El Tiburon Hotel

Otel.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 57% less than similarly rated 2 star hotels

More about El Tiburon Hotel

Gambas and fino at Bodega Quitapenas, TorremolinosGambas and fino at Bodega Quitapenas, Torremolinos

Plaza de la Union Europea - SculpturePlaza de la Union Europea - Sculpture

Tiled buildingTiled building

Me and Bluebear being fed with tapasMe and Bluebear being fed with tapas

El Tiburon

by robbyw

Any info on the El Tiburon Hotel. Is parking a problem near hotel?

Cheers,

RE: El Tiburon

by puerto_lover

copy and paste this link?

by robbyw

Thanks for your reply. There wasn't 1 bad report.
I normally book 4* H/B, but want to sample the local restaurants this time.
I have been quoted £62 for 4 nights B&B - total for 2 people, which is very cheap.
Just thought parking may be a problem beside the hotel.
Do you know if the hotel has an email address?

Thanks again,

RE: RE: RE: El Tiburon

by robbyw

Thanks for your reply. There wasn't 1 bad report.
I normally book 4* H/B, but want to sample the local restaurants this time.
Just thought parking may be a problem beside the hotel.
Do you know if the hotel has an email address?

Thanks again,

by puerto_lover

? tel: +34 95 2381320
According to Yellow Pages map there is a Parking at 150 meters from hotel.
See: http://tinyurl.com/8f9cx

by robbyw

Thanks again, maybe this is too good an offer to miss.

The hotels website; http://www.hoteltiburon.com/

email address; hoteltiburon@tiburon.e.telefonica.net

Travel Tips for Torremolinos

Soccer

by keeweechic

Soccer is a very popular sport in Spain and was introduced by the British when they occupied the country. Soccer camps are even held during the summer months. While you can often see children and adults kicking around a soccer ball, there are obviously places where you cant.

Andalucian Cuisine

by suvanki about Andaluz Bar Restaurante

We chose this place for it's close proximity to our apartment for our first evening meal. Torremolinos caters for all tastes, with Chinese, Indian, Lebanese, Dutch, Scandinavian, British and American restaurants in evidence.
We were hoping to try Andalucian food during our stay - tapas, fish, seafood and typical meat dishes were what we were looking for, and this place fitted the bill- it specialised in Pescaito Frito (Fried Fish) Carnes Parrilla (Grilled meat?) and Paella (the typical rice based dish)

Seating was available outside, but it was too cold that evening, so we were shown a table inside for the three of us.

It was quite a cosy bar/restaurant, with locals enjoying a quick drink at the bar. Service was friendly and efficient.

Gilly and I decided to continue our Sangria 'research' having enjoyed a jug of this local drink earlier.
This came with orange, apple and pear chunks, plus a complimentary dish of green olives.

Sonja wasn't keen on tapas, and opted for grilled fish instead.
Gilly and I perused the Tapas menu- racione sized dishes were mainly 2.70 Euros (Prawn dishes were 3 Euros) and selected 2 dishes each

I selected Pork meatballs in almond sauce and tripe (This is something that I haven't liked, when I've tried it at home, when it came in a white sauce with onions, but I wanted to try something different)

Gilly chose Iberian sausage and I think spicy pork meat.

I was very pleased with the tripe, which had a nice texture, and a smokey flavour, and came in a delicious tomato sauce, my meatballs were quite pleasant too, I was glad of the bread to mop up the juices!

We had intended to go to the bar nearby that advertised brandy and a biscuit for a night cap, but by the time we left it had closed, so we headed for the bar at our apartments instead, as it was quite cold to be walking about. We enjoyed our meal, which included

1 jug of Sangria-12 Euros
1 soft drink-1.70
Grilled sea bass-12.50
4x raciones- 2.70 each -slightly larger than a tapas portion- Gilly and I chose 2 dishes each
Bread 1 euro x 3
Total Bill for 3 persons 40 Euros

WONDERFUL PAELLA & FISH DISHES

by LoriPori about RESTAURANTE "LA PAELLA"

Hans and I, along with new friends Alba and Juan, had dinner at this lovely restaurant on the Paseo called LA PAELLA. As it was a lovely, sunny Sunday afternoon, the restaurant was filled with locals.
We had a nice table at the back, with an excellent view of the sea. It was also nice and bright.
Hans ordered pork and baked potato. I ordered fillet of beef, which came with patatas and salad. Alba and Juan shared a huge plate of Paella. Hans, Alba and I also had a Sangria with our meal.
Service was good, even though they were very busy. The locals got a little loud after a while, which was a little annoying, but all in all a pleasant dining experience.

Old ruins on a ledge in the Gorge

by Bwana_Brown

Maybe because of the angle of the sun, the most interesting thing for me in the Gorge were some ruins of old flour mills built in the early 1900s. Off to the left you can see where the ledge they were built on drops off into the even deeper depths of the river canyon. Back in those old days, the town was much more prosperous and had twice the population it presently has - possibly because it was much more difficult to get away to the coast on those hot summer days?

The 2nd photo shows a group of people hiking toward the ruins (at top centre of the photo). They could be part of a group exploring the gorge itself, which can be walked from one end to the other alongside the Alhama River. If you want to return to civilization at the top of the gorge you have a choice of either steep slopes or steps (some of which are carved into the rock face) at several locations in the gorge.

Finally, it was time to get moving to find our night's accommodations, so I said good-bye to an olive tree growing beside the viewing area (3rd photo).

Avenida Carlota Alessandri

by suvanki

After enjoying another walk down Paseo Maritimo to La Carihuela (stopping at La Roca for our obligatory VT Group Shot) 22 of us enjoyed a leisurely lunch of pintxos (Basque style tapas) at Vinotecca el Elefante (see my Restaurant tips and travelogue for Saturday 29th January).

Afterwards, some of us decided to head to Calle San Miguel, by Avenida Carlota Alessandri, a long street that runs along the lower part of Parque de la Bateria and heads to the old town.
I'm afraid that I didn't get to see the park at this visit, but it sounds like a nice alternative to the beach for somewhere to relax. As part of Torries face-lift, the park was renovated, with 100's of trees and shrubs being planted. In the 1940's it was the site for a military base, there are some reminders of this time with the round watch tower, which was visible from the road (pic 2). Apparently there are many canons to be seen too. The park is now a memorial garden to those who lost their life in WW2.

I was quite intrigued by the white and blue building in the shape of a boat on the corner of Calle Aladino. It appeared to be closed. I wasn't sure if it was a place with holiday apartments.
There was a banner which I think was advertising a language school and translation services.

At the end of Avenida Carlota Alessandri, we came across a small garden, with a Monument in the shape of two crossed steel triangles (pic 3). Nearby were 2 plaques (pic 4) in Spanish and English, which commemorated "A Gathering of the Peoples of Spain and Great Britain For the Union of the Municipalities of Stockport and Torremolinos 1991"
I can't find out why these 2 towns 'united' twenty years ago though.

At the next roundabout was an attractive fountain with statues of prancing horses at its base.(pic 5)
This was near Calle San Miguel, where we had time for a spot of bargain shopping in the January Sales, before enjoying a calorie laden treat at Le Epanta (see my restaurant tip for more info)

Comments