Club La Costa at Marina del Sol

Absolutely fabulous time at Marina Del sol

by TripAdvisor Member bizzy786

Spent a week 19th Jan to 26th Jan 08 with wife and 3 children at
Santa Cruz Suites at Marina Del Sol at Club Lacosta near to fuengirola
on the Costa Del Sol as part of a ''free holiday''.

Upon arrival we were checked in and taken to our 'room' by the porter.
Upon entering the room we were amazed at the the quality of the accommodation. 3 bedrooms all en suite, Mater bedroom included a Jacuzzi which me and my wife made 'good use of'. the apartment was immaculateley clean. Had a large fully equipped kitchen with all mod cons, dishwasher washing machine fridge etec etc. Large dining area, large lounge anmd a massive balcony to all 3 rooms. 2 nearby pools one which was heated. My daughters were never out of it.

The weather was amazing 21 degrees all week which really made the holiday for us. All the staff were friendly and helpful. Club lacosta at marina del sol is a massive resort.

The resort is just outside fuengirola with good bus and train links to all the main resorts, benalmadea, torremolinos, malaga, marbella. went to gibraltar for the day too which we really enjoyed and also Tivoliworld, a theme park nearby which was a great day out as the weather was so good.

One downside the resort is very hilly and a lot of walking has to be done to get about.

apart from that we had an absoluteley amazing time and i would recommend the 'free holiday'. we did have to attend a presentation but
our rep Klaus was very good natured and took us for breakfast and a tour of the complex on our second day. we listened and said no to buying anything and he was fine about it. Then we were left to enjoy our hols.

If you get a call and are offered a free holiday my advice is go for it. We were very dubious about it all but im glad we did it.

This review will be most helpful!

by TripAdvisor Member August08herewecome

My parents are exclusive members within the whole time share situation and are well known for thier consistency with visiting marina del sol in fuengirola!
For the last 5 years i have been brought up having my two week summer holiday here! And one elsewhere at christmas!

my parents have enjoyed thier stay every year within the san diego suites and have had no complaints at all! recently upon turning 20 i have take over the timeshare in my name, and last august still decided to visit marina del sol with my sister of 19!

we stayed in an average apartment number 540 and it was a beautiful two bedroomd airy apartment with a gorgeous downstairs terrace!
i agree that the zachary's area can be slightly 'common' and loud although at night it is really good fun amougst the youner ones even for me at my age!
We would start of with a few drinks thier before heading off to the main areas to go to the clubs. it spoilt it for me that the younger ages of 16,17 were getting served for alcohol without question. Yes it is abroad and they arent as strict, but when they are kissing and getting very drunk and loud, the bar staff should know better!

Very lovely place, no problems with cleanliness or staff, you would not regret visiting it!
perfect distance to the beach, 2 or 3 minutes from my apartment, everywhere extremely safe.
will be heading back next august cannot wait!!!!

Brilliant break!

by TripAdvisor Member WandererLondon

When I received a phonecall saying that we had 'won' a holiday I was sceptical to say the least! However we decided to go for it and I'm so glad that we did.

We were allocated Club La Costa in Marina Del Sol and had a brilliant week. The appartment was great and far exceeded expectations: fully equipped with a little private garden and just next to a beautiful pool. Really nice touches are the breakfast pack with eggs,juice, bread etc and washing tablets (both complimentary). Our appartment was cleaned, and towels changed daily.

We didn't use any of the restaurants on site however they seemed fine. A great idea is that you can get pizza delivered to your appartment! The supermarket onsite is nice but very small.

It's a very big resort and def worth hiring a car: you could probably manage without one but for getting around, to the supermarket , sightseeing etc it's well worth it.

The catch is the presentation! We made it clear from the outset that we weren't interested in buying the timeshare (which seemed really overpriced however I can understand that it may suit some people) Our rep was really nice: took us for breakfast and then a resort tour. His boss treated us with quite some distain when he realised that we weren't going to shell out 15k for the timeshare, however it was no worse than the hard sell that we'd experienced on the first presentation in UK. It took 3 hours (including breakfast) which was a small price to pay for a brilliant holiday in a great resort. For the rest of the stay we were left alone to enjoy ourselves.

I'd def go for it again given the opportunity! A great location and a lovely resort

outstanding

by TripAdvisor Member jackmann73

Just arrived back from one weeks stay at Marina del sol in Fuenguirola. We arrived at our appartment in the early hours of sunday 14 october 2007. The staff in the reception are very curteous and pleasent. I was a bit dubious of this holiday as i had recieved a phone call early on in the year to say i had won a holiday. It is not a free holiday but certaintly a cheap holiday for 4 of us. The appartments are clean and tidy we had a maid come in twice a week to change bed linen and towels etc. Our appartment was about 50 yards from the swimming pool which was a great hit with our kids. We ate in Zacherys once and the rest of the time we ate in El Ranchos as there is a playground for the kids. Met really nice people out which we have stayed in touch with. A small supermarket on site with plenty of stuff in. even english food. Nice welcome food pack for arrival in appartment include bread milk eggs biscuits jam butter. Went on a trip into the mountains with the Rally Rangers. 56 euros for a child and 72 euros for an adult. Pretty expensive but well worth the money. Lunch is included too. amazing to see what actually grows wild in the mountains.
One of the best holidays i have ever been on. would certaintly like to go back there again. I believe you can hire out the promotional appartments for £400 a week. Will try to see if we can book for next year.

Loved the apartment

by TripAdvisor Member JUDYCHALMERSCheshire

Just back from a week at Marina Del Sol.Arrived late at night to a very warm welcome.Porters took us straight to our apartment which was large,clean and had a fabulous view.The rest of the resort is ok but nothing special.A particularly nasty area is Zachary's.By day a bit Butlinsish with a dreadful lunch time menu comparable to a back street greasy spoon.The resorts lacks class in most areas.The California Beach resort a ten minute walk from M.D.S. is by far a better resort with a large pool area,smart looking restaurant(Safari)where you can get a lovely meal in a very nice atmosphere.The San Diego Suites nearby are also lovely.This is where the 'show apartments' are.You are taken there in order to seduce you into buying their product.The apartments are indeed beautiful but I suspect there are very few of these.The meeting is as you would imagine.A bit of a strain when you have no intention of signing up.We are trial members and were told within five minutes of our meeting that we would be better off 'up-grading',if not we have wasted our money as the full membership would give us so much more.And so it went on but you get the picture.We got a nice brecky out of it though!Moved on to spend our last two nights in Mijas town which is twenty minutes inland.Not to be missed.This is the Spain most of us know and love.Winding,cobbled streets with little shops and restaurants.Fabulous views down to the cost.Would have prefered a week here instead and will definitely return,but not to Marina Del Sol.

Great base

by TripAdvisor Member sleepy_8

We stayed for one week in the San Diego complex in the Marina Del Sol which comprised of a one bedroom apartment and an adjacent one bedroom suite for my wife, son (seven year old), my mother, and myself.

We were on a "free" one week holiday courtesy of SunBreaks. We were invited to listen to a presentation on Thursday 10.30am (they like to do the pitch over breakfast or lunch) but we managed to rearrange that for an earlier afternoon. The salesman was polite and courteous although naturally disappointed when we declined to sign up for the trial or full membership. We were left alone for the rest of our stay.

The apartment was spacious, clean and the welcome pack in the fridge (bread, butter, milk, orange) was much appreciated. There was a washing machine and dishwasher and some washing powder/dishwasher tablets were provided.

Reception staff were very friendly and helpful, able to give weather forecasts and advice on where to go to shop and places to visit. They even had internet terminals which costed one euro for eight minutes - enough time to check emails!

There were two swimming pools which were heated - slightly on the small side, but still very usable. We played minigolf which was a bit on the pricey side (better to buy a cheap putter and bring with you!)

We didn't eat at the hotel restaurants - "safari" looked tempting , as did the buffet at "zachary" on Thursday. Instead, we tended to eat out for lunch as we explored various places (Malaga, Marbella, Gibralter, Ronda) and cooked dinner ourselves. There is an excellent hypermarket in Fuengirola and the street market on Tuesday has a fantastic range of fresh fruit and vegetables.
The hypermarket had good range of fresh fish and meat.

We rented a car and the resort is very convenient for travelling east or west. (A word of caution as driving in Spain is quite challenging with an absence of slip roads to join/exit highways, tight car parks, and sharp turnoffs (besides driving on the other side of the road)).

Overall, a very pleasant accommodation and a big thumbs up.

Very nice as these places go, but watch the sales pressure!

by TripAdvisor Member redpanda30

We have just spent a week here at apartment 12 Marina del Sol.

Unfortunately the weather was rather terrible, so it hampered our stay a little. Anyway, we had a car, fortunately and so went up to Ronda, Competa, Gibralter, Nerja, Marbella, and afew other places, which was great fun. A car is definately the way forward, especially if you go out of season, being as it is a long walk into Fuengirola, you could well be bored otherwise.
Anyway, back to the apartment...
We had a very nice 2 bed apartment, large balcony with sea view (unfortunatley intercepted by a busy motorway), washing machine, dish washer, TV (with English channels), fridge freezer etc, basically anything you wished for. A nice touch was a welcome pack (which I can tell you does not get provided everywhere), which included water, bread, butter, jam and eggs.

The property is a good 2 mile walk into the centre of Fuengirola, which can be a bit of a drag, especially if the weather is not great. It is not the most scenic of walks either, as part of it is by the side of a motorway. Nonetheless, to save a good 12 Euros each way in a taxi, we walked this most nights without any problems! I do feel a resort of this size should offer a courtesy bus into Fuengirola though.
The weather was not warm enough to use the pools on site, but they looked nice. Facilities looked pretty good, though the supermarket for a place of this size is way too small.
If you are in a car I would recommend a trip to the local Lidls down the road.
We did not dine at any of the restaurants, but had a takeaway from Safari restaurant. I would not recommend this, it was very dry and bland, and by no means cheap. There is a 24 hour restaurant at the local filling station down the road for those who arrive late, it is full of locals, but the food is better than at Safari!

Prepare to be bored and frustrated at your "presentation". It takes AGES, nowhere near the 90 minutes quoted. We were there from 10-30 till 4pm, and it only got wrapped up there as I made it clear that I was getting annoyed, and wanted to go. Goodness knows how long they would have kept us othewise. They try to make out like there is no pressure, but believe me there is. These guys are heavily commission based, and it shows. They will normally bring their boss over when they start talking money towards the end, to add addtional pressure, it really is annoying! I would not recommend buying into Club la Costa, it is not all they would like it to appear, but timeshare is a different matter, too long to go into now!
Anyway, as far as these places go it is pretty good, with a reasonable location. The apartments seem spacious, and the staff are efficient (not the timeshare touts though!).
If you can stand the high pressure sales pitch, it is a cheap holiday, and you could do worse.

Perfect Spot for that much needed vacation!

by TripAdvisor Member Alatini21

Hello

We recently stayed at the Club La Costa group- Sierra Marina Hotel. It is in Malaga (although when you actually get there you realize its more towards Mijas than anything else.)

Lets just say that this place is one of the newer resorts that are being built in Spain. It is HUGE and when i say Huge, I mean that there is a huge resort and in it are all these various resort names. Sierra Marina, California, Beverly Hills, Marina Del Sol, etc etc.

It took us a while to find out which group of hotel rooms where ours. There is a lot of construction going on there right now and it will truly be nice when they are finished. After accidentally stopping at the wrong check in station, we found our way to the Sierra Marina side. We were given our keys and drove to our hotel block and room. We were quite pleased with what we saw. We had an ocean view 2 bedroom apartment that had a full kitchen and could sleep up to 6.

The kitchen had a washer (no dryer...thats what the line outside was for), a fridge and freezer, pots, plates, microwave, sinks etc. It was almost like we were at home! Also to my surprise, they had the fridge fully stocked with juice, milk, eggs, butter, a loaf of bread, some cookies, a huge bottle of distilled water and jam! I thought that was so sweet and it was NO extra charge! Talk about a nice welcome!

The view was beautiful from where we were and we could see the sunset every night over the water. The only thing is that the freeway is right in front so you get a little noise. Tennis courts are right outside and they have many pools and activities throughout the "campus" also. They even have a store that is very well priced for foods and things. We found the prices as good if not better than in town.

The place was spotless clean and the beds were not all too bad. Usually when you travel to europe you get a small bed, but we had a nice king size, full sofa bed with sofa too.

The distance to activities and things was also nice. There is a one lane each way freeway in front, so in order to change lanes you have to look for the "terremolino" signs and then exit those exits because they allow you to switch sides. We were close to Marbella which is beautiful. They have a variety of markets that go on daily so we went there to check out prices on clothing, and fresh fruits etc.

The drive to downtown Malaga is also a must. It is about 20 minutes from the hotel and there are so many restaurants and nightlife that goes on down there. There is a place called "Casa de la Antigua Guardia" which is a sherry place that has a long wooden table. They have all the casks in the background and they serve you shots of sherry for like 1 Euro and they make marks on the wooden table in front of you for what you order and/or have had! The place was amazing! They also had tapas that were available.

One thing to keep in mind with Spain is that almost any town outside of Malaga, Marbella etc that you sit down at the bar and have a drink will serve you FREE Tapas. They usually test and wait for Americans to order some because it is not commonly known that Tapas are usually free. Dont make this mistake. The more you end up drinking (2 + drinks) the more elaborate they get.

If you have any questions or want some more information on where we went or what there is to do on or around the hotel let me know!

Happy Travels!

Fantastic holiday!

by TripAdvisor Member Lorraine_Duke

Won a "free" holiday to club la costa. After all the small print its not exactly free but paid about £120 each per week so still a bargain so can't complain there. Arranged for a club la costa taxi to pick us up at the airport (cost 38 euros) who was there waiting when we left airport and took us straight to the Marina Del sol.

A porter then took us to our apartment which was a one bedroom apartment overlooking the swimming pool. Apartment was not exactly luxury but was more than adequate. Had bedroom, bathroom, living/kitchen area and a balcony overlooking the sea. Well equiped with washing machine, iron, ironing table and a safe. Both rooms had ceiling fans which came in handy on those hot nights. Living room had large sofa , sky TV and a radio and telephone.

The next day we had to have dinner with the rep. She took us to the Safari restaurant and we had a 3 course meal and several drinks which club la costa paid for. She then showed us around some "luxury" apartments and then went on to explain the cost. They want £14k down payment, £400 admin costs per year and for this you get one weeks free holiday per year. We obviously said no, and then she tried to sell us a trial 3 year package for £3955, again we said no and after a speech from the manager we were allowed to go (after 4 hours though!!) and were left alone for the rest of the holiday. cant complain though cos we ate and drunk enough to make it worth our while. The trick is to be firm though and just say no as one couple we met were with a ref from 10 til 5pm!!

The swimming pools were very good and there are about 13 in total so each pool is never too crowded. The gardens are kept immaculate and the resort itself is very pretty.

I would recommend to anyone going not to eat at the resort at all. We tried several restuarants and they were all very pricey and we did not enjoy one meal there. They charge 30 euro's for a breakfast and if you walk into fuengirola (takes 10 minutes) you can get a full english for 6 euros!! I have read other reviews that mention you have to walk along a motorway to get to Fuengirola, this is not true. All you need to do is cross the footbridge next to the BP garage and it is a lovely 10 minute walk along the beach front which even at night the beach is lit up and is very pretty. Taxi's charge 12 euros for this short journey which is a total rip off. If you dont like walking you can always get a bus that comes every 20 minutes for 1 euro..

Fuengirola has many restaurants to choose from along the beach front to a couple of roads in where there are about 100 all next to each other to choose from. Nightlife was fantastic too. We used to start off in the London Bar, then go to Pogs and finally onto Foreplay and then Tramps and then sometimes back to the London Bar.. stayed out most nights until 4am and even when we left they were all going strong. I thought it would be heaving with youngsters but there was a even amount of young and old which surprised me and you can find a quiet bar or a dance floor, whatever you fancy, its there.

We didn't like the beach much so only went once. There was no one in the sea which I found odd and when we did go in, the water had lots of debri floating so we mainly stayed by the pool.

We were very lucky and had very hot weather all week and I would strongly recommend this holiday to anyone else who wins one. For £110 its well worth it and we had a fantastic time.

Marina Del Sol, Fuengirola

by ucn83

My family and I are staying at the Marina Del Sol resort in Fuengirola in June. We are travelling with club la costa. Has anyone stayed at this accommodation? Also, what are the beaches like in Fuengirola?

Thank you!

RE: Marina Del Sol, Fuengirola

by tango_jd

Always worth checking the "Holidaysuncovered" web site

www.holidaysuncovered.com