Noguera De La Sierpe

Hotel Rural Noguera de la Sierpe
Booking.com Priceline.com

More about Jaén

Frontier fortressFrontier fortress

School children exploring the castleSchool children exploring the castle

The campsiteThe campsite

Jaen's coat-of-arms - Escudo de JaénJaen's coat-of-arms - Escudo de Jaén

Travel Tips for Jaén

Views over Jaen from the castle

by elucas

The whole city of Jaen is "spread beneath your feet" - or so it seems. If you look closely at these pictures you can see more detail. The great cathedral towers above the rooftops, in the foreground lies the old Moorish city, while running into the distance are the ever expanding streets leading out to modern developments on the fringes.

Andrew and I noticed this in almost every place we visited. New developments on the fringes of ancient towns such as Jerez de la Frontera, Arcos de la Frontera, Jaen, Ubeda, huge new developments on the Costa del Golf south of Jerez and Chiclana and very often a new road winding its way through the rocky sierras. Every time we visit Spain we need to buy a new roadmap !

Jaen - castles, churches and olive groves

by alucas

I moved all my previous info from this page to my Banos page, in preparation for a full re-write. Apologies to those of you who have temporarily lost your "top five" - it won't be for long, I'm sure !

We decided to visit Jaen whilst we were staying in Ubeda - it's not that far away, and I particularly wanted to visit the castle and the cathedral. However, we had to go to the post office in Ubeda before we left, and as a result we were a little late in arriving in Jaen - it was almost noon when we drove into the city. The traffic was very heavy and there were road-works holding up the traffic. We didn't have a map of the city (MOST unusual for me) and so headed towards the centre, hoping to spot a sign for a car-park, or if we were really lucky, find a space on the street. It wasn't to be our day though, and we found ourselves diverted away from the centre and stuck on a road heading back out again with no way of turning round. So we decided to go to Banos de la Encina to see the castle there again.

We to Jaen returned later in the afternoon, before the traffic built up, and headed for the Parador and castle. On the way back, we managed to find the Cathedral quite easily, but of course we were too late - it wasn't open - and we still couldn't park. Still as Liz says "always leave something to go back to" !!!

Comments