converted into something like a expo palace, but it was so conveniently located that when you use this new one, you allmost feel like crying. Not that this new one would be far, not at all, and it is a great improvement to the old one but the old bus station was so near to everything... Oh well, modern times.

by Mozumbus

well, you have got the answers by now, I just want to add two cents:

There is absolutley no need to book the Granada-Cordoba bus in adavnce, unless you have specific reasons of doing so. I will recommend you to book the bus once you are in Granada, for this you do need to go to the bus station, which is not very difficult. You can also use user-friendly Spanish speaking vending machines if you see queues at the ticket counter.

A tip: take the change with you as per the fare.

For further insight, especially about the carnet, you may like to see my Granada Tips: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/120e17/4112d/9/

Have a great trip.....

by orangecrab

Thanks all for your inputs. But I thought since I'm arriving Andalucia in Mid July which is the peak period, it is advisable to book beforehand? or does that only apply to train tickets and not buses?

by Mozumbus

your concern is valid due to high season. However, you will be on a safer side if you buy tickets once you are there instead of buying right before leaving...

by orangecrab

thanks! ok, i feel relieved now. will focus on other parts of my itinerary now :O)

Travel Tips for Granada

NASRID PALACES

by LoriPori

The NASRID PALACES consists of the following:
Mexuar: Hall, Oratory, Gilded Room and Patio
Comares Palace: Court of the Myrtles, Hall of the Boat, Hall of the Ambassadors
Palace of the Lions: Hall of the Mocarabes, Patio, Hall of the Abencerrajes, Hall of the Kings, Hall of the Two Sisters
The Emperor's Chambers: Belvedere, Court of the Wrought Iron Grille, Garden of Lindaraja
The Partal: Palace Porche, Rauda, Palace of Yusef III, Walkway of Towers
Entrance to the Nasrid Palaces is included with your ticket.

Keep your Rucksack Safe -- Keep your kit Dry

by into-thin-air

If you are travelling Anywhere and using a Rucksack / Backpack as your luggage then I would Strongly recommend that you use some form of Rucksack / Backpack Pro-tector !!

This tip is from my own personal experience, as I have had Big Problems having my Rucksack damaged or even destroyed by airlines, particularly on Airport Carousels,
What can happen is that one of the straps can drop in-between the lats on the moving Carousel and then as your Rucksack goes around a corner, the strap gets ripped off, I lost the entire back and carrying system from one of my rucksacks !! You Definitely don't want this to happen, Especially on the way out to start walking your Camino !!
As The Rucksack Pro-Tector has the second function as a water-resistant liner for your rucksack. It is a particularly useful piece of kit for Camino walking, Other rucksack protectors leave you with the problem of having to carry it around with you for the walk with no useful function !! I have tried many of the Rucksack / Backpack Protectors that are available on the market and was disappointed with how they performed, So after having many problems with these decided to design and manufacture my own.
Full details of how this came about are written up on my Nepal page.
So, Obviously my own recommendation would be to get your Rucksack / Backpack Protector from Pro-Tector. Also, after successfully designing, producing and selling the Rucksack Pro-tector for several years, I have now introduced some new lines such as a Pro-Tector Travel Wallet and a Pro-Tector Document / Valuables Travel Pouch and now the Brand New Treking Pole Pro-Tector

Las Alpujarras

by Beach_dog

A region in the west of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Rugged mountain scenery with the towns of Orgiva and Lanjaron worth visiting.

Las Alpujarras has been popularised by some of the books written about it, Gerald Brenan´s ´South from Granada´ and Chris Stewerts ´Driving over Lemons´ and ´Parrot in a pepper tree´ both tell the tales of Englishmen who came to live in the area.

Its still a quiet and relatively unspoilt rural region .

Somewhere to start the night on Calle Elvira...

by blint about Paprika

This is a lovely little warm and friendly sit down bar. The chairs are all cushioned too which makes it a great place to relax on a quite night or to start the night. Beware as it is a small, popular place, you might not find a seat. They serve tapas or to my delight I noticed that they serve A SUNDAY ROAST!!!!!! So this Sunday I'm trotting off down there to sample some! It better be good! I'll tell you my verdict (though I do have high standards).

Comments