Becquer Hotel Seville

Expedia.com HotelTravel.com Hotels.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• sandysmith's Profile Photo

Central Location

A comfortable 2 night stay enjoyed here, often quoted as a 3 star hotel but has been upgraded to a 4 star and is deserved. Situated about 5 mins walk from the Bullring and a bit further to the old town centre of the Giralda and Alcazar.

Unique Quality: Good sized rooms - and a huge bed! - with mini-bar and TV and modern bathroom with full suite and hairdryer. Everying was marked with the hotel logo - even the toilet paper!
    I think I saw the room rate quoted at 200 euros per night but we were staying here for free using our airmiles :-)) The breakfast was good with choice of hot and cold dishes from the buffet.

Note the hotel has a bar attached to it which seemed quite popular (just adjacent to its entrance) and the meals served here were the same as those served in its inner restaurant but about half the price!

Directions: near the bullring

More about Becquer Hotel Seville

Absolutely Terrific Choice!

by TripAdvisor Member cmd123

We spent 3 nights at the Becquer (October 13-15, 2004), and have to say it must be the quietest hotel in the world! Our very nice, large room fronted the street, with a charming little balcony, and once the French doors were closed, street noises disappeared. The location is perfect, as other reviews have noted. We had requested a non-smoking room and were given a room in a non-smoking wing. The cafe downstairs had the best tapas we found in Seville. The staff was efficient and friendly, the room spotlessly clean, and we had no complaints! It was great. We walked into the old city to have breakfast--a good, inexpensive English breakfast at the Cafe Indies across from the Cathedral.

Unhelpful staff

My main comment about the Becquer involves the staff, some of whom were not very helpful when there was a mix-up with our reservations through hotels. We reserved a room for four nights in mid-November and when we arrived, the hotel did not have our reservations. They did, however, offer the same rate as hotels and provided us with a room. After reserving the room, my husband was told to double park our rental car so we could put our luggage in the room. No one bothered to offer to help with the luggage, and then a horn started blaring which we soon learned was from a car we were blocking. Later, the staff was not inclined to contact hotels.com about our reservation and sent us to a phone booth outside to call the 800 number. Well, 800 numbers do not work in Europe, so the next day, when we passed an internet cafe, I e-mailed hotels.com to straighten out the reservation. The Becquer is in a great location, just 10 minutes from the Cathedral and Real Alcazar. The rooms were well-kept and moderate in size. The buffet breakfast was good and the breakfast staff attentive. We had a hard time with room service. The reservation staff insisted we get ice from the restaurant next door, one glass at a time, until my husband complained and room service finally delivered a bucket of ice. The night before we checked out, I paid $5 to use their internet service to check my e-mail for a response from hotels.com, which responded in 24 hours about the mix-up with our reservations. There was no printer attached to the computer, so I dragged over one of the staff from the front desk to read the e-mail from hotels, and for once, I was given help. She let me print out the e-mail from the computer in their office, and when we checked out the next morning, our bill was paid through hotels. If the desk staff would have been more helpful, we would have given the Becquer a better review.

Good, Bequer, Best

by TripAdvisor Member rlemon

The Bequer could be better, but it does have some advantages that make it worthwhile. We found the lobby staff very helpful and courteous, in contrast to some of your other reviewers. Our stay was in December of 2004, it was off-season, and we had every request and need addressed cheerfully. The room was comfortable, quiet and clean.
There is a bar next door, where you can get a coffee, snack, drink, and a pastry in the morning if you decide not to contract for breakfast with the hotel. The hotel breakfast wasn't bad. Taking a lunch or dinner at the hotel is not advisable--they are geared to feed stomachs not pallettes. There was a bus group staying there at the time, and contracted food seems to be the speciality of the house.

Another advantage is the location--while not perfect, it was close to the concert hall and the bull ring, and just a block from the river. There were lots of restaurants of diverse description nearby, along with shopping just a couple of blocks away. We took cabs to get to the main sights in town, most of which are near the Cathedral.

Although lacking in charm, the hotel is good value, if you search about for a good rate. And like people everywhere, if you are nice to the staff, by and large, they will be nice to you.

I would return to the Bequer.

Clean, decent location

by TripAdvisor Member fsufan

Most major tourist sites are walkable (about 10-15 minutes to the Cathedral, Alcazar, and Barrio Santa Cruz district). The bullfighting ring is about 5 min. away. We also walked to the park from the hotel, but it is a bit farther. One of the bridges is very close, making it easy to visit the Triana district where there are several restaurants, cafes and bars on Calle Betis right by the water. The room was very clean and quiet. We didn't get quite as good a rate as other reviewers (119 Euro/night), but couldn't find a cheaper hotel in the "moderate" rate category. I had read that the Santa Cruz district is unsafe at night, but the area the hotel was in seemed very safe. There are many fast food restaurants by the hotel (we didn't eat there), but would be a plus for travelers with children who are picky eaters. The staff, surprisingly, didn't seem to be very fluent in English. Luckily, one of my fellow travelers was fluent in Spanish. Staff was helpful (when speaking to her) and booked a flamenco show for us as well as gave directions to major sites.

Good value pleasant hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Dallerton53

I was a bit put off by the close proximity of a Burger King and KFC (call me a snob) but the hotel is clean, spacious and welcoming, and there are other very nice resturants, cafes and bars close at hand. And yes - I did have a Burger!

The hotel is close to the river and about a 15 minute stroll to the Cathedral.

My room was a good size, quiet, well decorated and well equipped, though it did face onto an inner courtyard which didn't let in a lot of daylight - but who wants to spend the day in a hotel room ?

The staff were very helpful and pleasant and the bar at the front of the hotel ( I dont know if they're under the same ownership?) did a brisk trade in drinks and food (I just had a beer so can't comment on the food).

I paid 86 euros per night (excluding breakfast) for single occupancy of a twin room, which was good value for the standard of accommodation. I ate one breakfast at the hotel - it was good with plenty of choice. I just prefer to try different places to eat.

If you want a clean, modern, comfortable hotel in a fairly central spot - this hotel is a good bet.

I loved Seville - the old barrio is fantastic as is the Cathedral and Real Alcazar.

Comments