Califa Hotel I

Satisfaction Terrible

Good For No Data

More about Torremolinos

Tiled picture - Bodega QuitapenasTiled picture - Bodega Quitapenas

Plaza de los Tajillos lift entrancePlaza de los Tajillos lift entrance

Plaza San MiguelPlaza San Miguel

Sonja Carmen Gilly Stace Chris Sandra Isa Chris NaSonja Carmen Gilly Stace Chris Sandra Isa Chris Na

Staying in Torremolinos and visiting Morrocco and Gibraltar - best routes?

by rayjohns

Hello! We will be staying in Torremolinos in May and plan to go to Morocco for four days and return the same way through Tangier. Is the best idea to take an early public bus to Algelcira or Tarife? Any reason to chose one over the other? If we leave Torremolinos at 7 am, when can we figure on arriving in Tangier, more or less?

When we return, is it easy to stop by in Gibraltar for a couple of hours? Are the bus lines easy to figure out? About how much time should we plan on?

Thank you!

by MaheshSamtani

The following link will give you information of the bus company that does the route from Torremolinos to Algeciras. Speak to them and get detailed information on timings and routes depending on from where you decide to start your journey from - Algeciras or Tarifa.

If you have the possibility of dropping the car at the Algeciras por terminal ( which depends on the company from whom you rent your car ) I would suggest you to drive it till Algeciras or Tarifa.

The distance from Torremolios to Algeciras is of 127 kilometers and can take you 90 minutes. You can get there using the toll highway with fees of a little over 8 euros. You also have the option of taking the E 15, where you might take a little longer to get but is a normal free road. the distance to tarifa is of 148 kilometers from Torremolinos and around 2 hours of driving time. The fare on the ship per person from Algeciras is around 37 euros and takes around 3 hours to cover the journey. Just call to check if the weather conditions permit the ship to leave or buy your tickets after you are sure that weather permits the ship to leave the port.

From Tarifa you have a fast ferry that gets you to Tangiers in 35 minutes. The cost is also of 37 Euros. They offer you a 10% discount for return tickets.

Gibraltar is on the way. If you are tight on time do it on another day. The time depends on the hour that you are entering or leaving Gibraltar and the traffic at the customs. if you are not in a rush, Gibraltar is well worth a stop.

Hope this information helps.
best regards
Mahesh

by rayjohns

Thank you for your response - very helpful!

by GibJoe

I must say that Mahesh has answered almost everything! One of the websites for the ferry is www.frs.es I believe there are other ferry companies but that is the only one that I know of. The other thing is that most people to go to Tangiers, go to Tarifa, I do not know if that is because the ferries are more frequent in Tarifa or some other reason. For Gibraltar there are buses from Algeciras every thirty minutes, you would have to get on a bus for La Linea which is the neighboring town to Gibraltar. The bus station is just a three minute walk from the frontier. There are no queues from Gibraltar into Spain for pedestrians, different story for cars there seems to be an average of 30 mins queues but they can be be worse!

Travel Tips for Torremolinos

Grey skies and more to come!

by Geoff_Wright

Oh to relax on the soft, sandy beach, with the afternoon sun on your back. If only...

This is the beach at Torremolinos just before the night of the storm which wrecked it. The next day, the beach umbrellas and the concrete walkway on the beach were washed away.

Mijas

by toonsarah

The hills behind Torremolinos are dotted with so-called “white villages” or Pueblos Blancos. Many can only be reached by car, but one of the nearest to Torremolinos, Mijas, is just an hour away on the bus, so some of us headed there on Sunday.

We caught the number 121 bus from the bus station; it cost just 1.40€ each way and took just over an hour going and a little less coming back. After leaving the Torremolinos sprawl, it followed an attractive route with views of the sea as we climbed round hairpin bends that seemed almost too tight for the bus to negotiate.

On arrival in Mijas we headed straight to the viewpoint to look down over the route we had taken, before visiting the nearby shrine, dedicated to the Virgin of the Rock, or "Santuario de la Virgen de la Pena" in Spanish. This was built in the 16th century on the spot where a long-lost statue of the Virgin was rediscovered by two children, led here by a dove.

Later we strolled the village streets, popped into a few shops (this appears to be a great place to buy leather) and had a lovely lunch in “La vita e'bella”, before a quick visit to the ethnographic museum in a lovely old house, and then back on the bus for our journey back to Torrremolinos. This all made for a lovely day out, and we really enjoyed our glimpse of another side to Andalucia – so near to the beaches and yet so very different in character.

Visit my small Mijas page to read more about our day out.

Lovely place for Afternoon tea

by suvanki about L Epanto Salon de te Pasteleria

We walked off some of our lunch calories, and ended up on Calle San Miguel, where we had the choice of 2 tearooms, Lepanta and a few doors away, Goyesca.
We decided that we preferred the window display of Lepanta - So many pastries, chocolates and other delicacies that were calling to be tried!

Inside were further calorie laden delights-Ice cream, delicate fruit tartlets, gataux etc.

It was so difficult to choose just one pastry-I eventually settled for an almond pastry 'cone ' wrapped around a custard filling. Then the decision was which tea to choose-I much prefer drinking tea to coffee, and am waiting for the forecasted 'tea room revolution' to hit the UK. Lepanta does serve coffee, as well as a selection of cold drinks

I chose Earl Grey, which came as loose leaf tea (Not a tea bag-hoorah) in a pot, with a strainer.

There was an extensive menu of speciality teas.

Pleasantly decorated, with an eye catching feature chandelier.
I can't find my receipt, but think it was less than 5 Euros for my pastry and drink.

We returned here again 2 days later, this time there were about 10 of us!

Again it was a difficult decision - I eventually selected a delectable chocolate mousse/truffle encased in dark chocolate - Bliss! my Earl Grey Luxus was presented in a tea bag this time, but made of silk! Yes, it felt quite decadent!

I enjoyed my tea room experience, and again something that I probably wouldn't have expected to find in Torremolinos. Apparently there is a branch in Marbella too.

Your Daily Exercise

by Geoff_Wright

The Camino de la Playa is the wonderful white marble footpath that takes you from beach-level up into the town. There are 130 steps here, and it is quite a struggle, at first, to climb them all in one go, haha. Actually, the main reason for this is because of the magnificent views from the path.

There is a lift which will take you about three quarters of the way up. You can see the lift tower in the photo, just to the left of the hotel. As Mary dislikes lifts, we climbed those steps every day!! Now that was some activity, I assure you!

Lift to the city center by Camino de la Playa.

by Regina1965

As I mentioned in my previous tip, then the steps at Camino de la Playa are steep. Fortunately there is a lift which takes you up to the upper view platform and from there there are a few steps and a short walk to the city center. As you see from the pictures the lift is hidden from view, so you have to look for it ;) at least I had to do it, but there are signs which you follow.

The lift operates from 10-12:30 and 13:15-18.

The view from the view platform is fantastic and there are binoculars there, you just pay a small fee for using them.

Comments