Puerta De Las Granadas

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 25% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• coccinella169's Profile Photo

Puerta de las Granadas

This hotel is really close to Granada`s most famous sights, for example the Alhambra or the Albaicin quarter. I had booked a double room for single use, which was really, really small, but nice furnished. I cannot imagine, that two people sleep there. Staff is really friendly, they offer free internet access. There`s a nice patio and a viewpoint.

Directions: Centre

• Hopkid's Profile Photo

Nice location, modern boutique hotel

Housed in a completely renovated 19th century building on Cuesta de Gomerez on the way to the Alhambra entrance, this hotel offers 16 modern rooms decorated in a minimalist theme. Double beds are available, bathrooms are clean and efficient, and lighting is plentiful and chic. Our room, with a double bed, was pretty small though.

There is also high speed internet access available in each room so you can update your VT tips while on your vacation. But don’t fret if you don’t have your laptop with you as they have a community computer with internet access on the first floor landing. There is a lovely patio garden just outside the second floor in the back which is a nice place to sit with a cool drink after the sun has moved behind the buildings. Breakfast is not included in the room rate but is available for 6 euros and features cereal, cold meats and cheeses, rolls, bread/toast, yogurt, fresh fruit, coffee, juices, and tea.

The reception staff are very friendly, helpful, and most speak the best English I encountered on this trip. In addition, I made reservations online and was quoted a room rate of 79 euros but when I checked out they only charged me 64.50. No complaints from me there!

Unique Quality: Minimalist decor, nice backyard courtyard, free internet station, free high speed internet access in each room, air conditioning, friendly and helpful staff, quiet and central location, breakfast (6 euros extra)

Directions: Up the hill from the Plaza Nueva about 100m towards the Alhambra

More about Puerta De Las Granadas

The Gate of Pomegranates - Puerta de las Granadas

by smschley

The Gate of Pomegranates - Puerta de las Granadas - was built by the Christians in the 16th century in honour of the visit of Emperor Charles V, then known as the Puerta de Carlos Quinto. It was placed at the bottom of the Alhambra forest, on a street known as the Cuesta de Gomerez, which the Christians preferred to the old Moorish entrance at the foot of the Alcazaba.

Under the Moors, the slopes around the castle had to be kept stripped bare of vegetation for military purposes, and the shady trees which now grace the hill were not planted until after the conquest, by the Christians. The gate is popularly known for the over-sized, bursting pomegranates carved in stone and which stand on its massive lintel. The pomegranate - granada - became the symbol of the city because of the similarity of this Spanish word and one of Granada's prehistoric names, Granata.

by Hopkid

The Gate of the Pomegranates was built by Carlos I on the approach to the Alhambra via Calle Cuesta de Gomerez. Continuing up the hill though the gate will bring you to the Bosque Alhambra woods and a nice Renaissance fountain, the Pilar de Carlos V, very near the Puerta de la Justicia. You can enter the Alhambra grounds at the Puerta de la Justicia if you already have your ticket, not needing to go to the main ticket office further up the street.

by aaaarrgh

This gate I believe gives the city of Granada its name. At the top you can see some stone pomegranates - the granadas. The arch dates back to the mid sixteenth century.

If you are planning to walk or catch the mini-bus from Plaza Nueva to the Alhambra ticket office, you willneed to pass under this gate on your way up the hill.

Good place, friendly staff

by TripAdvisor Member vantreal

I booked this hotel through a hotel booking web site. Out of all the hotels I booked, this is the only one sent me a direct confirmation and provided assistance. I had several questions and they gave me all the information I needed. The staff were friendly and eager to help.
The room is small but with everything you need. The patio is a nice place to hang out in a hot afternoon.
Great location and convenient access to major attractions.

Loved this Hotel!!

by TripAdvisor Member KilgoreTrout

This hotel was a fantastic find thanks to trip advisor! I had read the good reviews on this site and decided to book myself a few nights. It's location is perfect, located on the road that leads from Plaza Nueva (Old Granada's central square) to the Alhambra (the main and most magnificent tourist attraction in the city). To walk to the plaza it takes all of 30 seconds, and 15 minutes (warning, a steep climb - you may want to take the Alhambra Bus from Plaza Nueva instead) to the Alhambra. The front desk staff were friendly, helpful and attractive (it's true!). All spoke flawless english and provided each guest with a map of Granada and highlighted the tourist attractions and suggested good walking tour itineraries to you upon check in without being asked. The hotel is very clean and is housed in a 19th century house. Obviously recently redone in a very modern style, the rooms feature attractive laminate flooring, wood pannelled walls, modern decor and adequate sized bathrooms, with frosted glass doors and stainless steel. Each room has an individual air conditioner which was a blessing in the blistering August heat. The hotel also features an affordable and very tasty buffet breakfast and FREE internet! There is a lovely patio on the 2nd floor and a "mirador" on the roof. It seems they have several tiers of room quality. I stayed in the second tier room called "gomerez", it was very large compared to the size of the hotel (i think there are 16 rooms in total) and there was no noise from the street. The only caution I would give is if you're a light sleeper be careful, the walls are quite thin and you can hear people in other rooms. I didnt have a problem, mostly because the nights were quiet and I sleep like a log, but others might not. For 60 euros a night, this hotel was a STEAL. I loved it and will stay there again if I ever return to Granada.

Customer Service Muy Bueno! Lo Mejor ...

by TripAdvisor Member LarenD

From the immediate check-in, the Puerta was a gem. The young woman working the reception was not only beautiful, her willingness to help us navigate Granada was above and beyond. After days of odd ball check in hosts, her stunning looks and over the top service was a pleasure.

The Hostel was my favorite for Spain. I like non traditional hostels, those that reflect architectual history with modern amenities. The Puerta was right on! And in August's heat, the AC was spot on. Location is NOT within steps of Alhambra but within steps of the best the town center offers. Only the Parador and Hotel America are steps from the Alhambra. The bus stop to the monument was steps away and an ease to navigate.

As for the hotel, very modern but in an elegant building. Excellent features like breakfast, terraces, and state of the art rooms. The internet access was most helpful and appreciated.

Finally, as we closed up for another long evening, the young woman (another) was again most helpful with superb customer service and like her co-worker, another beautiful young woman. As we checked out, the next morning, it all came together; the manager / owner (?) worked the dek and she was not only very concerned about impeccible customer service, she, too, was a very attractive woman as well. This hotel left a wonderful impression in light of location, service, and beauty.

Fanatstic customer service, good location

by TripAdvisor Member bettyjo

We were greeted by a very friendly and helpful receptionist, who gave us a city map and maked it with walks and sights she thought we might find interesting from talking to us about our plans for our stay. When we lost the map only hours later she was more than happy to provide us with another, and was readily available to answer any future questions we had. The free internet was a nice touch too. The room itself was small, but adequate with a very powerful shower in the ensuite. The only slight complaint was that the bed spread felt very sticky, and not altoghether clean, but everything else seemed spotless. From this hotel we were able to walk the very steep hill to the Alhambra, but also had easy access to all other parts of the city. For value for money this hotel was excellent, and provided a very enjoyable stay.

Wonderful experience.

by TripAdvisor Member velezboy

Both my wife and myself can highly recommend this hotel from the moment we checked into reception we were made to feel very welcome. We were very fortunate to be allocated the star room 401 with beautiful uninterupted views of the Alhambra from our bedroom. The staff were superb and very attentative with advice and booking a flamenco show in the Sacromote district was not a problem for them given the short notice that we did. The room was very comfortable with all the nesessary accoutrements one should need. The location was second to none just up from the Plaza Nueva all within easy walking distance.

We both look forward to our next visit in January and will further be recommending this hotel to family and friends.

Comments