Hotel Jimena Real

Jimena CastleJimena Castle

King Maillekeul - Maillekeul 1erKing Maillekeul - Maillekeul 1er

Travel Tips for Jimena de la Frontera

by bugalugs

This village was built by the Nasrids in the 13th century as a fortress and you can understand why having the prime position it has high on a hill.
Many cultures fought for the castle including a battle between the moors and the christians in 1434.

by bugalugs

There was a restaurant in one of the narrow alleyways but we also found this little bar. On entering I could hardly see at first after the glare of the sun, be careful though as there are quite a few stone steps down.

by bugalugs

Parking was a bit of a squeeze around here. As you pass the entrance to the castle, on the right hand side there is some room to park your car.
Look out for eagles and vultures while you are here, we saw some.
Also we had a walk along the country lane away from the castle and saw this donkey, as I absolutely love donkeys I couldnt resist taking its picture, however I think it was more intent on eating :-)

Jimena de la Frontera

by bugalugs

We were spending a few days in Gibraltar and hired a car to drive over into Spain. As we are not really 'beach' people we wanted to explore and visited Castellar de la Frontera and also here Jimena de la Frontera.

As there isnt a page on vt for Castellar de la Frontera, I will put that under the 'Off the beaten track' heading.

There seems to be a nice village below these castle ruins, however we didnt have time to explore there also and drove straight up to the castle instead.

Comments