Las Chapas Palacio del Sol Marbella

Booking.com Hotelsclick.com Otel.com

Satisfaction Terrible

Costs 28% less but rated 28% lower than other 3.5 star hotels

• Old and cheap hotel

The Las Chapas is a very old hotel which needs some renovation. Located directly at the motorway to Marbella and opposite the Hotel Don Carlos.
    The rooms are without any luxury and I am happy that we did not had to use the Airconditioning, because it looked quite noisy.
    The only positive thing is that the beach about 1 km away is really nice and close to the Nikki Beach Club.

Do not have breakfast at the Las Chapas it is not eatable.

Only recommended if you have your own car.

More about Las Chapas Palacio del Sol Marbella

Great stay at Las Chapas

by TripAdvisor Member superram

Having read other reports we were not sure what to expect of Las Chapas.On arrival the reception staff were very helpful,and spoke excellent English.The rooms are basic,but when it's just a base I don't think you need any more.
The breakfast was also pretty basic,which is what is stopping me scoring this hotel higher.I would say you needed a car if you were stopping here,we were 4 adults and got out and about every day.If that's what you want to do Las Chapas is a perfect venue,right on the side of the main road,about an hour from Malga,and going the other way,an hour from Gibraltar.
The staff we came into contact with were very helpful,all spoke good English and tried their hardest to help you.Even to the point of when we asked to keep the rooms on as we were not leaving until early evening,we were able to do so without being charged.
Can't say enough good things about this hotel,suffice to say we will be making a return visit.

Las Chapas really is Las Crapas

Myself and my family booked a holiday to Las Chapas with Airtours in July this year. It really was a holiday from hell as a result of being placed in Las Chapas. The hotel is in the middle of a motorway, 10km from Marbella, you have to cross the motorway and a roundabout to get to the beach!
The food in the hotel is not cooked properly, usually served cold, the bar is never open, and the pool is filthy!
The staff are not very helpful, and the entertainment is minimal, a bit of bingo if you are lucky!
All of the Airtour's tourists with us requested to change accommodation, and we all eventually did, but having to pay upto 300 Euros!
Las Chapas had already ruined half our holiday!
My advice to anyone who is thinking of going there, is DON'T!
There is nothing to do, no-where to go, and absolutely no nitelife! This hotel is dead, it really does remind you of Fawlty Towers!

Not so bad

by TripAdvisor Member PortugalRosa

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Las Chapas in May 2003. After reading all these reviews we were afraid of what we were going to find. It wasn't that bad at all. Of course, to stay at this hotel you need a car, otherwise all the good things (beach, bars and shops) are too far away. Considering the price we pay to full board in seven days for two persons (300???) its REALLY , REALLY CHEAP.
We will stay there again.

Reduced sentence for good behaviour

Grounds, room and staff pleasant but unless you are looking for poor food in a spanish retirement home avoid. The area inspires you to use the local transportation and discover the rest of the coast. I got out after 5 days.

I have spent many weekends in Marbella and would advise any visitors to the costa del sol to go self catering and find ways to reduce cost. Whether it be Marbella or Benalmedena you can always get a full breakfast for 5 euros. I appreciate that this may not be adventurous, but it does allow you to then spend some money on nicer meals as required.

Car Hire Thoroughly Recommended

I booked this hotel as a late deal via Airtours for "accommodation allocated on arrival". If I had known that I would end up in a relatively remote (remote by the Costa del Sol's standards) location I wouldn't have bothered. The hotel's standards of hygiene, service and quality were just about ok but being situated right along side the main arterial expressway which had to be negotiated to get to the beach was just too much. There were a couple of bars nearby but that was about it. The only option was the bus (which didn't run late) or hire a car and escape the compound. We hired a car!
This hotel is fine if all you want to do is laze by the pool and the hotel restaurant.

nightmare at la chapas

i started my holiday on the sunday night i was travelling alone so the holiday was costing a small fortune, i caught my plane on time so everything was going fine, until i got to malaga airport it was a total shambles reps hadnt really a clue i was with airtours, they handed or should i say slaped a envelope in to my and and told me to get on the bus so i did as i was told, all of a sudden there was no rep going on the bus with us and that annoyed me because there was a lot of elderly people on the bus and by this time we were into the small hours of the morning, so the bus took off and was stopping at the various hotels the driver would stop and say the name of the hotel no one could make a word out he was saying, we would get off the bus he would through our cases on the ground he would get back in his bus and drive off leaving us standing so thats another black mark against airtours in my book asa they should be seeing elderly people into the reception of the hotel at least, now about the hotel i got to the reception told the spaniard my name he had bother with that then he tried to tell me that i was with someone else the bother i had explaining that i was alone, so he gave me a key told me 3rd floor the lift wasnt working so up the stairs i go only to discover my room was on the 1st floor, so i got my room only to find 3 beds in my room one had the springs comeing through mattress another bed had a base tied together with string so the last bed i tried i had to sleep in the mattress was to short for the bed, so i get up in the morning and go down stairs for bf and everything was cold the bacon if you want to call it that had more fat on it than anything else the food at this hotel is totally disgusting i was half board i ate there the 1st day after that know way was i trying it again, waiters were rude you also have to watch your change at the bar that is if you can get served as i found i had to walk through to reception to get them to get some1 from the kitchen to serve me, there is no entertainment at this hotel except for bingo outside of hotel there is a road like a motor way you just cant cross it this hotel is the worst ever please dont go there so if this is the standard of hotel that airtours are puting there guests in they certainly arent careing about the people that are going on holiday i would also like to point out that this hotel has been on the tv programme about being one of the holidays from hell ill go now hope you go elsewhere. thanks

Holiday from Hell July 1984 (Yes 1984 and not 1999 as above)

Beautiful location for an absolutely horrendous hotel. We are so glad to see that the descriptions of the hotel standards are still rating 0 on the scale. When we stayed there in 1984 the rooms were disgusting, the food was disgusting, the pool was disgusting and only the weather saved the day for us. At that time an underpass was under construction and therefore you had to cross the road to get to the beach (no bridge) The second night we were there a girl was killed outside the hotel trying to cross the road. We missed the best meal of the holiday on the only night we ate out in a local restaurant - Beefburger! That was the standard of the food back then and by the sound of things it has not improved at all - even the rock hard rolls seem to still be on the menu. Without a doubt the worst hotel we have ever stayed in.

Horrific

by TripAdvisor Member BeckyIreland

Myself and my boyfriend stayed here in September 2004 and were disgusted by the hotel. It is so run-down and awful, do not stay here.
The hotel is like a ghost town, way too big for the amount of people staying there.
The pool was so dirty we could not use it. The rooms were very small, and so noisy, every time someone used the bathroom above us we could here them.
Breakfast was included but it was disgusting, avoid at all costs.
The location is good as it is near the beautiful Elviria beach, BUT there is plenty of accomodation closer than it. To get to the beach you have to cross a very large motorway which is very very busy. There is a bridge, but it really is a bit of a walk, and I imagine would be hard if you had small kids etc.
It is near Cabopino so that is nice, but you could stay in way better and cheaper places. I was so dissapointed.

no problems

just returned from a 1week stay, the hotel was very clean and the grounds were immaculate.the food was average but cooked well.this hotel is not as bad as people state,i had a car but used busses every day as there is a bus stop outside and run every 10 mins from marbella-fungurola from 7am to 10.30pm,cost was 1euro51 to fungurola and 1euro 12 to marbella.a very short walk there is a supermarket,chemist, bars, and a couple of resturants including two chinese + 1 indian plus a bank.
hotel staff were friendly,rooms were basic.the pool was over looked by many trees so very shady.
the road outside the hotel is a duelcarridgeway but runs from malaga-marbella and beyond so every hotel not beach side is in the same situation but there are many walkways so there is no need to cross the busy road.
elviria beach is very nice and will take aprox 20mins walk,there is a very steep hill so after a hard days sun bathing the hill is very exausting.
over all the hotel was more than ok

Las Chapas BeachLas Chapas Beach

Restaurante Argentino

Hi everybody,
does anybody happen to know a very good restaurante argentino in the area of Marbella-Puerto Banus-Estepona? I might be back next month, and I'd love to enjoy real meat from Argentina and dulce de leche as dessert! Thank You

by Maurizioago

Dai un'occhiata alla pagina di Marbella di Carmela76. Credo si chiami così la VTer. Lei vive a Marbella. Oppure scrivile.

Ciao!

Grazie mille :)

by Maurizioago

Prego.

by Carmela71

We just been in one last weekend. it is on the beach at Marbella and the owners are from Argentina, I think it is called El Fogon de Laura, next restaurante La Red, at the beach promenade.
Also I used to go to one called El Tanguito in Marbella Old town, but I am not sure they were Argentinan the owners, sure about the meat, but I do not remember about the Dulce de leche

there are more places but as restaurants change here so quickly, I am not sure if there will be still open

Hope this helps
thanks Maurizio :-)

by IMC

There is also a well known one called Tango - it is good but very busy so you will need to make a reservation. And expect it to be full!!!

On the eastern side of Marbella (Las Chapas) there is a place called El Rancho.

Comments