Grand Hotel Palmera Plaza

Cl Pizarro 1-3, Jerez De La Frontera, Costa de la Luz, 11403, Spain

More about Jerez de la Frontera

La Maceta and La Ina next door.La Maceta and La Ina next door.

Morrocan Arches at the AcazarMorrocan Arches at the Acazar

Gonzales Byass, the barrels, SpainGonzales Byass, the barrels, Spain

sevillianas dancingsevillianas dancing

Feria del Caballo

by VViking

Does anyone know whether special trains/buses run from Jerez de la Frontera to Cadiz (and vice versa)during the Feria. When I say "special" I mean trains/buses that depart very, very late (or early hours of the morning) back to Cadiz!! Looking forward to your replies.

RE: Feria del Caballo

by chanito

During the Carnaval of Cadiz, there are late/early trains to get you to/from Jerez at the weekends when Cadiz is positively heaving. There is no such service in place for the Jerez Feria. You only option is either to find a place to sleep in Jerez (which I imagine you've tried without success and so therefore are asking about visiting from Cadiz) or paying a taxi to get you back to Cadiz. No idea on the cost of this one but I know that from Jerez to Puerto its about 20, so I would assume at least twice that for Cadiz. Particularly at the weekend, the party at the Feria is still going on when normal bus/train schedules resume, so if you can tough it out all night....

Thank you, Chanito.

I would LOVE to stay up until the early hours and catch the first morning train back to Cadiz, but I don't think at my age (feels like 103) I could keep awake - especially after all that sherry! A taxi could be worth the fare though. I shall ponder... Thanks again.

by alucas

Saw the other posting first - but see you have got the answer from Chanito. You never know, I might even bump into you there !

by VViking

I'm working on it - I'll be the one looking very tired and emotional with a silly grin on my face!

by tkkona57

Aloha.. Would you be able to tell me when the Feria in Cadiz begins? Or better yet, when are all the ferias in May? Thanks

Travel Tips for Jerez de la Frontera

Rebujito

by H0BB1T

This is a great beverage, refreshing and sweet, it is perfect for the hot weather. It is made of sherry and seven up (1/4 of dry sherry and 3/4 of seven up).
You can drink it alone, or while eating "tapas" or fried fish. You can ask for it in any bar in the city.

Good Tapas

by blint about La Cruz Blanca

Like the Meson de Asador, this place is always packed, though it is well worth trying as the tapas are delightful.

There is also a Cruz Blanca in Cadiz capital, so I was surprised when I spotted this one in Jerez, I didn't realise there was more than one. I wonder if there are many more out there?

The Cruz Blanca also has a ample terrace which adds to it's seating space for the lunch time rush.

It came second in the Ruta del Tapas competition in 2006, I have no idea if it has won anything since, though it is highly likely.

If you visit the website you will be able to see some photos of the tapas under the section Cocina, unfortunately for the non Spanish speakers the web site is only in Spanish.

Prices were around 2.50€ per tapa El secreto

Bodegas

by ramblingrose

Since wine is one of my favorite subjects I truely enjoyed my visit to a sherry bodega. The large cellars filled with oak casks, the history, the blending of the wine and of course the tasting at the end makes for a fun visit. Other than a couple of good VT member tips I had trouble locating information before my trip so I collected brochures to scan and include with this tip and the next 6 . If you have problems with the resolution let me know.

Gonzales Byass Bodega, the distillery

by Martin_S.

The next leg of our tour took us into the old brandy distillery where they had preserved some of the old stills. Actually they had been in use till only about 20 years ago if I remember our guides explanations correctly. She spoke English very well, but spoke at the speed of a Spanish machine gun, if your attention failed even for a moment you were in trouble trying to "catch up" with her. What was important with the guide was that she gave us much factual information, but presented it in an entertaining way which does tend to capture your attention. A fairly long tour of over an hour seemed very short in actuality. Here in the old distillery she showed us the full range of brandies as you can see on the table, they ranged from raw new brandy to that beautiful amber color of aged barrel brandy.

The Alcazar

by blint

The Alcazar is not only a wonderful example of an Arabic fortifications, but also contains a mosque, Arabic baths, gardens and a Camera Oscura. The Camera Oscura is a great device which allows you to see moving pictures of the rooftops and sites of Jerez.

It is open Mondays to Saturdays 10-6 and Sundays 10-3 and costs €2.50 to enter. You can also get a guided tour if you book in advance.

Comments