Villa De La Palmera

Satisfaction Poor

Costs 23% more and rated 22% lower than other 4 star hotels

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo

Hotel in a mansion

To be honest my stay at this hotel was very mixed. Please bear in mind that it has been a few years since i was at this hotel, things may have changed since I was there.

Location- was on Avenida la Palmera over by the football stadium. About a 20 minute walk to Parque Maria Luisa. There was a bus stop directly behind the hotel that would get you downtown without any great problem. Location was probably more suited to a honeymoon or business stay than a touristing stay. It is a basically residential area, there is little in the way of convenience shops or anything like that nearby. Their website claims the hotel is 5 minutes from the Cathedral (the bus ride to downtown was like 15-20 minutes, so I don't know what mode of transportation they are assuming you are using.)

The room- I got a single room, which i think was a big mistake. It was located on the ground level next to the parking spaces. The bed itself was comfortable and the room was relatively well furnished in very classic style. However, the armoire just wouldn't close. At the time of my visit i thought that some of the antiques they trumpeted having needed a bit of going over to make sure they worked perfectly. Unfortunately, at the time the neighbors had a dog that liked to show off the fact that he had a thunderous bark

Breakfast- breakfast came with the room fee and was both plentiful and quite good.

Service- The people that worked at the hotel when i was there were really very nice. There was a sort of manager on duty that would go around and check on the guests as they were sitting in the common areas, I personally found him very standoffish, though the front desk folks were quite friendly and helpful. At night it seems the staff was reduced to just one person and it didn't seem like anyone spent much time in the common areas later (after sunset or dinner).
    I will say that the night man was really very kind to me, I had gone downtown for a meal and almost as soon as i got back i felt not well. He sat in the downstairs and chatted for a while until my stomach had stabilized. I remember the service being generally pretty good, not exceptional, but nothing objectionable.

In general I would probably not stay here again if my purpose for visiting Sevilla was to visit the sites and be nearby. This is more secluded, somewhat time consuming to reach if you don't bring a car. For a hotel that has a 4 star rating...one could do better.

Unique Quality: The Villa de la Palmera is a reconverted mansion on the lovely Avenida la Palmera. It is a bright place with wide marble staircases and large common areas decorated tastefully with large paintings and bright colors. Walking along the avenue is really very pretty, there are a few restaurants within walking distance.

What I did see of the other rooms were quite nice (doubles and larger). The downstairs common areas were nice, they felt a bit too large (the rec room inside with these gigantic ceilings )
    There was a swimming pool (didn't use) and a lovely balcony where you could get drinks and food (though i dont remember the extent of food service)

If you want to stay in a mansion this would be an interesting stay.

Directions: within sight of the Real Betis stadium

More about Sevilla

page 2page 2

Seville - SpainSeville - Spain

Iglesia d. Sta. Ma La BlancaIglesia d. Sta. Ma La Blanca

Kayak passes under Puente de Isabel IIKayak passes under Puente de Isabel II

Hostal Dona Trinidad

by oxfordlad

One of the places I was thinking of staying at was Hostal Dona Trinidad, has anyone else stayed there?

Re: Hostal Dona Trinidad

by unaS

Did you see their cancellation policy?

Sorry for the long link - I used google to translate the page.

Travel Tips for Sevilla

Absolutely see PLAZA DE ESPANA

by Sharrie

Absolutely see PLAZA DE ESPANA (actually I've got no choice over this matter, I go where my guide brings me ;-) & she's the beautiful Victoria, you'll see more of her later!): The plaza's ground is a donation from Princess Maria Luisa to the city in 1893 & landscaped by Jean Forestier. Here, you can see the beauty of many paintings on ceramic tiles depicting regional scenes.

Tapas & bars

by Mildute

Visit bars in Alfafa street, there are several cosy places offering realy nice typical food...
And in this bar in the picture in the placa de Santa Maria la Blanca they also offer delisious tapas... The city surprising with it’s quantity of tapa-bars… Somehow I have an impression that you can find some tapa place on each corner, great!

Catch A Fiery Flamenco Show At A Local Tablao!

by Krystynn

Yes, I highly recommend that you catch a fiery Flamenco show at a local Tablao (flamenco bar)!

The Tablao we patronized is called - El Patio Sevillano located in the Barrio de Santa Cruz district.

El Patio Sevillano is a traditional tablao decorated with traditional Andalucian patios (just like the circle seats in some of our local cinemas/ theaters). Sip on a glass of sangria (a lovely Spanish alcoholic concoction) and be entertained by the clacking heels of these passionate Flamenco dancers.

After a while, even I felt like joining them on stage. Yes, I don't mind being the feminine answer to Spain's #1 Flamenco dancer - Joaquin Cortes.

P.S. If you like the 'Gypsy Kings' brand of music, then I'm pretty sure you'd enjoy one of these shows.

Meals Sevilla-style

by fairy_dust

Breakfast is eaten after getting out of bed in the morning and is usually small and light. When I lived with a host family, I would eat a bowl of cereal with milk, and drink some coffee.

Mid-morning, lots of people go to small breakfast bar for a mid-morning snack. At the language school, we'd go to a nearby cafe and usually our snacks would be a piece of toast with either butter, olive oil, or jam, and a cafe con leche.

Lunch is the biggest meal of the day and is usually eaten between 2pm and 5pm. At the host family's house, we'd have some soup or a salad, then something with meat, and then fruit for dessert.

Supper is usually at 10pm or 11pm and is much smaller than lunch. I only had half-board with the host family so I didn't get supper, but my friends and I would usually go for tapas in the evening at bars and cafes.

When I told some Spanish friends that in Canada, we usually eat supper at around 6pm, they were shocked and one of them said she can't imagine eating anything more than a snack at 6pm!

As for the basic food groups in Spain - olive oil, garlic, ham, and seafood. Pretty much everything "typically Spanish" has at least one of these in it!

Day 27

by into-thin-air

Walk to Granja de Moreruela -- 21.8k -- refugio

Very Pleasant day with the ancient city of Castrotafe to explore en-route

Great lunch stop at Riego del Camino

Bar Perigrino at Granja de Moreruela is a Must -- ask to see the sub-terrainian Bodega !!

Comments