Villa Flamenca

leics's Profile Photo

A much-loved hotel

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 7, 2014

The Hotel Villa Flamenca is in a residential area of Nerja, about 10 minutes walk to
the heart of the town, the same to the 'bus station' (really just a couple of laybys) and less than 5 minutes walk to the rather nice Burriana beach with lots of restaurants, bars and cafes (quite a steep hill on the way back, but not in any way excessive).

I stayed in this hotel over New Year 2013/14 because I took a ....very rare..package holiday. It appealed to me because it clearly was not a 'resort' hotel, and because the reviews I read continually mentioned how friendly and relaxed it was.

They were right. Many of the other guests when I was there had been visiting for years...in some cases decades. They knew the staff, and the staff knew them..because many of them too have been working at the hotel for many, many years. Many local ex-pat Nerja residents also treated it as their 'local', paying a substantial sum to attend the New Year's Eve gala dinner ( a superb feast which is documented in my Nerja travelogues).

The hotel is built in typical Spanish style, with an interior 'patio' (courtyard) with water feature. The lounge, dining room, bar, entertainment rooms and bedrooms run around that central courtyard in two main wings with a newer annex attached (bedrooms and a function room, used for weddings, special occasions and so on). My room faced the narrow road (quiet when I visited and, as it's a residential area, I think it's probably fairly quiet all year round) and had a superb view of the mountains, as well as a sideways glimpse of the sea and sunrise (lovely).

Admittedly, the hotel needs some TLC in parts. The corridor carpets are well-worn (I believe they are to be replaced early this year) and some of the rooms probably need a lick of paint and a tidy-up. But my ensuite room was comfortable enough, with twin beds, efficient heating (so the air con will be equally efficient), a bathtub and shower attachment, ample storage space and a balcony big enough for table and two chairs (with balcony light, which was much appreciated for my evening/early morning reading). There was a good safe, big enough for my netbook, although a small payment is necessary in order to get the key.

Other rooms overlook the pool area and, personally, I'd want to avoid these. Not only are they more likely to be noisy (from the bar and the pool) but the balconies are overlooked by anyone in the pool area. I preferred the privacy of my street-facing balcony, because there were few pedestrians and those who passed by didn't tend to look up....and the houses and flats directly opposite were mostly holiday homes, and thus unoccupied.

My deal included breakfast and evening meal and I was pleased with the variety and quality of food on offer for both. Hot foods were provided for those who wanted a 'full English' but I preferred the fresh rolls, preserves and wonderful Spanish extras such as the lard with spiced minced pork (not as gross as it sounds...try it!). Evening dishes varied through the week, always including meat and fish as main courses and always with a variety of salads and vegetables. A full vegetarian menu is on offer if booked the day before. The only minor quibble i have is that coffee came from a machine: I'd much prefer proper coffee, but the machine coffee was perfectly ok.

There's a lift, and a pool, sunloungers and tables outside, a comfortable lounge with a fireplace (much appreciated in the chillier evenings) and cabinets of books, which could be taken for a small donation to a local charity. I didn't take any, but I did donate the 3 books I completed during my stay. There's a small snooker table, bikes for hire and table tennis as well as nightly entertainment (including karaoke). I didn't stay up late enough to see any of it, although I watched a bit of the weekly flamenco display and was much impressed.

The staff, from cleaners to reception to serving staff, were all very pleasant and helpful, and all have excellent English (not surprising in Nerja).

All in all, I was pleased with my stay. I'd choose this hotel if I was booking independently not least because it's location is so convenient and its rates, certainly out of season, are very reasonable. You can find it on www.booking.com as well as on various other agency websites, or book on the hotel website below.

Excellent value for a 3 Star Hotel; Nice Food

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 15, 2011

The Villa Flamenca Hotel is a 3 star hotel in a quiet residential area of Nerja. On the downside the décor is rather tired looking, the rooms are small and badly sound proofed. However everything else is very positive. We found the buffet style meals both breakfast and dinner to be excellent with the exception of the stodgy vegetables.The staff were welcomes and friendly and Michael on reception was exceptional. There is a pleasant swimming pool with free sunbeds and a small bar reasonably priced and live entertainment 5 nights a week. The prices of accommodation at this hotel are cheaper than most hotels in the resort and are excellent value. Best for couples rather than families.

Unique Quality: If you want the afternoon sunshine request a room overlooking the pool if you want a view get a room overlooking the road.

Nearby Villa Flamenca

Villa Flamenca

• Hotel Flamenca

Address: Andalucia 1, Urbanizacion Nueva Nerja, Nerja, Costa del Sol, 29780, Spain

5 Photos of Villa Flamenca

• Room Service
  • Continental Breakfast
  • Bar / Lounge

Nerja Travel Forum

Need advice about Nerja, Spain? Visit the Travel Forum for Nerja and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Nerja hotel reviews

Up in the hills......
Iglesias El Salvador
Playa Burriana
Things to Do
The main drag.....and a tiny bit of history.
Things to Do
Wander the old town streets
Museo de Nerja.......hmmmm..........
Ermita de (Nuestra Senora de) Las Angustias
PANORAMIC SEA VIEWS
CUEVA DE NERJA - NERJA CAVES
quad biking
Play Bridge
Check your bill!!!
Restaurants
Messing about with boats at marina del Este
In Las Alpujarras
Off The Beaten Path
The old coast road to cerro Gordo
Shame About the Pool Table; Pub Grub
Life Adventure: Jeep tour & mountain walk in Nerja
Things to Do
Donkey refuge in a picturesque village
Scuba diving with Barny
Sunshine Radio International. 99.1 fm
Fabulous!
Malaga - Nerja Transportation
Transportation
Dont forget to visit Frigiliana
Off The Beaten Path
One of our favourite dining spots in Andalusia
Taxi from Malaga Airport to Nerja
Transportation
Try to enjoy the sea too - even in winter!
Things to Do
A great family restaurant in Nerja
Something different!
Eating out in Nerja
Restaurants
Off the beaten track - but what a view!