Passeig del Moll 7, Cala Bona, 07559, Spain

Rated 11% higher but also costs 56% more than other 3 star hotels

More about Hotel Cala Bona

Enjoyable holiday at the Hotel Cala Bona

by TripAdvisor Member Tennyhell

Booked a late deal for an extremely cheap price and we were very impressed. The hotel consists of three buildings - the front building by the marina has the bar, the building behind has the reception, swimming pool and restaurant, and the third (I believe) is just bedrooms. Our room, although small, was clean but can get quite warm if you don't have air-conditioning as you only get a fan. Food was buffet style and we had no problem with it as there was always a choice, whether it be meat/fish, salad, or veg. Chips were always on offer! Breakfast you had a choice of cereals, cooked breakfasts (eggs, bacon, sausages etc), croissants, rolls (which were cooked in the restaurant) fruit, yoghurt, cheese etc. There is a table sharing policy if you are a couple, but this just means you get to talk to people. Entertainment was very good and if you get the chance you must see 'John'. Sit outside if you do as he tends to include passers-by in his act!! The hotel is centrally located right in front of the Marina and it's about a 10-15 minute walk down to Cala Millor, although you don't need to do this as there are plenty of bars and cafes nearby. The nearest beach is about 10 mins walk to the right of the hotel. It is a little rocky by the waters edge but once you are in, it's fine. Sunbeds and parasols are 3.50 euros each which can get a little expensive so most people tend to buy a parasol and lay on the sand! Cala Millor beach is nicer but can get extremely busy. Another good thing to do is rent a bike. A lot of the resort areas are paved which is safe but the roads are very easy to ride on and drivers considerate! That way you do get to see a bit more of the coast without having to pay excessively for day trips. The Cala Bona hotel does cater for the English although if you go left out of the hotel and to the next resort (about a 10 min walk) this caters for the Scandinavians (beach not so nice and covered in dead seaweed!) and if you go past Cala Millor, this tends to be more Germans.

I hope this is helpful.

5* Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member sunshine4surrey

Just back from Hotel Cala Bona. Fantastic place. Excellent food with huge variety. Staff and owner very friendly and polite. Very clean. Rooms very comfortable and well furnished. Definately be going back!!!!!

Hotel location made the holiday

by TripAdvisor Member Joyoftravelling

I have recently returned from a week long excellent holiday with my 12 years old granddaughter, having stayed at the Hotel Cala Bona in their La Pergola building., with sea view. The hotel is spotlessly clean and well run , has good facilities and staff and. although buffet meals are not my preference when travelling with my husband, the quality and choice of food should suit most people. I would add that there was no sign of problem fresh fruit, either at breakfast or dinner, and the disgruntled earlier commentator perhaps would have preferred British syle puddings, which are not part of Spanish/ Ballearic culture, and could of course be found elsewhere in non local owned establishments. The hotel paella was excellent and ,in restaurants is generally cooked to order. Since it is extremely difficult to gauge how many people will request a dish, it is not surprising to find that it was made / served in stages in a hotel.
There was evening entertainment in the hotel ,and also in front of it, but it did not go on till early hours .We generally find that the entertainment is not a late night problem on holidays but rather more the other travellers who have no idea how to behave so other people can enjoy their holiday.( and that includes older people and not just youngsters ).
The Tourist Info office is opposite the hotel, buses to Palma etc are 2 mins walk away, and tours , boat trips and bike hires etc are easily arranged.
All in all, we have had a great holiday ,with lots of sunshine and fun, and have had a very pleasant stay in Hotel Cala Bona which I would not hesitate to return to.
Having used Resorthoppa for transfers, we had effortless pickups in both directions.

Execllent hotel and fab staff

by TripAdvisor Member loopylou26

I'm 26 my sister is 27 and my mum is 50 and we all loved our stay at the hotel Cala Bona from 17 to 28 June 2007. The staff were so friendly especially the waiters in the bar who worked very long hours they always had a smile and a joke. Our room over looked the sea front which got a noisy in the evening but it was nothing that a pair of ear plugs couldnt handle. The rooms was clean and was seen to every day. the meals in the restaurant were a bit boring but at least it was good enough to eat. Prices at the bar were very good and service was always with a smile. The waiters would always stop and chat. Entertainment wasn't bad the robbie williams guy was really good and another one who dressed up in different costumers was very funny. This is a fantastic hotel for couples and older people but I wouldn't recommend it to a young family as there is no kids club. The pool is excellent always clean you have to get up early to get a sun bead and brolly or they all go before breakfast. we had to get there at 7 as a few days we missed out. there is a good boad ride company outside the hotel that goes to peuto cristo which has a fantastic beach and the caves del drach lovely light show a must see.

what a fantastic hotel and resort

by TripAdvisor Member frimo

Having just returned from the hotel cala bona after 10-days half board. what can you say it was fantastic.I took my son aged 15,mother aged 73, and myself aged 47.The hotel was very clean staff very friendly and the entertainment every evening was top draw.
The pool was situated on the first floor and is really nice use plenty off sun cream as its a good sun trap for those who want to top up there tan.
The food was excellent and the hotel is situated right on the harbor . You get the best of both worlds with cala millor a five minute walk away along the sea front.If you want a good evening out try sandancers where DJ Fez will keep you entertained with a warm welcome just a two minute walk from the hotel.
We met many people who book for the following year.And I can understand why.Both my son and Mother really enjoyed the holiday.
We met some fantastic people there the atmosphere was very relaxed.To sum up its a hotel and resort for all ages.Regards Mark.

Love This Hotel Year After Year

by TripAdvisor Member lovecalabona

Stayed once again with my mum at the Cala Bona Hotel. This is the 22nd year she has been to this hotel and it was my ninth. We love it and have booked for next year. The staff and management are lovely, most helpful, nothing is too much trouble. The rooms are spotless. The food is buffett style, eat as much as you want, its always hot and plenty of it and the carvery nights are even better. There is something for every taste, salads, hot cold meats etc. This hotel is located in the best spot in Cala Bona, right by the harbour and at night really comes alive. There is varied entertaiment from tribute acts , my favourite being Elvis to singing/entertaiment, something different every night. If you go into the reception each day by the notice board it will tell you who is on that night. You can also get a snack during the day if you need and sit outside by the harbour.
If you want a quieter room ask for the AZUL complex which is a block next to the Consul Hotel although it is still part of the Hotel Cala Bona.

For value for money, the position of the hotel, clean rooms etc I would not consider going anywhere else. Love the resort too. Its completely flat with the shops and restaurants on the sea front.

lovely place!

by TripAdvisor Member StevieBNewcastle

Stayed at the Hotel Cala Bona last summer. Staff were really helpful and bedrooms were comfortable. It's located right on the marina, which has been developed recently. There are loads of shops and restuarants neaby if you fancy a change from the hotel food. I can recommend Bar Argos and the Rope and Anchor for your traditional Sunday lunch! Or if you fancy something cooler, there is a great ice cream kiosk just along the road, that has all sorts of flavours of ice cream!

Just back from the marina and only a short 'drunken' walk away is bar called Sanddancers. It's run by a lovely geordie famiy and is great place for a relaxed and entertaining night out! If you miss home too much you can go and watch the footy there with a pie! (even proper gravy!)

Cala Bona is a lovely resort! Not too busy and not too quiet either. Returning for another visit this year, just can't keep away!

Real Life Basil Fawlty

by TripAdvisor Member happy_traveller123Uk

Cala Bona is a nice little place. Hotel is in a brilliant location - right in the harbour.

The problem with this hotel is the manager, and the effect he has on the hotel.

His staff are lovely and friendly and they’re all trying to do as good a job as they can in the circumstances. However, their jobs are made very difficult by their boss.

We booked a room via Thomson and paid a supplement for a room with a seaview.

Tiny room – Very Noisy
The allocated room was tiny and directly (and I mean directly) above the Cala Bona bar. This is by far the biggest bar in the resort and has extremely loud entertainment until midnight (or after) every night (entertainment = singers who border on loud bad karaoke or bingo followed by 80s style wedding disco).

We work very hard and we primarily go on holiday to relax - so this room really wasn't what we were looking for. It was unbelievably noisy.

We knew the hotel was quite big and far from full so we decided to ask for another room.

Very Difficult Manager (putting it politely)
The manager flatly refused and told us to come back the next day. We couldn't believe it. He just couldn't be bothered to open his book and allocate another room. We hadn't touched a thing in the room we had been given, so it wasn't as if we were causing extra work. He just wanted us to go away. He kept saying that we had booked a room with a sea view and that is what he had given us. We continued to state our case very politely.

Eventually he folded and found a new room for us in a different building. Fine by us it was quiet - that's all we wanted. It had no sea view - but we could live with that. The manager then played a trump card, that we pay a supplement because the room had air con.

Upgrade Fees on upgrade fees
He didn't see that any sort of compromise should be made as we had paid for a room with a sea view and the new room didn’t have one. When we suggested this wasn't really very fair the manager tried to take our key away and threatened to chuck us out of the hotel. He said he only wanted happy customers. It was a really bizarre experience. We paid the second upgrade fee, as we didn't fancy a night’s sleep on the beach. The next morning when we mentioned this to the rep he wasn't at all surprised - clearly the hotel manager has a track record.

Amongst other clever management decisions at this hotel:

AIR CON that is truly a con
Cools the room to 1 degree lower than outside temperature. We asked why the air con didn't seem to work and we were told that the units are set carefully to use less energy. Not only that but the air con units are switched off during the day to reduce the hotel’s electricity bill.

Card swipe keys to enter our building
The magnetic card swipe system was worn out. This meant 5 mins pushing the damn key in and out before the little light went green. Really 5 mins everytime. Everyone in our building found this immensely annoying and many mentioned it to reception but it never got sorted. And I think that all they needed to do was replace a battery!

With regards food:

Warm White wine
Can be served at your table - but don't expect it to be cold - too expensive to keep the chillers working – but fine if you like it at body temperature.

Fresh Fruit!
A wide variety of fruit is available for breakfast. Apart from oranges (which were really good) the fruit options are exclusively over ripe, or so massively under ripe it was ridiculous. Rock hard peaches aren't that nice. But do you go for them or the rotten cherries - it’s a hard call.

Vegetables!
OK so not everyone likes vegetables - but instant mashed potato and mixed vegetables that are so soft they'd drop through a sieve without a push aren't that appealing.

Paella!
Yes they did do a real Spanish dish and it looked fine. But they served up one small platter (suitable for about 5 people) every hour. This was for a restaurant with about 200 people in it.

Puddings
4 different flavours/colours of jelly in massive blocks.

Clearly the budget allocated to the chef isn’t big enough to do things properly.

If you find the comments above hard to believe then I recommend you phone the hotel directly and ask them. I found that all the staff were honest and hard working and I think they will give you an honest answer. If the manager answers the phone I expect you will recognise his hostility, and that will answer your question in its own funny way.

Needless to say we won’t be going back.

Great I loved it --x

by TripAdvisor Member x--baybeegurl--x

This Hotel was fantastic especially for a 3* i had stayed in hotels with 4* across the island and this one put them to shame. I shared my room with my mum and dad they bent over backwards to put an extra bed in our room the food well what can i say B_E_A_U_T_I_F_U_L it was near enough all english same goes for the hotel nearly all the hotel was english. In fact i didn't see any germans there which was highly suprising because it was there peak time when we went. It is catered fully for the english and has really good staff. I loved this hotel in fact i didnt want to leave im definately going back next year.

wonderful location

by TripAdvisor Member pimdo

just got back from this hotel, it was amazing the staff bent over backwards to be helpful some are english, the location overlooks the harbour, my daughter was in a wheelchair and it is all completely flat all the way to cala millor so great for us. bar prices in hotel are very good cheaper than the bars !!! food was average all well cookd and has microwaves if the food is not as hot as you would like. i tried to get sea view room but nnone left sadly as only a few but if you get the chance grab one. rooms wer e big and clean nice big balconies. for a 2 star hotel it is definately a 3 star. would go back again for the location alone. it was very quiet and mostly older people there mostly english but had good laugh with them. so dont expect lively bars there cala millor has little bit more life. weather was great 26 deg but at night you need a thick cardi or jacket as the wind gets up a bit.

Comments