3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Costs 23% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

More about Barcelo Ponent Playa

Lovely island

by TripAdvisor Member Harnser

I have just returned from the Hotel Barcelo Ponent Playa in Cala D'Or where I spent a week with my elderly mother. The hotel was only about one third full but I was allocated a room with the worst view possible, it was of the back of the reception canopy. I feel this may have been because I had single use of a double room but it was so unecessary.
The food was very good and the small bay near the hotel very pretty.
When I arrived my toilet had the usual disinfected sash around the toilet seat but the toilet had not even been flushed!
Cala D'Or at the beginning of May was just opening up, it must have been very quiet before then with one or two shops and a few restaurants.
We travelled with Saga holidays and most of the hotel guests were retired people. We didn't sample any of the entertainment but were not disturbed by noise.
Overall the hotel was pleasant and the holiday good value for money.

Busy but not too bad

by TripAdvisor Member Gailcbuk

We went to Majorca - Cala D Or second week in September 2006 and stayed at Barcelo Ponent Playa Hotel. We booked through Travel City Direct.

TCD - When booking I received very good customer service, after paying I heard nothing, I had to request over 5 times for some form of receipt/itinerary. I eventually had to write a complaint letter and then finally I received some sort of confirmation. I then had a very difficult time trying to book seats on the flight. I would never book with Travel City Direct again unless I really had to.

The hotel for a 3 star was good, bad points:
Restaurant - when going for meals it was a nightmare, I was physically pushed out of the way by grown English men who wanted to get to the food. You first of all had to search for a table, then wait forever for the table to be cleared, then wait forever to be offered a drink, then fight to get some food on your plate - it was very off putting. The food however when you did get it was nice for a 3 star.
Beach - the beach by the hotel is packed, I think no matter what time of the year you go it is always packed, like sardines in a tin, even out of season.
Overall I think the Ponent Playa is a good value for money hotel and would recommend it if you had a tight budget or just wanted a cheap holiday with the kids.

Problems with theft

by TripAdvisor Member nemofish

We arrived at this hotel in the early hours of the morning - after a quick nap we locked all of our valuables away but left the camera out. We realised this when we were leaving the room, but decided it would be ok and laughed how we were stereotyping.

We later returned to our room and the room had been cleaned, and the camera was nowhere to be seen. Laughter stoped.

After searching the room, bags, pockets we went to log our 'incident' with the reception staff who were completely unhelpful and bordered on rude.

So that was the first day...not a great start.

The food was canteen-like at best and the choice repetitive. No effort had been made with presentation and took me back to school dinners. We were half board, but chose to eat out several times - make of that what you will.

The pool is tiny, 20 meters in length which makes it smaller than the average leisure centre, it is also pretty uninspiring being just a plain old rectangle.

I must say it was fine for us though, we had to get up at 8:00am in order to get a place by the pool, but it was pleasant enough and there was bar close by. However I imagine in school terms this would be impossible to live with, it's a very small area for a hotel of this size and must become incredibly full.

The sea seems to have problems with jellyfish which forces more people too the small pool.

From the little we saw, the entertainment wasn't up to much and didn't seem very popular.

The hotels saving grace is the location; it's on a very pretty beach and very close to local amenities. Despite the theft and food, we had a pleasant time in the hotel and the resort in general - however I certainly wouldn't return to this hotel.

It's also worth noting it is a SAGA hotel, which means 90% of the clientele are old ladies.

Overall, if your young you will be bored, if you have a family you will be cramped, but if your over 70 you'll probably be very happy here so long as you lock everything of value away in a safe.

liked the hotel shame about the food

by TripAdvisor Member mallorcagirl

we are not travellers who find fault for no reason but we must say the food in this hotel was not to the standard we expect from a three star hotel For a start there was always a shortage of tables what ever time you went to the restaurant. we felt sorry for the staff as they were working under pressure, a few more staff might have made a difference. Re the food we notice that some people thought the food was great, which we find puzzling. Admittedly there was plenty of it none of which was hot and I'm sorry fried ham for breakfast is something we could never get used to.!
have no fault with any of the staff the reception staff especially were very helpful but we won't be rushing back

brillant

by TripAdvisor Member diamond30

The hotel is set on cala ferrera beach which is a small cove it is beautiful. The cala d'or area is really good no matter what your age. The hotel staff are really great , the food was really good and had lots of choice at both breakfast and evening meal. The hotel has 4 great bars and the drinks are not over priced. A fantastic holiday and we will book this hotel again next year.

Disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member Kirkmoor

Having read some of the favourable reveiws for this hotel we decided to give it a go. We were soon disappointed the room was basic but clean & was kept clean the whole time we were there. At meal times it was chaos in the dining room several times we had to stand by a table & wait for the dining room staff to clear it. The food was just awful the worst we have experiened on the many holidays we have had, Entertainment very poor, Would not go back.

Great location, but some things we weren't happy with.

by TripAdvisor Member Grasscutter

Having read the reviews, thought I would insert our thoughts. The Hotel is in a great location, next to a lovely beach. We went mid October, before our half term. Unfortunately other parts of Europe, especially Germany, seem to break up a week earlier, so lots of chidren in Hotel, also lots of Spanish. Saga were there too, but this didn't cause us any problems.

We had three prinicpal complaints:

1. Whilst the food was ok, nothing special, the restaurant at times was bedlam. There seemed to be a shortage of restaurant staff, so tables were slow to be cleared and reset at times - some people took to setting their table themselves to save time:

2. Whilst we thought the pool area was very nice, unfortunately constant pop music blaring out from the bar was a nuisance: and

3. The floors in the hotel corridors were completely tiled, so people and luggage moving in and out of the Hotel at all hours caused disturbance to us several times. Having said all this, it didn't spoil our week too much, but it would have been better perhaps if we had gone slightly earlier in October

J Hunt Nottingham

Clean and comfortable but busy

by TripAdvisor Member hol2be

Hotel is in a good location (Cala Ferrera) and easy walking distance to Cala D'Or (20 mins) where the best nightlife is. We went early October and noticed the hotel is very much geared towards Saga and also seems to take an influx of Spanish families at weekends during Sept/Oct. This makes the busy restaurant pandamonium and I agree with other reviews that there are not enough tables to cope with the demand. On a positive note the beach is lovely and if you go off season - May/June/Oct, it is less busy and the beach and the sea is wonderful. The rooms were small but with lovely views (if you ask for a sea view), and it was very clean. The pool area was too busy and I think too small for the size of the hotel.

Overall the hotel was pleasant, and I would go back as long as it was off season, and more for the location and because I like Cala D'Or. If you go there make sure you get to the Marina at the other side of Cala D'Or as it is great for a walk during the day, and more especially for an evening meal where you can watch the boats go by. Allow a 35 min stroll to get there.

Good location

by TripAdvisor Member TheTruth12

Went there last year , good location for a nice beach on your doorstep though crowded in August as is the pool . (get up early to join the queue of people with towels for beds around the pool).

Hotel did allinclusive although glad we were half board because the lager was foul. Rooms are average for Spain but we got a ground floor room which had a view of a brick wall .

Hotel is in the quiet end of cala dor with only a few bars and resturants nearby.I would recommend this hotel if only for the good location to the beach, but would avoid in peak seaon.

If you like good food and quality lager I can stongly recommend Scooners Bar at the other end of the resort near the marina. the hosts are english and most welcoming.

Beautiful Views

by TripAdvisor Member gilb20

I stayed at this hotel for a week on 19th May with my partner. The room was lovely, although we were overlooking the entertainment, which is very repetitive and gets slightly annoying!!!!

The hotel has a nice bar which overlooks the bay and is just beautiful, I had a facial on the beach from a very friendly chinese lady, she is so nice, not at all pushy for 20euros, it was so relaxing. The sunbeds are a bit pricey at 12Euros for two.

I wasn't very keen on the breakfast, but this didn't bother me as there are some other breakfast places around the resort, we actually went to the same one everyday! The dinner at the hotel was much better, although very crowded, it is as if people are starving so pushing you out of the way for food!! - Very gud variety of food though and the cakes were brilliant. Another thing with the hotel, I think there were only 5 or 6 ppl under 60 in this hotel, so it seems very popular with OAPs.

All in all, we had a brilliant time, the weather was hot, but the resort is a quiet place with nice bars and boutiques if that's your thing. I think next time i'll be going to Cala D'or, not Cala Fererra or somewhere with a bit more to it, but I must say it really is a beautiful, beautiful place.

Puig Sant SalvadorPuig Sant Salvador