La Mar s/n, Ciudadela, 07760, Spain
Booking.com Travelocity Tingo.com

Costs 72% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Menorca Sea Club

Great Holiday for the Kids But Cleanliness of Apartment Emm??

by TripAdvisor Member Jokerr

Menorca - Sea Club Aparthotel - Excellent for the Kiddies

Just returned from a 2 week holiday at the above named apartments.
Well, before going like you are doing I read the reviews on what to expect. Sometimes not the best idea as can put a damper on your holiday - before even getn there.
What to really expect; - On arrival double check what drop off from the airport as we were the last this meant 9 drop off's. What could have been a 40 min journey ended up over an hour and half - get a taxi if you have young kiddies.
The accommodation looked great on arrival, pool areas - fantastic, reception area, small not a problem though nice enough, bar etc good, splash park for the children - amazing. My little boy 20 months - absolutely loved it.
Rooms - reviews on this before going were not very good regarding cleanliness. This is the case. Don't get me wrong they look fine I would never say they look 4 star though, 2-3 star, just a basic apartment. We had a travel cot, I worried bout the state this would be must say absolutely immaculate, and I'm very particular. Cleanliness of rooms in fortnight - not good. When we arrived there was a horrible smell, opened windows but this still lingered. Floors looked like they hadn't been swpet or washed since last people had been there. Balls of hair on the floor. This is what caused the smell. Reported 3 times to Assistant Manager and Main Housekeeper they couldn't believe it when shown, assured would be cleaned. 3 times still was not done. Ended up 2 weeks there think floors got swept once and that wiz round and about not under beds or chairs etc. Thats what caused the smell. We had this smell for two weeks.
Must say though that was the only bad point. The actual place itself it you have young children was fantastic. All the staff were extremely friendly, wasn't very keen on reps. Food was good at bar area for snacking never actually had a meal there at night but heard comments it was good. Not very cheap though.
10 min walk to all shops and retaurants, great there for the kids everywhere has bouncy castle, trampolines, quad bikes. The kids will love it. Also had a 15 yr old, she was pretty bored as mainly for young ones.
Anyway if you have already booked then hope I haven't put you off cause it is a great place just the cleanliness of the room floors I hated but hopefully you wont have this problem.
I probably would go back here for the sake of my son he totally loved it the pool areas are fantastic.

great for families

by TripAdvisor Member 123culver

just returned from a weeks stay at the sea club, what a great place for young families.

we stayed in A block which is located next to the stage and in front of the pool and kiddies splash area. brill location if you have little ones who need a siesta! while our children slept, we could put our sunbeds right outside the door and listen for when they woke up. also you can sit on your balcony or veranda and watch the entertainment when they are asleep at night.

we had a ground floor apartment, as our 2 year old would have given me heartattack with a balcony! these are great, only draw back is they are not enclosed, so if you have a bit of an escapee like we do, you can't really open your doors when inside.

apartment nice, and we DID have a kettle!! has all you would need for self catering holiday. we slept on pull out bed in lounge and kiddies in bedroom. pull out, not themost comfortable, but ok

entertainment was ok-reps tried really hard (although their singing wasn't up to much!) lots to do if you wanted but no one pressurising you to join in.

went into town every night for food CUORE was really good- kids loved the menu, they get crayons and colouring to do while your waiting. my husband loved the ribs and the pizza's were good.
this is situated at the end of the strip near the aqua park.

weather was great, cloudy first 2 days, which the locals said was very unusual. but sunny and very hot for the rest of the time. the sea club gets a lovely breeze as its right on the coast, so making it much more bearable. not at all chilly though.

staff in bar lovely, my daughter spilt her drink 4 times in there! and they still smiled and said it was ok!

supermarkets plentifull, not a lot of price difference. on site one is probably more expensive but we used it for basics i.e milk, bread

alll in all, i would rate this a top holiday for families with oyung children. we would go back again.

brilliant!

by TripAdvisor Member hoops67

first time we've stayed at the sea club, but 7th year overall in the resort,this place is the top dog of all the other places we have been at,clean, fabulous views, great for kids,already booked up for 2008!

Sea club

by TripAdvisor Member digzi

The Sea Club Apartments where a good place to stay for families with young children, the entertainment was pretty poor however young children just love the attention from the reps but they sang and danced to the same music EVERY night, and then the entertainment later on in the night where quite boring and cheap.
The apartments there self where lonley even the though the kettle didnt turn its self of and the littlest crumb dropped caused a flooding of ants hogging it ( i no this is my fault for dropping the crumbs but the younger children can not help it ) . They where quite clean and had clean towles and sheets changed regualy.
The most disappointing thing for me and my family where there wasnt a beach! There were 2 small beaches which could fit about 10 people on and they were rather dissapointing as well. In the brouchure it says see view and lovley beaches, but i didnt feel as if there where lovley beaches and the only sea view had a huge drop.
Overall i think the apartments and complex where ok and are good for families who want a QUIET holiday, but i shall take this time to thank Sea Club for giving me and my family a good holiday and i will recomend it to my oler children to go with there youngsters.

Great for kids

by TripAdvisor Member C1A1R3

Please dont be put off by a lot of the reviews on here and on other sites. It seems that the main concerns raised that I have read (that did put me off before we went) were to do with the following...
Standard of rooms - not fantastic and I would agree that they are really only of about 2-3star standard. Many people say that they were dirty however this was not the case for us or the other 2 rooms in our party. There was a smell though and it seemed to come from the wardrobe (!) think it was the formica that it was made with and it was quite strong (take one of those little airfreshners with you to put in there).
The facilities in the room were excellent - all rooms have a big airer for putting clothes, towels etc on (I wouldn't have taken so many clothes had I of known)
Some people in reviews are moaning about "shared balconies".... Yes they are but it is not how you would imagine - you completely have your own space, and is just like any other terrace/balcony but without the barrier. This really is not a problem at all and you only have 1 'neighbour' because they are set into blocks of 2 up and 2 down.
I would definitely say we were in the best block - block B.
The distance into the 'town' - this really is not a problem - maximum 10 minute stroll which I think is perfect for walking off your dinner!! lit up well enough and usually other people about walking to and from the complex.
The facilities on site are outstanding for little ones. My son is 3 years old and my nephew 20 months - they LOVED the play park, pools and splash park.
My daughter is 3 months and was provided with an immaculate travel cot and the bedding was changed very regularly with lovely baby bedding.
Towel changes weren't frequent enough for my liking but apart from that no problem.
If you dont have children then be warned, you will probably hate it - I know I would have if it wasn't for our kids because everythin in the resort is so set up for them - trampolines, bouncy castles etc etc. Restaurants are good but all have the same menu. Best ones were Les Delfines and cuore, worst ones Chinese and haiti. If you want to experience really good food, go to the town of Ciutadella - only 7 euros in the taxi and about 6 mins away. Beautiful place (this is where Catherine Zeta Jones and Michael Douglas regularly holiday) with fab restaurants in the harbour. Not cheap but more 'adult' and much more like the kind of food you would expect from an old town.
All in all we had a fantastic time. I would definitely go there again, purely for the facilities for the children (didn't experience any of the entertainment so cant comment on that). However, if I were to return, I would spend most of my evenings in Ciutadella.
The Small Family

Sea Club good, resort poor

by TripAdvisor Member diccus

This accommodation is excellent for families with children i'd suggest up to about 12 years old. The apartments are small but functional. Cleaning was a bit hit and miss, approx every 2/3 days. Reception were brilliant. for the first three days we were in Block A very close to the stage and we like to read at night once the children are in bed. As the entertainment went on till nigh on midnight this wasn't possible. They moved us to the quieter Block B within a couple of days. Swimming pools are excellent and would highly recommend the swim instructor who helped our little boy come on dramatically with his confidence in the water. Kids club needs sessions booking in advance and ours enjoyed maybe a couple of hours a day away from us. They were very friendly and enthusiatic with the children. Our older boy was not impressed with the older kids club which seem to focus around football and didn't seem well organised. He gave up after the first attempt. Two of our children (and the child in the next apartment) had ear infections from the pool. I would question it's hygiene and suggest children, particularly young ones wear ear plugs.

Entertainment in our opinion was in the evenings very hit and miss. One night there was a Queen tribute band which was good and other 'bought in' entertainment was ok. The 'First Choice' entertainers worked very hard with quizzes, bingo and other things. Bless them the quality of their 'shows' was poor but other families seemed to enjoy it. Music blasting in the cafe area at lunchtime was over bearing.

Food in the cafe/bar area was of v average quality. We stuck to Tuna/egg sandwiches and ham/cheese. We had a couple of pizzas from the restaurant (take away) which were really good.

We thought the resort as a whole was 'scutty' and in need of updating. The only restaurant we could recommend was 'Coure' on the main drag. It was consistently good with fresh food, effecient waiters and pleasant environment. It's really busy after 8pm and takes awhile to get served, but very good.

Other resaurants - Los Delfinos - Children had 'Fish' fingers at lunchtime and were both violently sick by teatime. Didn't return. 'The forum' - ok. 'Giovanni's' which is recommended elsewhere in these reviews was very poor and the food not far from inedible, my chicken was swimming in oil/water. Yuck(a) was just that. The bouncy castle was half inflated, our table was dusty. The waiter brought the wrong order, then returned with a 'chicken' burger which was a hamburger and stomped off in a huff when we returned it. Avoid.

Supermarket on site is fine, but others off site are cheaper.

Citadella, close by is well worth a visit for a more cosmopolitan view of Menorca.

Yet another GREAT family holiday !!

by TripAdvisor Member APT370

Our second visit to the Sea Club and after last year's "excellent" holiday our expectations were high!

Positive points:

As returning guests, upon our arrival we were presented with a bottle of champagne courtesy of the management.

Some other reviews suggest that the First Choice Entertainment Reps aren't up to much but we strongly DISAGREE with those comments. The Entertainment reps were absolutely fantastic!! They gave 110% all day - every day (If you want a 1st class show I suggest you go to the West End). Our young daughter sliced her hand open whilst there & it was the entertainment reps that came to the rescue. Although they couldn't administer first aid themselves (something about it being against company policy) they quickly got the on-site first aid guy & kept enquiring if she was okay during the rest of our stay. Their were 4 reps when we arrived but one left so we were left with Fran, Emma & Samara who did a superb job fulfilling the entertainment schedule seeing that they were a man down. The Queen & ABBA tribute bands were also very good.

Lots of sun beds.

Friendly reception/bar staff.

Air conditioned rooms which were a god send.

Onsite food was average but just about worth its money.

No other resort drop offs so it was only a 40 min transfer from the airport.

Negative Points:

Room cleaning has improved but could be better. Some days our room was immaculate & others it was... well put it this way, you could hardly notice that the maid had even been in! Also, toilet rolls must be expensive in Menorca because they often failed to leave us any.

Expensive poor quality beer (3.55€ for a so-called pint??)

Poolside music blasting out at full volume on some days which was most annoying.

The on-site supermarket prices have almost doubled since last year!! I recommend you go to the Vistamar supermarket just 5 mins down the road as it'll save you a small fortune.

Resort:

Many restaurants/pubs etc.. to choose from. I suppose it comes down to your own matter of taste/opinion, for example, a couple of previous reviews have recommended 'Coure'. My wife had pizza & the kids had 'kiddies meals' & they were impressed. I opted for the fillet steak (17€) which resembled a small pebble and tasted horrible + a long wait. 'Bianco' was excellent when it came to fresh food, good portions & a family friendly atmosphere - the same can be said for Castaways. Tried Forum but we were not impressed at all.

Not much of a beach in Cala'n Forcat so we jumped on a bus to Cala'n Bosch (2.15€) which had a good beach & lovely harbour full of bars, restaurants & shops.

Overall = 8/10

good for kids

by TripAdvisor Member teeWalsall

we stopped here for 1 week and that was enough!! the bed we slept in gave us terrible back pain by the end of the week and my husband even slept on the sofa to give his back a rest!....the room was very basic...no kettle, no oven just a few glass', cultery and hand towel etc...
when reading another review it mentioned the "cliff" by the appartments and that it wasnt safe for children but it is not that bad at all....it is about 15-20 min walk into calan forcat....which after the third day our legs were killing!! there is suppose to be a train but it never came.....there is a handful a shops and mainly restruants and childrens bouncy castle things and trampolines but other than that theres not much to do..... there is a small beach but it was too steap to go down with 3 little ones!!!
there was entertainment in calan forcat but not where the kids stuff is so we didnt go and the entertainment onsite was ok for the kids disco but not after that as it was quizzes on bingo...
by the end of the week we were bored and glad to get back home!

Not Happy

by TripAdvisor Member cintodublin

Myself and my family stayed here for 2 weeks and all was going okay until one night there was a quiz... One question in the quiz was, What is the name of the day after Xmas?, So been Irish we put down St. Stephens Day, and were told this was incorrect. We preceded to tell the Rep that this was the name of the day in Ireland when he bluntly told us that we were wrong as they only catered for British People.. I could not believe my ears.. I told him if that was the case he should have worded his question differently and said In England what is the day after Xmas called?
He was not apologetic about this at all and simply fobbed us of. I can assure you I will not be returning and fully intend to let anyone I know considering this place that they should not go...
The brochure does not say oh by the way we only cater for British and we only take Sterling!!!!!! No way does it. I dont think this Reps employer would be happy with his comments!!!! Wont be going back there, An expensive mistake!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Beautiful sunsets. Great for families with young children.

by TripAdvisor Member Sugarspunsister

Sea Club is a great place to go on holiday if you have a young family. - Kids club - Excellent: girls work hard and keep smiling all day!
Entertainment staff: hard working, its a shame that they are not just a tad more versatile with the evening performances but they a good for a laugh and appreciate that they are not superstars!!! (First Choice could perhaps arrange more 'professional' acts to visit to give these kids a bit more of a break) - they did do the same quiz twice and we were asked not to join in on the second night (a bit disappointing for the children).

Swimming instructor - lovely, but damaged her knee mid way through our stay so my little girl missed out on the last three swimming lessons because First Choice couldn't supply a replacement instructor. We received a refund for the outstanding lessons, but it did mean that she missed out on receiving her certificate and hat that she was looking forward to.

Reception staff/bar staff all lovely and very helpful. My son cut his toe in the pool and reception staff took a look at pool immediately, sending out the caretaker - there were no more problems in this area. Rep filled out accident report and said to let her know if any further probs.

Cleaning: sporadic - I think it depends upon the whether (no its not a spelling error) ie "whether" the girl could be bothered! - the room was clean to begin with, but sometimes the cleaner only came to make the beds that I'd already made. (?) - To be fair we had clean towels 4 times in our 2 week stay and bedding change twice.

Sea Club itself - fantastic space/pools/splash play area/kids facilities/ sun beds for everyone - most mornings we'd wonder down at 10am and get 4 beds together no problem.

B Block, very quite - this is where we stayed. In fact the cliff edge (not as dramatic or scary as it sounds) location meant that it was so peaceful, we were never disturbed by late night revellers/traffic etc. The road on which the apts are built is a dead end and therefore has very little traffic.

Sunsets - The best in Menorca. Not to be missed. Worth staying in one night and enjoying some Mahon cheese and Rioja rather then visiting the restaurants in town (not many good ones).

Its not an unpleasant stroll into town (it really takes NO more than 10 minutes and thats with a slow walking 4 year old, so those people who are able bodied and under the age of 60 should be ashamed of themselves for moaning, as it really is a great way to walk off all that food and beer!!!) especially interesting passing all the spanish families enjoying their gardens in the villas at nightime.

Calan Forcat is not a resort I would return to as its has little to offer in the way of good restaurants and beaches (don't stay here if you like the beach as there isn't one!)

If you could pick Sea Club up and remove it to another resort I would return.

Comments