Pension Veracruz

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

More about Granada

Ambassadors' Hall.Ambassadors' Hall.

A picture taken while I could still focus :¬)A picture taken while I could still focus :¬)

Route then goes onto Camino de TerraRoute then goes onto Camino de Terra

Detail of the illuminating windows aboveDetail of the illuminating windows above

Andalucia Itinerary

by julia687

hi!
I've changed my itinerary and booked my flights now flying in to Seville late on the 21st of Feb and out of Granada on the 1st of March giving me 8 nights in total and I am looking for ideas for where to go and what to do with my time. I am travelling on my own and on a budget so I dont want to travel around too much.

At the moment I was thinking of 3/4 nights Seville - 2/3 nights not sure where - 2 nights Granada. I was thinking of Cordoba or Jerez for the other 2/3 nights?
Am I trying to do too much in such a short period of time? would I be better with 5 nights Seville and 3 nights Granda?
I'm also trying to find out information about Bus services in the region, any info? Is the train better?

Anything which you think would be helpful to me would be great!
Thanks!

by Hopkid

I was in Andalucia just about 2 years ago. How long you want to spend in each city depends on what you want to see and do. When we went we spent 2 nights in Sevilla, 3 nights in Granada, and then 3 more nights in Sevilla...same number of nights as your trip. We were never bored in either place and did a day trip to Cordoba during the second stay in Sevilla. How about this:

Sevilla 4 nights
Cordoba 1 night
Granada 3 nights

Obviously these are the three big attraction cities in Andalucia. Cordoba is only an hour via train from Sevilla. Granada is more like 3 hours via train from Sevilla. Check renfe.es for schedules and fares. I've seen posts about bus systems in Andalucia before but can't recall at the moment.

Of course if you want to cram in more places you could head down to Jerez, El Puerto de Santa Maria, and/or Cadiz and shave some nights off of the other cities.

by chanito

I think you are trying to do too much. Stick to Granada and Seville, and do day trips from your base if you like. I think Seville has better day trip options (Cordoba, Jerez) but Granada is more interesting as a city. I personally prefer trains.

RE: RE: Andalucia Itinerary

by aegialichick

for buses see www.alsina.graells.es their website comes also in English
Like Chanito I prefer Granada, not so huge like Sevilla, and you could do a day trip to Orgiva at the start of the Alpujarra - but if you go try to make it on Thursday for the weekly market.
Andalucia has fantastic youth hostel network - I stayed at Cordoba and Granada last year and had a 4-bed room all to myself! think you can book through www.hihostels.com
In Granada of course you have to visit the Alhambra palace and gardens, Sacromonte; in Cordoba the Mezquita
all the best - have a great holiday - e-mail me if you want to ask anything
fee

by Birgie

I am having the same problem!!! I have a trip to Spain in June and I can't decide where and what to do!

Well...I plan to spend at least 3 nights in Seville even though I don't know anyone there because there is alot to do and see there that I think my daughter would like (she's 8). I am spending most of the my time in Granada because I studied there for a year and I have friends to see but it also has a great atmosphere and there is of course, the Alhambra and other attractions like the Albaicin (go with a group) and cathedrals, etc. University town so there's a lot of nightlife and cheap eats! Maybe I am biased because I know that city the best! I would choose Cordoba over Jerez, but near Jerez are some of the most beautiful beaches in my opinion, so it depends on what you like. Buses are good, trains are good and both are reasonably priced. Try RENFRE website for trains. The bus is decent but train might be faster to most places. The bus I used most often which still is running is Alsina but just do a Google for bus. If you speak Spanish, which you probably do, much more easy!

Birgit

RE: RE: Andalucia Itinerary

by julia687

Thank you all for your help! Only a week till I go now!

Travel Tips for Granada

Granada has a lot to offer

by pepples46

of course the Alhambra is the magnet for the City of Granada, no doubt about that. but the City has also esquisite restaurants, pubs and wonderful accommodation.
and there are wonderful excursions to be had around Granada, south on the foothills of the Sierra Nevada, the white ancient Villages Las Alpujarras, lush farmland, snowy peaks.
the National Park of the Sierra Nevada over 2000m high, the highes ski slopes in Europe....nearly all year round ski fun driving along the foothills of the Sierra Nevada, Olivegroves and Sunflower fields

FREE FOOD

by blint

Don't order food with your beer until you see if they bring you free tapas. If they don't bring any ask them if your drink comes with free tapas because sometimes they can forget!

Only in Granada can you eat proper tapas for free. In other parts of Andalucia they will give you only olives or crisps. In Granada they give you all sorts.

For example: Sardines,chorizo(Spanish sausage type thing), Morcilla(black pudding), Pan Catalan(bread with freshly squeezed tomatoes and cured ham), patatas fritas (French fries) and much much more.

With every drink your tapas will get better better ( not only due to the effects of the alcohol). They have a set menu for everyone’s first, second, third tapas etc. I usually like to move around a lot, so I have no idea what they will give you if you stay in the same bar all night (a three course meal? Lobster? Caviar?)!

Lots of Room for your Towel

by CanadianinSpain

Did you know Granada has beaches? Yes, it's called the Costa Tropical and there are 28km of beaches. Not many foreign tourists find there way here. This pictures was taken in August when most other beaches are jam packed with people. The water is quite cold here but it's crystal clear and clean. Enjoy the fresh sardines barbequed right on the beach over hot coals. Watch the fishermen come in with their fresh catches. Visit the local castle on top of a hill overlooking the sea and sugar cane fields. Buy fresh mangos grown in the fields nearby. This is for those who want to rest and enjoy the scenery. No noisy discos here.

Salimos por la noche

by Christina1881 about Huerto del Loro

"Huerto del Loro" - a bar/dancing/disco place with groovy music built "into the mountain"!

It is hard for me to explain what it was that I loved so much about "Huerto del Loro" that it made me come back week after week for the three months I lived in Granada.
I enjoy the music there - the posibility of meeting other people (a few foreigners, but mostly Spanish people come here) and the very relaxed atmosphere!
Some are dancing - others just sitting there, drinking and talking, smoking and laughing - some times there are really CROWDED other times you feel all alone - but having tried both I must say that they can both be REALLY FUN!

In the summer - when the warmth of the sun has a arrived - "Huerto del Loro" has a "terraza" upstairs where you can enjoy you drink being outside enjoying the warm weather as well! There is no dress code, come as you like! Some are really "dressed up" for a wild night out - others more relaxed for a beer with the friends before the weekend!

The road to Granada & Niguelas from the coast

by amapola66

The road to Niguelas (which continues onto Granada city ) is a rather scenic affair...Pictured here, windmills for power and the much needed/debated dam.

We recently drove this road again, but at night. When you get near to the Granada, the city appears all of a sudden, nestled below the mountains lit up with thousands of little white light...An awesome sight, Granada is even beautiful at night, from a distance.

Comments