Villa Flamenca

Orbitz.com Booking.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• leics's Profile Photo

A much-loved hotel

The Hotel Villa Flamenca is in a residential area of Nerja, about 10 minutes walk to
    the heart of the town, the same to the 'bus station' (really just a couple of laybys) and less than 5 minutes walk to the rather nice Burriana beach with lots of restaurants, bars and cafes (quite a steep hill on the way back, but not in any way excessive).

I stayed in this hotel over New Year 2013/14 because I took a ....very rare..package holiday. It appealed to me because it clearly was not a 'resort' hotel, and because the reviews I read continually mentioned how friendly and relaxed it was.

They were right. Many of the other guests when I was there had been visiting for years...in some cases decades. They knew the staff, and the staff knew them..because many of them too have been working at the hotel for many, many years. Many local ex-pat Nerja residents also treated it as their 'local', paying a substantial sum to attend the New Year's Eve gala dinner ( a superb feast which is documented in my Nerja travelogues).

The hotel is built in typical Spanish style, with an interior 'patio' (courtyard) with water feature. The lounge, dining room, bar, entertainment rooms and bedrooms run around that central courtyard in two main wings with a newer annex attached (bedrooms and a function room, used for weddings, special occasions and so on). My room faced the narrow road (quiet when I visited and, as it's a residential area, I think it's probably fairly quiet all year round) and had a superb view of the mountains, as well as a sideways glimpse of the sea and sunrise (lovely).

Admittedly, the hotel needs some TLC in parts. The corridor carpets are well-worn (I believe they are to be replaced early this year) and some of the rooms probably need a lick of paint and a tidy-up. But my ensuite room was comfortable enough, with twin beds, efficient heating (so the air con will be equally efficient), a bathtub and shower attachment, ample storage space and a balcony big enough for table and two chairs (with balcony light, which was much appreciated for my evening/early morning reading). There was a good safe, big enough for my netbook, although a small payment is necessary in order to get the key.

Other rooms overlook the pool area and, personally, I'd want to avoid these. Not only are they more likely to be noisy (from the bar and the pool) but the balconies are overlooked by anyone in the pool area. I preferred the privacy of my street-facing balcony, because there were few pedestrians and those who passed by didn't tend to look up....and the houses and flats directly opposite were mostly holiday homes, and thus unoccupied.

My deal included breakfast and evening meal and I was pleased with the variety and quality of food on offer for both. Hot foods were provided for those who wanted a 'full English' but I preferred the fresh rolls, preserves and wonderful Spanish extras such as the lard with spiced minced pork (not as gross as it sounds...try it!). Evening dishes varied through the week, always including meat and fish as main courses and always with a variety of salads and vegetables. A full vegetarian menu is on offer if booked the day before. The only minor quibble i have is that coffee came from a machine: I'd much prefer proper coffee, but the machine coffee was perfectly ok.

There's a lift, and a pool, sunloungers and tables outside, a comfortable lounge with a fireplace (much appreciated in the chillier evenings) and cabinets of books, which could be taken for a small donation to a local charity. I didn't take any, but I did donate the 3 books I completed during my stay. There's a small snooker table, bikes for hire and table tennis as well as nightly entertainment (including karaoke). I didn't stay up late enough to see any of it, although I watched a bit of the weekly flamenco display and was much impressed.

The staff, from cleaners to reception to serving staff, were all very pleasant and helpful, and all have excellent English (not surprising in Nerja).

All in all, I was pleased with my stay. I'd choose this hotel if I was booking independently not least because it's location is so convenient and its rates, certainly out of season, are very reasonable. You can find it on www.booking.com as well as on various other agency websites, or book on the hotel website below.

• Excellent value for a 3 Star Hotel; Nice Food

The Villa Flamenca Hotel is a 3 star hotel in a quiet residential area of Nerja. On the downside the décor is rather tired looking, the rooms are small and badly sound proofed. However everything else is very positive. We found the buffet style meals both breakfast and dinner to be excellent with the exception of the stodgy vegetables.The staff were welcomes and friendly and Michael on reception was exceptional. There is a pleasant swimming pool with free sunbeds and a small bar reasonably priced and live entertainment 5 nights a week. The prices of accommodation at this hotel are cheaper than most hotels in the resort and are excellent value. Best for couples rather than families.

Unique Quality: If you want the afternoon sunshine request a room overlooking the pool if you want a view get a room overlooking the road.

More about Villa Flamenca

The Villa Flamenca in beautiful Nerja

villa flameca is a well situated hotel. with a nice pool and mostly friendly and helpful staff. not all the rooms are of a good standard and we had to insist that they moved us from the first one we were allocated. unfortunately kettles are not provided in the rooms which means that every time you want a cuppa you have to go down to the bar. Villa Flamenca is very close to all amenities, and it has to be said that we found Nerja to be very charming and very reasonably priced. you really are spoilt for choice for places to eat, lots of lovely restaurants, tapas bars and the like should you get fed up with the half board at the hotel.The food at the hotel was quite nice on the whole with plenty of variety and their home made soups were delicious.especially the cauliflower . There are some very friendly cats which seem to be resident who like to come to your table and share a pot of tea . unfortunately the tea sold at the bar is very greeen in colour and not very nice to taste.although the shop across the road does sell tetleys. In summary not bad hotel but take your own kettle.

Great Hotel...shame about the food

I suppose you can't please everyone all the time but the Villa Flamenca does its best. A very pleasant and welcoming hotel where the staff do all they can to please you. The rooms are small and the bathrooms smaller but our original room, 221, around the back and with standing room for one only, was soon changed, with absolutely no fuss (thanks Michael), for a larger room with pool view and balcony where we reviewed the day over an evening drink as the sun went down.

Entertainment good. Pool area delightful BUT shame about the food. I know I am a fussy eater but there were some meals I just couldn't eat. The Gala dinner was better though. If they can do it on a Friday night why not the rest of the week?

Would I go back?....YES I think so. The atmosphere was great and there are plenty of restaurants in Nerja.

Very Nice Family Run Hotel

We have just returned from a 2 week holiday staying at the Villa Flamenca in Nerja. This is a lovely traditional spanish hotel, the buffet was more than enough and a varied vegetarian menu to choose from. What makes this hotel is the politeness and helpfulness from the staff who go out of their way to make your stay as welcoming as possible. The only let down is the dated rooms, tiny balconies and badly planned bathrooms you have to sit sideways on the toilet to get comfortable (many of the people who frequent this hotel are over 40) The pool is small but adequate with plenty of sunbeds and a nice garden area with beautiful fragrant Jasmines. The newer annexe has more updated rooms and a nice entertainment area.

Nerja is a lovely Spanish town with lots of tapas bars and a real traditional feel to it. However, there are 6 urbanisations planned in the locality so get there quick before it expands. Burriana Beach is definitely the best area. Try out the little cafe/bar next to the supermarket; beautiful crepes and beers served by Steve the Belgian owner who greets you with a welcoming smile and a genuine warmth. Nerja is also within distance of Malaga/Ronda/Granada/Gibralter etc, which makes it an excellent centre from which to take day trips. The lovely village of Frigiliana is well worth a visit. The wine they produce is excellent.

We booked through Thomson holidays part of the TUI group who were for the most part extremely efficient however, the coach from the airport was not allowed down the road 300 metres to the hotel to unload. This meant many of the visitors had to carry their suitcases down the road (no generous pavement here) to the hotel and back up on departure. Would you like your Granny and Grandad to be carrying heavy suitcases up and down the middle of the road?? another EU group from Germany refused to disembark and the tour bus had to go down the road and deliver them safely to the door (thus getting a fine in the process). I took note that on one occasion a pick up trailer was sent to collect luggage for our European cousins Hmmmmm!!! Also in the hotel a party of 16 insisted on sitting together - reserving two entire rows of tables thus creating a backlog of people queing to get into the dining area because the tables could not be occupied whilst they took their leisurely time. But the staff try and keep everyone happy and that is why people return to this particular hotel. For what we paid it was a very good holiday weather was fine for 95% of the time. Would we go back - definitely.

loved the resort, loved the hotel, shame about the gala dinner

by TripAdvisor Member winniethepooh

stayed for a week at end of june, normally go self-catering, found the food excellent both at breakfast and dinner, tea was disgusting though and as for the gala dinner, we thought it was going to be something special, it was no different to all the other nights, in fact, the meat dishes were very dry, a tapas type meal with salads would have been a better idea, especially as there is a flamenco show afterwards. Drinks are no dearer than down on the front, the snack bar is open from 12-3, but dont have a spanish omlette, they put chips in it!!, toasted sandwiches very good though, rooms are clean, a bit small, but how long are you in them?, entertainment is good, especially the guy who does wednesdays and saturdays, he also does the sangria and paella demo on a wed lunchtime, he does a really good rendition of hello by neil diamond and has you dancing round the pool to amarillo. Nerja is lovely, burriana beach is a 10 minute walk down the hill and a 20 min walk back up mount everest, yes its steep, but i walked back up it in one go every day, stop for drink at dancers, the people who own it are very friendly, beer is good and the food is excellent, the old town is a 20 minute walk away, very spanish, it comes alive in the evenning with all the restaurants open, shops stay open late and the balcon de europa has entertainers, painters on it, our favourite resort for a holiday so far, we,ll definitely return

Very friendly hotel

Situated in a very pretty part of Nerja only 15 mins walk from town and the beach by the Riu Monica Hotel. Food excellent, always very fresh and constantly being replenished. Staff are excellent and extrememly helpful. Our room was excellent, about 16' x 16' with plenty of cupboard and drawer space. A large bathroom 10' x 10' with a huge corner bath and shower, bidet, toilet and vanity unit with cupboards and drawers for toiletries. Sheets changed 3 times a week and towels every day. Pool area very good and bar prices very similar to prices in the town. An excellent hotel and extremely good value for money.

Been twice intend to go again

My wife and I have been to this hotel twice and it is beginning to feel they are part of the family as the staff are a constant, a good sign in my book, and we have met the same people we met first time around. The entertainment is good, especially Neil who does the Wednesday & Saturday nights. he never fails to please.
Whilst the rooms can be hit and miss we had a really goodsized room on the second visit with a large bathroom towards the front of the hotel in the new annexe. This part of the hotel gave us access to the roof terrace, which, clearly, no-one else knew about so we were able to get in some peaceful sun-bathing.
The food is good, apart from the desserts, and there is usually sufficient choice to satisfy all tastes.
We look forward to going again. We like Nerja and we like this hotel.

Very nice Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Rokerender

Spent a week in the Villa Flamenco. A very nice,friendly hotel,with a good choice of excellent food.Some people were complaining about the size of the rooms,but we chose the annex(after doing some checking on this site prior to the holiday), and found the room to be excellent.
Not impressed with Nerja.

Spain Loved Nerja

When we arrived at this hotel it looked great very spanish after seeing our room i almost deid at the size of it you could not swing a cat the bath room the bath was baby size was a joke you could not sit a the loo without puting your feet in the bath i am not joking we were shown four more rooms all the same size so we stayed put.
The annexe rooms were a little bigger but not much.after unpacking we we went down a very very steep hill to the beach it is called heart attack hill if you carry a little wieght forget it most people walked down and got a taxi back five euros . there are no tv in the rooms you can hire one a con of the hotel the food was ok but always cold .
Nerja is a beautiful town it has plenty to see and there are some great walks, you must vist the caves well worth seven euros or twenty eight if you go with the reps we spent a week at this hotel i would not go back but would go to nerja again the staff at the hotel were not very frendly but who cares we were there for the sun and it was hot

great

by TripAdvisor Member shedevil49

We went to the hotel for a week and we throughly enjoyed it. The staff were very nice and the room was immaculate it was cleaned every day with new towels every day.There was entertainment every night but we didn`t see it because we were visiting friends i have in nerja,but we did go to the flamenco show it was very good. i would go back here without hesitation.

Great location near to beach and a short walk into town. Friendly staff.

Great location near the beach and a short walk into town. The staff were very friendly and spoke very good english but would take the time to encourage anyone who tried to speak spanish. Parking was easy in April/May but not sure about peak summer. The buffet had some good but mostly average food however there was lots of choice. Nice but small pool and garden area. If you get a good deal this place is great but if you pay the full price you might expect a little more.

The Gorge changes direction upon reaching the cityThe Gorge changes direction upon reaching the city

Late night party in NerjaLate night party in Nerja

of course she isof course she is

Going places on the cheaPGoing places on the cheaP

Did not find somebody in Nerja!

by LovetoSpain

In Nerja I wanted to visit Mr. Glyn Eaton, who had Bar Chanquete once upon a time...and I did not find. Did he move? And what about Trudy? I missed Bingo and Karaoke and Billard.....

RE: Did not find somebody in Nerja!

by LovetoSpain

I forgot to write: Glyn and Trudy wanted to marry, did they? Hope they became happy!

Re: Did not find somebody in Nerja!

by trudinagel

Hi, there,
we ended up in Greater Manchester for two years now. The Landlord bought us out by selling the whole building. We were on two years more on the rental contract but he threatend us if we wont go now we would go without any compensation in two years. We would have lost the investment money for the traspaso. Never trust a chinese man. He was a real bastard. But anyway we are happy in England together and only planning for one year longer until be return to rural spain running a new business. return to us, want to know who you are.

Glyn and Trudy

Re: Did not find somebody in Nerja!

by trudinagel

Hi there again,
Could be Mark and Andrew?
Or Josie and Andy?
We registered at the register office, and think we do it next month -- to find a start for our wheelchair race we plan in forty or fifty years

Comments