Club Hotel Acorn Almirante Farragut

Orbitz.com Hotels.com Booking.com

Costs 114% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Club Hotel Acorn Almirante Farragut

Almirante Farragut

My familly and I have just returned from our holiday in Menorca staying at the Almirante Farragut.

On arriving we checked in with no problems and found our room easily. The rooms were very clean and had everthing you needed. The rooms were cleaned and beds made every day and towels could be changed every day if required.

The hotel is on a cliff top which has a lovely view. Our only concern was it was a bit unsafe for little ones around the edge as there was only a rope around the edge.

The pool area was lovely and there is a life guard there every day. The pools though are salt water which we didn't like.

My six year old daughter enjoyed the hobby club which is open 10.00 -13.00 and 15.30-17.00. They did handycrafts and games by the pool and a mini disco on the evening.

We found the food to be lovely, lots of choice. We stayed for 10 days and didnt have the same meal twice.

The entertaiment on the evening was ok. The entertainment staff worked very hard from manning the childrens clubs throughout the day through to organising the evening entertainment. They put on several shows while we were there whilst also bringing in outside artists on a few of the evenings.

This hotel caters for familles with young children and also for older couples.

Overall, we had an excellent holiday and wouldn't have a problem with recommending this hotel to anybody.

We really enjoyed our stay at Almirante Farragut

by TripAdvisor Member Keeling

We have just returned from staying at this hotel for one week and we really enjoyed our stay. The hotel was clean, there was a selection of food at breakfast and evening meal and everything we ate tasted nice. It was quiet at night (no noisy revellers coming back at night and making a noise) and also being on a headland always had a breeze when we sunbathed. There were always plenty of sun beds whatever time you went down to the pool so no fighting over putting towels down at 7.00 a.m. in the morning. The staff were all friendly and helpful. You only have about a five minute walk from the hotel to the main bar and restaurant strip and also the local bus stops outside the hotel. We would suggest taking flannels as they supplied towels but not flannels. We also liked the fridge in the room to keep our drinks cool. We would definitely stay here again and would say to anyone thinking of staying here go and enjoy your holiday like we did.

Good staff but..........

Just returned today, after a weeks stay at this hotel. Upon arrival I was given the keys to my room, however wasn't given any directions at all to where it was. There are three lifts at the hotel, however unfortunately they are quite old, and small. During my stay one of the lifts were regulary out of order, and you did sometimes have a lengthy wait, or on many occasions walk up or down the stairs. I had elected to stay half board, however the travel company I had booked with were running a special promotion, which meant I was upgraded to ful board. I agree with the previous review, in my opinion I was disappointed with the quality and the variety of food on offer. Also, the menu was repetitive and the food was not very hot on many occasions. I must however compliment the vast majority of staff, obviously taking into account my first comment. They were very helpful and polite. I did report a fault to my fridge in my room upon arrival, and this was fixed within thirty minutes. The hotel is kept very clean, and my room was made up and cleaned to a high standard everyday. The hotel is in need of refurbishment in places, and is looking tired. Although, the hotel was busy due to it being half term, and at the weekend there was a further influx of Spansih school children, I never struggled to get a sunbed. I think I would of definitely enjoyed my stay a lot more, if the weather had been better. I arrived on a very hot day, however the next four days were dominated by very windy conditions, and it even rained, with little sun, whilst the remaing two days were warm and sunny. I had booked this holiday just for a break in the sun, and although the hotel in no way can be held resonsible for the weather, I was disappointed.The hotel in my opinion would be best suited for older couples, or couples with young children.

Absolutely brilliant hotel.

What a fantastic hotel for the family. We stayed here in June/July 05 and we had a great time. The food was excellent and the entertainment was second to none. You never had to leave the hotel which was great as we had so many kids with us. The only fault I do have with the hotel was the reception staff. They were not very helpful and inclined to be ignorant. At weekends the spanish took over the hotel, but we didn't mind as we were having a good time ourselves to worry. Anyway great place for families. I have booked for next year already couldn't afford to go this year.

not great

Spent 2 weeks with my wife & 3 kids in this hotel in June 2006. Reception staff v unhelpful , restaurant staff excellent. Food very poor . We were on half board but ate out nearly every night.
Nightime entertainment a joke. Felt like I was staying in a home for the retired. Menorca is really nice but find a place that serves decent food.

My best holiday ever

by TripAdvisor Member JonAmy

I have been back from this hotel for not even a week and couldn't wait to post my review to tell everybody how great the place was. We stayed in this hotel for 2 weeks half board and I have to totally disagree with some of the reviews written here, as I thought the food was excellent. There was a buffet breakfast and dinner daily and the food was of the highest quality and always freshly cooked or prepared. There was so much variety that we did not eat our evening meal out of the hotel for one day whilst we were there! I was even looking forward to the meals after the first few days! I think the hotel was very modern and clean and the staff were very helpful and polite. The cove next to the hotel with a beach was very cute and never busy. The shallow waters next to the beach were very warm and safe for children to paddle in. The weather was excellent for the whole two weeks (temperatures between 27 and 32 degress celcius) and only cloudy on 2 mornings. We went as a couple, and as long as your aim on holiday isn't to go clubbing every night, it is such a peaceful and relaxing place to go. There was always so much going on in the hotel in the way of activities both for children and adults and they were clearly advertised. Our room was modern and very clean and as the hotel is on a headland, all rooms have a seaview (of some description) with a balcony to view it from. The resort of cala n forcat was also great, not too busy or rowdy (even though we were there when the world cup was on!), with a great choice of restaurants and bars. This was an amazing holiday and this was mostly due to the perfect hotel and resort that we chose.

Great! ... If you are Spanish!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Raccoon871

Booked a Thomson 4T late deal, and not too happy to be put in a 3 star Acorn hotel. Despite having a 5 year old with us, we were put on the top floor with a 60ft drop to the carpark, and after requesting a lower room were offered a 1st floor room with a 60ft drop to the rocks! Reception staff were in the main helpful, with one exception, who always served Spanish guests first, whether they were stood to your right, left, or even behind you! He actually went for lunch in the middle of filling in my form to rent a bicycle! The pool seemed a bit of an oddity to us, the kids pool is 50cm deep ( waist high for our little one) but the other pool is 160cm at the shallow end! so not much use gained from these, also, all pools are salt water, there are rather nice showers around them, but these are salt water too!
Food is buffet style, plentiful, and reasonably well presented, but assume that the hotel had had a bulk order of hake delivered, as it was on every night! Very little choice on the kids section though. Must say that dining room staff, and bar staff could not do enough for you, they were a highlight of the holiday, and probably the best I've encountered. Beach is small, accessed via steps through a very picturesque 18 hole mini golf course which was surprisingly underused, but once there ,it was great for our little one who could wade well out without getting out of his depth, and loved catching the numerous fish, shrimps, and crabs. There is a lifeguard , and a flag warning system (yellow for jellyfish, but only seen twice in our fortnight) quite impressive for such a small beach! No sunbed or brolly rentals, and the Spaniards don't seem to use the beach until after 5pm.
The resort of Cala'n Forcat is typical of the area, various bars, restaurants, and gift shops, but not enough to fill a fortnight, so recommend, car hire, and local bus service, which was efficient, cheap, and stops outside the hotel entrance. 1 euro 30 to Ciutadela is a bargain, lovely place to visit., and you can still get back well into the night! We were helped by 40 degree temperatures for our full stay, not a drop of rain to be seen, and perhaps my rating is a little harsh on the hotel, but having seen all of the 4T options in the Thomson brochure, this was not on a par with any of them. Other info.. A doctor visits the hotel daily at 9.30am ish,and is very, very efficient, but be aware if you haven't got insurance, as he is from a private healthcare company! If you have teenage kids the sports facilities are fantastic. The Airtoursrep Hayley was a gem! Yes, I know we were with Thomson, but she was there more than ours!, be adventurous with the food, some of the odd sounding dishes were surprisingly good, and if the little Spanish guy is on reception be prepared to wait!

You have been warned..........

by TripAdvisor Member RachelCT

My partner and i booked a 4T late Thomson deal at the start of July and, unfortunatley for us, ended up here.

The hotel is an official 3* rating and, having stayed in some wonderful 3* hotels in the past, can safely say this hotel does not merit such a rating.

The decor in the hotels and rooms was very tired and worn...paint peeling off the walls etc.

The food was inedible, we booked a half board deal and ate out alost every night of the holiday due to the poor quality of the food.

The staff were very rude; the restaurant staff especially.....on one particular instance we had a member of staff literally chasing after us in the restaurant because we weren't sat where 'we were allowed'.

The pool area is very small compared to the size of the hotel, as is the beach area. The hotel in general i would say is not really suitable for young children or the elderly due to the positioning (on a cliff top) and the number of steps and narrow pathways surrounding it.

The resort of cala'n'forcat is like blackpool...lots of english pubs, even a [---] dancing bar! We found one decent restaurant at the end of the 'strip' towards cala'n'blanes beach which was nice but the rest were all full english breakfasts, chip shops etc.

If you want a home abroad this place is perfect for you, if you want to feel like you're on holiday, use the bus stop outside the hotel (the only saving grace!), and explore the nicer parts of the island.

As far as our experience with Thomson as a travel company..if you want honest brochure representation i would recommend you went to another company!!

Excellent food - shame about the Head Waiters!

by TripAdvisor Member Paul99

My partner and I stayed in this hotel for two weeks in early July 2006. There is a little picturesque cove on the hotel's door step which is excellent, especially if you don't like large and busy beaches. The waters are very clean and clear and there are plenty of fish. The cove is also very quiet and ideal for relaxing, taking a swim or paddling about.

Overall we both found the hotel to be good, with good facilities such as a supermarket, hairdressers and sports club. The food was excellent, with a good choice everyday, however, we were disappointed to find that even though we had paid for half board there were no drinks available at dinner time, we were even refused water by the Head Waiter! The orange and apple juice machine which was always functioning at breakfast time always bore the sign "No functiona" in the evening.

The majority of the staff were friendly and very helpful save for the two headwaiters who we found to be extremely rude and biased towards the spanish speaking guests. On several occasions the spanish speaking guests were seated before us despite the fact that they were behind us in the queue and were always greated fondly by the Head Waiters, in comparision to the hostility which was received by ourselves. On one occasion the Head Waiter shouted at my partner and I because we were going to sit in the wrong area of the reataurant, you will note that another review (below) decribes a very similar experience! We would like to stress that the other waiters in the restaurant were very friendly.

As for the resort of Cala Forcat itself, we found it to be OK as a base but there was not really much to do for couples and a lot of the bars and restaurants were very commercial with an English theme, however, we did enjoy going to a Mexican restaurant, the name of which has slipped our minds, which served up excellent spicy beef tortilla wraps. Another place we would recommend visiting is the city of Cuitadella which you can catch a bus to right outside the hotel and is only a ten min ride away. Cuitadella is a lovely place, with lots of excellent bars and restaurants by the picturesque port and several small cafes serving up gorgeous coffees with gigantic fresh cream cakes. A word of warning though, the shops all close after 1:30 and do not open again until after 4:00. All in all we both had a lovely relaxing holiday relaxing in the cove and visiting Cuitadella for icecreams and cream cakes and would say the only down side was the Head Waiters in the hotel restaurant!

We want to repeat !!!!

by TripAdvisor Member bcngirl2

First sorry for my english, so is not my mother language. I am from Barcelona.
I arrived to Almirall Farragut beucase we had booked an appartment in Sto Tomas ( south of menorca ) and they had over-booking, for compensating us they send us there and gave us for free the dinner and breakfast.
After the surprise they paid us a ride by taxi to Almirall Farragut and after the experience, 1 week there, I can say that we are thinknig to go there again next summer.
The Hotel is mostly spanish-english language, so all animation team can treat you with both language, even italian and german. Animation team is great, they are totally polifacetics, they can be playing with children, dancing in the mini disco very enthusiastically and one hour later making a show for the rest of guest dancing as professionals. Their behaviour is so animated that a person like me that does not like water too much can be joining a aqua gym session in the pool during 40 minutes!!! They are absolutely friendly with all people and greats you every where you find them. A schedule very well perfomed let you see several shows never repeated in a fortnight!!! My daughter is 4, and we could join almost everything with her.
Food is another thing I would mention, The buffe is extremely good, a special bufe for children with a furniture special for them to reach is also a good idea,so they can serve themselves and learn to be independent. Once a week they celebrate the italian corner and the different pasta and sauces you can taste are sensacional. Once there was a marinated salmon that was superb!!!! Pleople there was very helpful, looking for high chairs when needed without telling them.
And quiet, is also the most,,, such a big hotel and the walls, staff and shows let you sleep and take a nap. Finally,,, I can say,,, I will repeat I am sure

Comments