Trinidad Grund 13, Malaga, Costa del Sol, 29001, Spain

Booking.com Hotels.com Travelocity

• leics's Profile Photo

Clean, convenient, comfortable........

....and excellent value, imo.

Hotel Sur is on the edge of Malaga's historical heart, a couple of minutes' walk from the airport bus stop, about 5 minutes' from Malaga Centra Cercanias station, maybe 15 to the Renfe and bus stations. It's one 'block' back from the busy Alameda Principal, on a street which has barely any traffic, so it should be a quiet spot (unfortunately building work nearby caused a bit of noise when I visited). And it's absolutely perfect for exploring Malaga on foot because shops, bars, cafes, restaurants and all the main historical sights are within just a few minutes' walk.

Rooms are clean and simple, with marble flooring. My room was at the rear, with TV, ample storage and a large bathroom complete with tub (and lots of hot water). I was very pleased that the hotel heating worked well (it was chilly when I visited) but can only assume that the air con works equally well. Wifi access is free and efficient, and there's a lift.

The hotel offers breakfast at a cost of 4.50 euro. It's brought to the hotel breakfast room from the tiny cafe directly opposite. Coffee or tea, a slice of toasted bread with tomato and/or ham and/or cheese, fresh orange juice and a pastry. You could probably get much the same for a euro or so less in a cafe somewhere else but I felt it offered good value for those of us who like to have a coffee before we properly start the day. :-)

Hotel staff were courteous and pleasant, with good English.

I was very pleased indeed with this hotel. The rate (in February) seemed very fair for what it offered and, especially, for its location. I also felt it was a safe area for the solo female traveller, and that always matters.

Recommended if you are looking for a clean, simple and central base in Malaga.

Directions: Trinidad Grund lies one 'block' to the south of Alameda Principal. From the airport take the Cercanias to Malaga Centro or the airport bus A to Alameda Principal-Centro stop.

• Not Great!

I just came back from a 1 night stay at the Hotel Sur.
    Good: The hotel was centrally located within walking distance from some of the main attractions & there was a lot of restaurants and tapas bars nearby. The room was average, clean and of a fairly good size. There was no hair dryer and the shower head was small. Hotel itself was well kept: it was clean and tidy
    Rooms are .

Bad: Our Room (327) had a small window that looked into some construction area. The building next door is being renovated so be ready for drilling and hammering. The staff at reception were not helpful at all, 2 friends came to pick us in the evening and they made them wait for us outside. My friend came back in the early morning and they didn’t want to let him in (they said it was because the room was at my name, but they took his details to in the check-in!). Hotel is located in a narrow pedastrian street, which is doggy at night, do NOT walk alone at night!

Next to the Hotel is the crumbling Pension Costa Rica, with noisy drunk guest that spent the night throwing bottles through the window!

Overall, I think this hotel was adequate (clean room with air conditioning) but I don't think I'll stay there again.

Directions: centrally located within walking distance from some of the main attractions & there was a lot of restaurants and tapas bars nearby

• LimaTwo's Profile Photo

Good Value, Basic **star Hotel

Two Star. Exterior does not reflect the newly (2008) decorated and spotlessly clean interior. H24 desk staff polite and English Speaking. The entrance is in a quiet pedestrian street. My single room with en suite was basic but certainly adequate and very clean. But, it was at the back and was nosy due to building site during the day (the whole of Malaga seems to be a building site, so that can't detract from this level city-centre hotel). Air Conditioning wasn't working and it took a couple of attempts to discover that it isn't turned on 'till "summer" (25+ deg in April, but it wasn't uncomfortable inside once I had acclimatised from UK weather!). Unfortunately the heating was also jammed on - this was fixed the day that I told them, without any fuss - which I thought was impressive.
    Some noise from (Spanish?) guests returning after late night weekend revelry wasn't helped by the tiled corridors, but it wasn't too bad, and, when in Spain ..... !
    A good 15 min walk from bus and train stations when you know the way - probably worth a taxi-ride the first time and with luggage, but I managed to walk.
    Posted off peak single rate was E42, but I booked through https://www.ratestogo.com/ for E32.
    Summary: Very clean basic **star hotel very close to Malaga attractions.

Directions: Just off the edge of the main tourist district, close to the Plaza de la Marina. Close to Malaga attractions and beach, a full 15 mins walk from main bus and train stations.

• iNorv9's Profile Photo

Clean, simple and near el Centro

The best part of the Hotel Sur was the location. Real close to the public bus stop coming from the airport, as within walking distance of most of the sights, museums and "el centro". The staff was friendly and even let me store my luggage for a couple hours after checking out. The rooms themselves were clean though very barebones.

Bottom-line: A good budget option.

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Hotel Sur

Suprisingly nice 2 star hotel centrally located in Malaga, about 10 minutes walk from the (local) train station.

Our room was big and clean, with all mod cons. Staff were friendly.

Unique Quality: A bit of a bargain

Directions: Walk for 10 minutes, straight from the main door of the station. When you can see the river, cross it and follow the main avenue (Alameda Principal) until Cordoba Street corner. Hotel is 50 metres down Cordoba Street.

More about Hotel Sur

Quite Possibly Malaga's Ugliest Hotel

by Birgie about Hotel Sur

A few minutes after we checked into Hotel Sur my mother, my daughter and I were rolling on the sorry excuses for beds in our "triple" laughing at a crack my mom made about the room looking like the dorm in a women's prison. Talk about slumming! But seriously folks we were paying over $150 a night there! So it was actually quite sad. I must say that the man downstairs in reception was very professional, I just felt sorry for him for having to represent that hotel! Unique???? Unique??? ha ha ha!! It was unique alright! It was something we will be laughing about for years to come. I have a "chungo" list and a "guay" list I make when I come to Spain, this hotel is on our chungo list. Well, if you like being crammed into a teensy room with no personality at all and creaky little cot beds and the ugliest view in all of Malaga, this is the place for you! I beg of you....PLEASE don't go there unless it's a practical joke on a relative or something!

best Malaga accomm for access to airport

by shunter151

Hello
I am flying from Malaga at 1320 on Saturday.
Can anyone advise me on good hostel or pensione with good access to the airport
Thanks heaps

by cachaseiro

There is a whole line of cheap hostales right outside Malaga train station.
From the train station you have a little local train that takes just 20 minutes to the airport.

by WomBatt

Malaga I do not find cheap, hostale or pensione wise.

As cachasiero above, BUT I would not recommend a couple of those opposite the station if more in your party than yourself, as there may be rough clientele (and as well, the Hispanidad is a little 'rough' decoratively).

Why not stay downtown where there is life nearby and take the train (about 18 minutes to the airport every 30 minutes)from the Alameda Principal or the express bus? I can recommend at least the Hotel Sur in this vicinity.

by cachaseiro

I stayed at one of the hostales across the station myself 2 months ago and i thought it was ok.
As mentioned Malaga is not the cheapest town for accomodation, but i found a room that was ok for 40 euros and i felt quite safe there.
It is not a place to spend a holiday, but for a nights accomodation before leaving i think it´s ok.

by KakapoTheParrot

We got stuck in Malaga for 4 days thanks to the Islandic volcanic erruption this year before we got the bus home. Because Monarch refused us any help (they never did pay us anything) we had to find our own place to stay which was easily accessible from the airport. We found a taxi to a nearby hotel added far too much to the cost and switched to the Hotel Don Paco, which is 2 minutes walk from the railways station in Malaga. The train is a cheap, short journey to the airport. The hotel was fine and would have been a pleasure to stay in if our circumstances had been different.

Comments