Gran Hotel Guadalpin Marbella Spa

Blvd. Principe Alfonso de Hohenlohe, C.N. 340, km 179, Marbella, Costa del Sol, 29600, Spain

Gran Hotel Guadalpin Marbella & Spa
Priceline.com Booking.com eDreams

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• SabrinaSummerville's Profile Photo

Central Five Star Property

Following a successful stay at the sister hotel in Puerto Banus two years ago, we decided to give this Marbella flagship a visit for two weeks in May/June 2009.

The first thing that struck me was the limited amount of ground space that the hotel occupies - in other words, apart from a large swimming pool and plentiful solarium area, the hotel has no grounds. That saying, the rear boundary is heavily planted with tropical foliage which does give it a restful feeling.

The rooms are lovely - spacious and with a completely seperate fully fitted kitchen, a seperate lounge/dining room, and huge balconies on even the smallest rooms. The kitchen in the hotel room is a novel idea and was very welcome to us. It was way too hot to have a full lunch every day, so we would buy pate, crackers, cheese, etc in one of the three local supermarkets and store them in the fridge together with our own cool drinks. Then at about 4.30pm each day we would retire to our balcony and enjoy a wonderful picnic. It saved a lot of money overall.

Some rooms have hot tubs, with the penthouse rooms attracting higher rates and being much in demand. My personal experience is that the rooftop hot tubs and solariums are inclined to be too hot to be comfortable. Try a hot tub room on a lower floor.

The hotel is immaculately clean and the cleaning staff were very accomodating with supplies and extra towels.

Food-wise it was nothing special. We booked half board in the Auralia restaurant, but it was way too monotonous for two weeks and I would not book it again. Lunch food was of good quality, though again nothing special.

I was terribly disappointed to see that the renowned Mesana restaurant was closed with no explanation and no notice of when it would re-open.

The Gourmet Corner is a lovely little spot to come for a light tapas lunch or a decent brandy.

The hotel novelty shop stocks some light beachwear and the international newspapers/magazines.

Unique Quality: The hotel staff are just fabulous - so efficient, and that goes from before I even made our booking and was just enquiring. They came back by return with replies to emails and made great recommendations for restaurants etc.

They were very fair in giving advice - for example, the told us that it would be cheaper for us to get a taxi to the airport rather than hiring the hotel car. This saved us about €60. Fair play to them.

Overall, this hotel represents great value for money.

Directions: Situated in the middle of Marbella's upmarket "Golden Mile" residential area.

• SHEER LUXURY

We stayed myself and 5 girlfriends at the hotel Guadalpin for 3 nights end of March ,we could not fault the hotel from the 3 bed suite to the staff ,everything was terrific.
    I had read a few reviews on unhelpfull staff ,well we found quite the opposite anything we asked for was no problem. If I was to nit pick the lunchtime waiter was a little slow taking our order but apart from that the staff were great.
    We did need to get taxis 8- 10 euros into Puerto Banus quite a lot but then we will insist on wearing high heels.
    For the price we paid it was very good value for money.
    Will deffinitly be back.

Unique Quality: The 3 bed suite was great the patio was huge with 2 seatees and a small table for drinks then a dining table with chairs for lunch.
    The kitchen had what was needed, yes It was strange that there was no kettle. but after ringing reception one was brought to our room.
    Apart from the odd child crying on the balcony ,the hotel was very quiet, I think we were the only ones making any noice (sorry).
    The breakfast was very good with a very nice selection of fresh fruit ,cooked breakfast, and anything else you would require for breakfast was there.
    The heated pool was a bonus it's huge and deep.
    Try the cakes for afternoon tea small ones 1 euro each.
    We had the use of the Spa with our offer and let me tell you after 3 nts of dancing till dawn it was most appriciated
    All in All a superb Hotel.

Directions: Main drag from Marbella to Peurto Banus (Golden Mile)

More about Gran Hotel Guadalpin Marbella Spa

Live the Life of Luxury

by TripAdvisor Member NCG

(February 12 - 19th 2005) Fabulous Hotel with luxurious rooms (if a little smaller than expected). We upgraded to a deluxe suite on the top floor which included a huge second balcony reached via a spiral staircase, with dining table and chairs, sun loungers and jacuzzi. The narrow spiral staircase made accessability a little awkward and with hindsight the superior suite would have been better. The jacuzzi was fun to have but we were unable to control the temperature and it had turned rather cold by the 3rd day. The outdoor pool was unbearably cold even for the hardy. We chose the hotel for the indoor pool (as it was February), however there was no prior warning that the children (aged 15 and 12) would not be allowed to use it, minimum age being 18, and in any event it cost 25 euros each to use. The kitchen is well equipped (includes washer/drier and dishwasher) so we had breakfast in our room (on balcony) rather than pay 20euros plus tax (each) in the hotel restaurant. However do pack a few dishwasher tablets as none are provided. We highly recommend the on site hairdresser (best blow dry ever experienced), however neither the stylist, nor his assistant spoke any English so a phrasebook would be handy! Restaurants were very pricey so thanks to previous reviewers for recommended outside restaurants - we thoroughly enjoyed Tony Dalis and Villa Tiberio. There is also a fabulous Lebanese restaurant called L'Oriental on the main road near Puerto Banus. The staff at the hotel were very friendly and helpful and on a metal strip in the bathroom falling on my head on the first day we received champagne, strawberries and chocolates by way of an apology! The weather was sunny and warm all week (about 18c) but with a chilly wind.

Great stay in February

by TripAdvisor Member Eiregirl

We stayed at the Gualdalpin based mostly on Trip Advisor recommendations. We weren't disappointed.
After getting such a great deal on Expedia, we were expecting the room to be a one bedroom standard affair. What we found far exceeded our expectations. The suite was very spacious with a furnished balcony, two full bathrooms, two bedrooms and a well-appointed kitchen. The pool area was great (though too cold to use) and the walk to the beach very reasonable.
The best part, however, was the generous staff. We have two young children (4 & 6 years old) and I'd say that the Gualdalpin was one of the more accomodating hotels we're ever stayed in when it came to the kids. We also made use of the great gym and the breakfast buffet is excellent ...so treat yourself at least once.
Our only complaint was about the beds. No kidding, after surveying the five-star splendor of the suite, we were amazed by the rock-hard slab of a mattress provided in the bedrooms. The last time I slept on a bed like that, I was in a mangy youth hostel, and I'm no delicate flower when it comes to choosing a place to sleep! One night was no problem, but we were well ready to head home and get a good night's sleep after a week. It just doesn't fit the rest of the hotel and is the only reason I can't say that our trip was really 'excellent'.

Let down by some of the staff

by TripAdvisor Member barrowboy35

Stayed here for 6 nights in May 2005. We had upgraded to a two bedroomed and requested a sea view but didn't get one. Offered a similar room but with jacuzzi for extra money - after inspection decided to stay where we were as the view was no better and it was noisier.

There was plenty of space in the accomodation, but the room was very rarely cleaned before 4.30 p.m. which is unusual in a hotel of this standard. Sometimes they were knocking on the door to turn down the sheets when the cleaner had only just left. What is the point?

The real downside came at breakfast on the second day when a cup was placed on the table, and it was dirty at the top of the cup where one drinks. When this was pointed out to the waitress she took it away, flounced off as though it was our fault and brought another which she slammed down without a word of apology.

My wife then discovered that her knife which had been recently put down in front of her had food stains on it.

This is just not good enough for a 5 star hotel.

After that we found a great cafe on the sea front which served a great fresh English breakfast for 6 Euros, 14 Euros cheaper that the hotel!

The sea front promenade is great for strolling and stretches for miles. In the evening we went into the Old Town. Marvellous restarants there - lots to choose from. We had a great meal at the Orange Tree just off the square - so good we went back the next night and were treated like old friends. Great place - friendly staff - and brilliant grub - they also have an early starters menu at reduced price early evening - smaller choice than the full menu, but still plenty to choose from - 2 courses 18 Euros - 3 courses 22. Excellent value.

Overall a good stay with most of the hotel staff being great but just let down by some of the restaurant staff. I wouldn't say they were snobbish, but they did seem to relish serving those who turned up for breakfast in designer clothes, with the humble tourist coming a poor second.

We certainly weren't made to feel special, that's for certain.

5 Star Wannabe...

by TripAdvisor Member TravelLovinMan

The Gaudalpin is an interesting hotel. Based on its list of amenities, it should be a 5 star hotel. But in no way does it feel, look or operate as such. It has nice rooms – though very much on the choppy side (we had an executive suite that included a small, separate kitchenette complete with a compact washer and dryer. Though a nice option, it meant having a very modest-to-small bed and bath area). We did have a roof-top hot tub that we used every evening – a huge plus. We also used the spa for a massage and facial. Very nice. We tried using the workout facilities, but they were so lacking in equipment to the point of being unusable. Pool area is okay, but could really be spruced up quite a bit (dead plants need to go). Ditto for the bar area. There is nothing to draw you in, and since there is no lobby per se, the hotel seems to have no focal point (you get the feeling that the architect of this hotel specializes in convention centers, not hotels. If you want a quaint hotel, this isn’t it. If you like a meandering sprawl, book now). We did eat at the restaurant once, but it was pricey, the food was not so good, and the service was slow, slow, slow. We loved Marbella and will definitely return. Would even stay at this hotel again if we can get a good deal. I would recommend this hotel to others – but take your expectations down a notch. I read all of the 5 star comments on TripAdvisor and was really disappointed upon arrival.

5 star luxury at a 4 star price.

by TripAdvisor Member Photopedia

My wife and I stayed here on a short midweek break as a result of TripAdvisor reviews. We were not disappointed.
The hotel is fresh and new...modern, bright and smart. The receptionist greeted us warmly and immediately gave us a personal tour of the hotel. Beat that if you can!
We booked a junior suite which gave us a lot of extra space including a separate sitting room and kitchenette. Well worth the extra £30 per night when compared with a standard double room.
This is not a large hotel which means that there is none of that frenetic atmosphere one often sees with a bigger establishment.
The "in-house" restaurants are OK but somewhat lacking in atmosphere. Do ask the concierge to book you dinner in the Villa Tiberio which is just a 5 minute walk towards Puerto Banus. Dining al fresco in this superb Italian restaurant was an experience to remember.

Asking for info about Gran Hotel Guadalpin

by sunny_smile

Hey Guys,

I am a student majoring in Hospitality Management and for my Convention Management Class I need to prepare a project that requires to organize a corporate retreat/incentive for 42 people. I chose Marbella as the destination for my group and The Gran Hotel Guadalpin for their acomodation.
I would really appreciate if you could send me information about their group rates, the rates for renting their meeting facilities, including renting AVs and having coffee breaks in between.
I need to prepare a detailed cost list with all the costs broken down and I had trouble finding all that imformation on the hotels' website. I really hope that you can help me.

Thank you so much in advance.

I am looking forward to hear from you.

Best regards,

iliyana

Re: Asking for info about Gran Hotel Guadalpin

by Raquero

This is the website, why dont you email them or ring them up they are bound to speak English.

Re: Asking for info about Gran Hotel Guadalpin

by shezzx

You should find all you need on their website.

www.granhotelguadalpin.com