AC Gijon Hotel

AC Hotel Gijon by Marriott
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Gijón

Playa de San Lorenzo and Cimadevilla.Playa de San Lorenzo and Cimadevilla.

Revillagigedo PalaceRevillagigedo Palace

Gijon visit with kids! HELP!

by activefamilytraveler

We are visiting Gijon over christmas and new years with KIDS! 4 year old, 2 year old and 8months old.
Are there any place we should visit? Any playgrounds?
Please give me some recommendation on family friendly (not classy) restaurant that serves good food.
Thank you thank you thank you. I am so excited to visit such a beautiful city.

Also, if anyone knows.. Is it easy to get around town by bus with kids? If we taxi, I thought we would need child car seat. (am I right?) so, bus is the only option seems like.
If there are any recommendation, comments, advice, please let me know.

by nomad7890

I would not worry too much - just take your stroller! Not sure where you are staying, but Gijon is pretty walkable and there are plenty of parks. I would just double check the weather, but I doubt that you would need a car. Here is the city hall site - http://www.gijon.es/default.aspx?leng=en ... if I chopped anything off just use www.gijon.es and click on English on the top of the page. There's a tourism link at the bottom- they showed a nice acquarium and other parks.

If any place is a little too long to walk, you can take a taxi a couple of times, but most places you should be able to walk.

Make sure you taste a good Fabada Asturiana - hmmmm! with some Rioja wine, even if for lunch.

Nomad

by victor72

Hi :
I`m from Gijon.
You should visit with yor childs :
The Acuarium, Botanic Garden and Mercaplana, with a lot of toys to the childs.
You can visit all the city on fod, except those three places are far of the center, and you can get in bus.
The are a lot of restaurants near the Town Hall, you can ask "pote asturiano", "chorizos a la sidra", and drink the famous sidra (cider)
One day, you should visit Oviedo, in bus "Alsa", it takes 20 minutes.
You can ask free information in the tourist shop, is in the Poniente beach

by nomad7890

Ahhhh ... if you visit Oviedo, have lunch at El Raitan - my favorite for Fabada Asturiana. Most of Oviedo is also fairly walkable, an extremely beautiful city. Look out for the gypsies around la Regenta statue by the cathedral, don't let them put the little branch in your hand!

I just went to Madrid for a long weekend after looking at my picture of chocolate con churros from Santa Gines ... I better not look at my fabada picture - I need to spend the rest of vacation with my grand kids - he he - I want to run back there!

Travel Tips for Gijón

Gijón Tip

by lucyguajardo

The little town of Cabrales is great. It transport you to the past, and make you feel very close to the nature. In that place is where the Cabrales cheese is make. I went to a house of this old lady that make cheese and explain me all the process. Is great coz they put the cheese in some caverns and that's the secret of the flavor of the famous Cabrales Cheese.

She told me that the cheese have to be in some caverns during month so have that special flavor.

The cheese is use at all Asturias and some other parts of Spains with the famus tapa 'Patatas al Cabrales' (mmmm, yumy)

Playa de San Lorenzo

by asturnut

Gijon's biggest and most famous beach is the Playa de San Lorenzo. It's a humongous crescent shaped beach along the paseo (boardwalk of sorts) that is always teeming with people in warm weather. It's sort of a resort town/family beach kind of place. I shoud mention that even though this is a densely populated beach it is very common for women to sunbathe topless here (as it is lots of places in Europe), but this is a very family friendly beach. All along the beach are places to eat and things to do.

The beach is open from 10 to 21. There are showers, footbaths and fountains in addition to lifeguards, medics, rescue and police all stationed on or near the beach.

Comments