Hostal Derby

San Juan de Dios 1 (Plaza de la Marina), Malaga, 29015, Spain

More about Hostal Derby

MALAGA

by Suzanne_M

"APRIL 3, 2002 - MALAGA / MARBELLA ACCOUNT"

Hello my dear friends,
I am presently in Malaga / Marbella. I arrived here from Cadiz late Easter Sunday afternoon. I wasn't supposed to stay here very much, but I was really tired for some reason and I got this really nice double room overlooking the port, on the 4th floor of the building.
That is why I have stayed 4 nights (including tonight). I have not done much sightseeing, except a hop-on-and-off bus tour. I met this girl from Marbella on the internet, and when she knew I was coming in this direction, she suggested that I go to Malaga first and that we should meet.
That is how I got to see Marbella a bit (she is from there). She also suggested that I go to La Ronda before heading over to Granada. It seems that the Ernest Hemingway story From WHom The Bell Tolls is
based on true events that happened there, so it is worth a visit and she told me it would only take about 3-4 hours or so. Moreover, since tomorrow is my birthday, after I finish touring La Ronda, there
is a good chance that I will head over to Marbella and meet her for lunch. I will try and choose this very posh restaurant and try and pretend and I am part of the jet-set!!! Maybe I will meet some rich guy, who knows! Or maybe Enrique Iglesias or even his father will be hanging around there at the same time!!! Then I will head over to Malaga to get my luggage and then I will take a bus to Granada. I will stay there until Sunday. She told me it is a great place to visit, full of history. I even bought this book The Tales Of The Alhambra. Then either late SUnday or early Monday, I will head over to Sevilla and stay there until
Friday. During that time, I will make a day-trip to Cordoba (she said that is all I really needed and it will save me the trouble of finding accomodation and carrying my luggage). Then on Friday I will head over to Madrid for the VT MEETING, where I will most probably at least spend one week.
I just got back from visiting this forteress up the hill as well as the castle. Now, I am need beer and tapas!
When I stopped over here, I thought about having my hair done, my nails done, having my clothes washed, etc., but since I "went with the flow", I never got around to it!!! But then again, I looked at myself in the mirror yesterday, and I thought: "I look gorgeous. I can wait a couple of days to have my hair color done."!!! So I think I will wait until I get to Madrid, where I believe I will have a better chance of getting myself understood! Even if it may cost me more!
It is really funny because my friend told me earlier that I do not look like a foreigner, with my red hair and all. She says that a lot of women around the Mediteranean area do the same thing. Well, I think it has become some kind of a "passport" for me. When I went on the "hop-on-and-off" bus tour, the bus drive did not even want to see my ticket as a proof that I had already bought it earlier that day.
I think he must have remembered my hair!!! Maybe I do not need to fix my color after all!!!
Transportation is actually fine. I have been using the bus since I arrived in Spain, except that when I go from Sevilla to Madrid, I will use the train because the bus ride is 6 hours long and I was told that the train ride is about half as long.
Personnally, I am glad Easter is over. Being alone in a very religious country is not an easy thing. Even back home, I never liked Easter very much because we never did much at home, and since Easter is a family type of affair, I felt kind of lonely and left out. BUT, I intend to catch up when I have my own family, whenever what happens!
Regarding email, I found this place in Malaga that is right around the corner from where I am staying (HOSTAL DERBY), so I am lucky. It is open from 10am to 11pm. I think that the other cities on my itinerary will have email handy as well, but it is not a garantee.
Two days ago, it rained a lot in late afternoon. But yesterday it was really hot and sunny. Today, it is still sunny, but on the chilly side. Just perfect for sightseeing!
So that's it for now!
Hasta luego de Malaga!
zuzu

"APRIL 9, 2002 - RONDA ACCOUNT"

Hello my dear friends,
I have just arrived yesterday in SEVILLA after having visited RONDA on Thursday April 4, and then going to GRANADA from Thursday evening to yesterday morning.
I was told that visiting RONDA would only require around 3-4 hours, but since it is such a nice place just to walk around in, I definitely suggest taking the whole day, even sleeping there one night would be a good idea. SO, that day (April 4, my birthday!) I checked out of HOSTAL DERBY in Malaga, but I left them my luggage for the day so I can visit RONDA more freely. I got onto the first bus from MALAGA to RONDA, i.e. 8h00. The only catch is that there are two bus lines going there and I did not know that one of them goes there directly while the other one makes several stops along the way. I ended up on the latter one, unfortunately. I therefore arrived in RONDA shortly before 11h00, so I figured I had enough time to have a bite to eat, go on the internet (there is one right around the corner from the bus station), and visit. I started walking along the cliff for the view and took several pictures along the way. Unfortunately, there was not much sun that day, so my pictures are not as spectacular as they could be. I then visited those castle and those mines. There was this big descent through rock all the way in between the two cliffs. There were even a couple of duckies just waiting for us to take pictures of them! Then I had to climb all this back up as it is the only way out of there! I did not think I was going to be doing any hiking that day!!! THen I continued following the instructions for the suggested walk in my book and I ended up finding this little path going downhill. I had to take it. It was nice and away from all that hustle and bustle of the "city". I then again had to go back up. I kind of enjoyed this workout (I felt my quads the next day. Great feeling!). I really miss it a lot.
As I mentioned before, you need a lot of time to enjoy RONDA and I did not plan proprely, especially since I had intended on taking a bus over to GRANADA that same night and I was worried about making the bus connections, and even more worried about finding a place to stay in GRANADA at such a late time of night. So I did not finish visiting all that I wanted to see since I had to rush to the bus station to buy my ticket to be on the bus of 16h00. It arrived in MALAGA at around 19h15 and I had just enough time to hop on a taxi, go to my hotel, get my luggage, return to the bus station, buy my ticket to GRANADA and hop on the bus of 20h00. We finally arrived in GRANADA at about 22h00 or so.
That's it for now,
Hasta luego de SEVILLA,
zuzu

Accomodation tips

by AussieMal

Can anyone recommend the best places to stay (hotels/hostels) in Malaga, Valencia and Barcelona for a double room. We don't want to spend more than 30 euros per night. Dorms in hostels would not be appropriate as my husband and I are travelling together. Thanks.

30 euros per person?

there is an option for 50 euros per nigh a doubel room (25 each) with www.bancotel.com (is hotels of 3-4 and 5 stars)

malaga has lost of hostels in the city center, but i am afraid i do not knwo them .... i only know a few in Marbella

by AussieMal

30 euros for the room not per person.

by Carmela71

in Malaga a friend (Suzanne_M vt name) got a double room for that price in the city center.. she liked for the views, but baths were to share...

I can ask her the name...

For valencia I would suggest to ask to Amelia40 or pginer they live there and maybe they can sugest you places .....

And for barcelona.. write in the barcelona forum by sure they will help you

by AussieMal

Yes please find out the name of the malaga hostel for me. Thanks

by Carmela71

HOSTAL DERBY let me looka dress and rest information

by Bernd_L

In Barcelona you can try the motel "Formule 1". It belongs to a french motel-chain.

Look up the following site:
www.hotelformule1.com

Bernd

by Carmela71

check here for more hostels and aprtments

HOSTAL DERBY MALAGA P**
San Juan de Dios street
Near to the Plaza de la Marina (harbour).
+ 34 952221301

looks this page for more information

hope this helps

carmen

by AussieMal

That looks quite good. Do you know if this is central ie walking distance to the town centre?

by Carmela71

is city center.... one minute from catedral....
from airport you can take a bus or train to both stations (they are very close) .. and from there a taxi or a bus.... walking from there is not too bad but sure half an hour.. depend on luggage...

by AussieMal

thank you very much. THe site doesn't indicate if I need to book ahead.

by Carmela71

febraury is not a busy month... i do not think you will ahve any trouble...

by aeroarce

in madrid you can try Echegaray street in huertas or Fuencarral or Hortaleza streets in Chueca, both have cheapie places and popular with backpackers. The three streets are very centrally located and easy walking to everywhere, just shop around and decide by yourself, at chueca maybe there is more offer.

Malaga

by Asi-G

cheap accomodation ? anyone ?

Re: Malaga

by guapohomme

hi Assaf, the Hostal Derby was OK. I had big room to my self yearB4 last. Easy to get a bus from there to bus station for the bus to Algerciras for ferry to Morocco. The journey there from Malaga was about two & half hours if I remember rightly. You pass thru expensive Marbella and then get a view of Gibraltar nice!!
Any further info on Malaga mail me- good luck!

Comments