Carretera Cadiz-Malaga Km 76, Tarifa, Spain
Booking.com Priceline.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 21% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Tarifa (Cadiz)

Inside the FRS boat from Tarifa to Tangier cityInside the FRS boat from Tarifa to Tangier city

Two surfers as Atlantic Ocean waves roll inTwo surfers as Atlantic Ocean waves roll in

Only foundations remain in some placesOnly foundations remain in some places

Distant visitor centre when approaching BoloniaDistant visitor centre when approaching Bolonia

Parking facilities

by daarth

We're thinking of taking the ferry over to Tangier in July (our first time)
I already found a lot of good info on the www.frs.es site, but just wonder if it's easy to find parking near the ferry?
Also, I take it Tarifa IS the best option to cross over?

by smirnofforiginal

There is ample parking at the ferry terminal. Whatever you do ONLY purchase a ticket inside the ferry terminus. ANYbody trying to sell you a ticket who is NOT sat behind one of the counter INSIDE the terminus will rip you off and doubtlessly leave you with a ticket that is not valid.
I found it difficult to find where I was meant to be going (but I will admit it was very eaerly morning and I had not had any coffee... when I did finally find it I wondered how I could have missed it so many times! but the signage is not great!)

Hey thanks, great!

by smirnofforiginal

u welcome :-)
I seem to remember being annoyed about the price of the parking!
enjoy!

by GibJoe

Last year when I went over, I parked in a small car park which was five minutes walk from the port which was much cheaper than the port, I don´t know how much it was, but it was recommended to me by a Moroccan friend who does use it regularly.

The crossing from Tarifa is much faster, also another option if you do not want to use your car to get to Tarifa is getting to Algeciras via bus, and then you can buy a Tarifa-Tangiers ticket and use the free bus which takes you to Tarifa.

As said above do not buy a Ticket outside always go to the counter!

Thanks!!

by Carmela71

ok, I have never paid to park lol. We always go with time and drive around normal street parking areas, till we find a spot, maybe 10 minutes walking to the ferry. There used to be an area near the beach always finded an spot (avoid blue parking areas or you will be in trouble David lol)

I always choose the ferry from tarifa as it is easier and safer to leave the car there than in Algeciras. :-)

by daarth

Ohhh, thanks for the tip Carmen! It's too long till we come down there!

by Carmela71

I have the feeling I may be in tarifa before you go so I will check if it has not changed lol

Great, thanks!
btw, I've only driven past, but never stopped in Tarifa. Will be fun to see it and try the crossing

by daarth

Thanks for the tips guys! Trip done and found parking on a side-street school yard (or something), right near the gate to the ferry. They took 6 Euros for the day.

by daarth

<<<when I did finally find it I wondered how I could have missed it so many times! but the signage is not great!)

Ha! I drove all the way out on the wrong pier, but I had also not had my morning coffee ;o)

Travel Tips for Tarifa (Cadiz)

Climate

by keeweechic

Tarifa enjoys a warm humid climate. The summers while hot are not stifling because of the sea breezes and evenings can be cool. The winds are what makes Tarifa famous with the windsurfers. Winters are mild but can be quite cold in the mornings and evenings.

Paseo de la Alameda

by Carmela71

This Alameda is where the tourist office is sited, also there are lots of restaurants with Terraces.

The port is just close to it, and also the castle. There are parking places around, so it is a good point to start your visit around Tarifa

Diving

by GibJoe

For diving around Tarifa contact the following

AVENTURA MARINA

www.buceoscorpora.com
Email scorpora@arrakis.es

Gibraltar

by bugalugs

Within an hours drive from Tarifa is Gibraltar, which is British territory. The people there are known as Gibraltarians and speak english and spanglish which is a mixture of english and spanish.

It was here in the bay 200 years ago that Admiral Nelson of the British Royal Navy Fleet was killed during the battle of trafalgar and his body was brought ashore here.

Gibraltar is also known for the Rock which looms up so high, and is the home to dozens of monkeys that roam free.

You can get a cable car up the Rock, or even walk if you are energetic enough. St Michaels Caves on the Rock are very impressive. Casemates Square where there are cafes and restaurants. Main Street which has an assortment of supposedly 'duty free' shops, although I dont think they are particularly duty free prices, unless you haggle with them and get the prices down, especially electrical, never buy something without having a haggle first. Pefume shops, and cigarette shops where the prices are a 1/5th of the price that they are in the UK. Probably half the price that you would pay in Spain. You are only allowed to take 200 into Spain though and the customs there are very strict, not the English customs but the Spanish customs.

Castle Guzman el Bueno at Tarifa

by Carmela71

Overlooking the port you can see the castle, it was constructed by the arabs over some roman ruins posible.

We did not have time to enter, as our visit to Tarifa was not planned, but hope to come back again soon.

Comments