Urb Playa de Santa Galdana, Cala Galdana, 07750, Spain

Costs 232% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Sol Gavilanes

Great family holiday

by TripAdvisor Member cmadsouza

We went to the Sol Gavilanes with our two children aged 3 and 4. This is the first time we have been to Menorca.

Sol Gavilanes is excellent because it is situated right on the beach. This is good for families with young children because you can nip back to the hotel for a drink or go to the loo (or if you have forgotten something!). The beach is beautiful. The water was warm, shallow and calm. The sand was white and fine. The view from the hotel balcony is breathtaking.

The food was a little repetitive but there was so much variety that you could eat something different every day. Lots of seafood. The kids loved the desserts (15 different varieties).

All in all, an excellent hotel with friendly staff and in an excellent location.

Service with a Smile?

by TripAdvisor Member IanMorris

This was our fourth visit to the lovely isle of Menorca and our second 2 week stay at the Sol Gavilanes in Cala Galdana.

An excellent location with the back door of the hotel straight out on to the beach.

Good sized, clean rooms with towels and bedding changed regularly with a mix of entertainment (if you want to see it) during the evening outside on the Terrace.

The rather military style timing for meals was OK although the food choice was not scintilating. Good prompt service at meal times but with few smiles! Maybe it was too near the end of the season. Avis hire car rep based in hotel not totally organised so do make sure your arrangements are all confirmed before you go.

All in all, a hotel worth recommending (and clean) and you can also use the internet for 3 euro per hour.

rest and relaxation

by TripAdvisor Member Tanlash

Just spent a great week at the Sol Gavilanes with my partner and 20 month old daughter.

The hotel was outstanding. Very clean and friendly staff who are always'happy to help'. The rooms are a decent size and have all the amenties you will need for your stay. They are cleaned regularly.

The resturant is ,again, clean and tidy and the choice of food is amazing - you cannot help to find your favourite dish there. The staff are helpful and made a real fuss over our daughter and we wanted for nothing.

The bar is situated at the top of the hotel and there is a terrance there for you to enjoy while having your favourite tipple.

the hotel backs onto the beach which, again, is clean and tiday. The hiring of sin beds and paparsols is a bit pricey( 8 euro each and 5 euro) so maybe invest in a couple of lilo's for your beach time. The sea is calm and inviting.

Night time is quiet time with a few bars and resturants so if you want party time then this is not the place for you. If itis rest and relaxation you are after then this is just the ticket.

People we spoke to come back year after year and you can see why. We will be coming back again next year.

Not What We Expected

by TripAdvisor Member 6-TRIPS-A-YEAR

Never having stayed at a Sol Melia hotel before last year, we had been very pleasantly surprised with Sol Gaudaloupe in Magaluf and then Sol Koraj in Croatia in April this year. Whilst at the latter, a high-level hotel inspection was taking place and I asked one of the participants who was Spanish as to which hotel in the Balearics would be his choice. He said that he had not long since spent a week at the Sol Gavilanes in Menorca and thought it superb.
Well, on that basis we, (as 2 couples) booked immediately and since the previous 2 hotels had been rated as 3 star by Sol Melia and this was a four star we really had been looking forward to it.
IT IS NOT A 4 STAR - COMPARED WITH THOSE STAYED AT PREVIOUSLY IT IS A 2 STAR!! Apart from salads, I cannot understand anyone rating the food in this hotel as even "good". Our collective opinion is that it was extremely poor.
APART FROM THAT - WE HAD A GREAT TIME 'CAUSE WE MADE IT SO. GO OUT TO THE OTHER HOTELS FOR ENTERTAINMENT - EXCELLENT!

Closest to the beach: impossible!

by TripAdvisor Member jalfez

This is a very good hotel for families, provided that, if you have kids over 3-4 years old and teenagers, they don't need much activities to have fun.

The best of it is the location: direct access to the beach (one of the best in Menorca) from the hotel.

Food is OK in variety but too much repetitive. At the end of the third day you've tasted all. The quality, however, is medium-low for being spanish food. There're restaurants in the town very close to the hotel, but they all serve the same kind of take-away food.

If you just want to lay down, have a quiet holiday in a beautifil beach, this is your place, specially if you have children under 3 years old. There're are cradles at the rooms, special chairs at the restaurant, small playground at the baby's pool and so on.

Renting a car for a day might be a good idea if you want to visit Mahon (nice) or go shopping to any of the numerous leather outlets in the island (local manufacturers are very well known all over the world).

Relaxing Holiday

by TripAdvisor Member Vallets

This the third time in four years we have stayed at the Gavilanes hotel.
The hotel is super, but one area which needs to be reviewed is the pool.
There are no bar or toilet facilities, making it necessary walking in sometimes wet clothes to either buy a drink or snack and, to use the toilet, through the bar and reception areas.
This is something that does seem to need addressing, as the pool itself is of a good size!
The food, for a large buffet style restaurant, we found very good especially the 'Italian' section, and the childrens buffet certainly kept our son well fed!!
The room, although on the small side for 3 people, was always clean and tidy.
The evening entertainment was very good, and there were different acts every night!
We would definately recommend this hotel for families, as there is something for everyone, from the kids club for the 5 to 12 year olds, to organised activities for the older members!!
The location is stunning, and we shall be returning!!!

Total chill out experience

by TripAdvisor Member thincat

We have just returned from Cala Galdana, having had a very relaxing week. The hotel and island of Menorca provided us with the perfect place to do nothing, but sunbathe for a week. The hotel itself is very clean. Food we found to be of an excellent quality. Our one complaint would be the staff who we found generally to be unfriendly and surly - one waitress being extremely rude to us in the dining room.

The sea is clear and fantastic for swimming in. Sunbed prices are outrageous - it cost us over £100 to have sunbeds and a brolly for a week.

Nice quiet resort, ideal for a stroll in the evening. Not suitable for young lively couples looking to party - perfect for the older couple/young couples with young kids.

Thoroughly enjoyed our holiday

by TripAdvisor Member Ellichelle

I stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks with my husband and 11 month old daughter and had a great holiday. The hotel was perfectly situated to the beach which was perfect for children - the beach being soft sand and the sea clear, calm and very gently shelving. The loungers and parasols are expensive to hire but most people just buy lilos and parasols, which are cheap enough to buy. Our room was on the 2nd floor and we had a fantastic view of the beautiful bay. We have previously been to both Tobago and Antigua and have got the say the beach/sea is certainly as good as the Caribbean, the only difference being that the sea was a little cooler than the Caribbean and the beach busier. We felt that we had chosen the ideal time to go and on talking to a local shopkeeper she said that July/August was extremely busy and too hot for children. The resort itself was ideal for families and a short walk from the hotel.

I cannot fault the hotel and found the staff friendly - my daughter certainly enjoyed being made a fuss of by the restaurant staff! I suppose the food was a little repetitive but we still enjoyed it all the same. We were even able to hire a babywalker from reception which was great as our daughter is at the 'pre-walking' stage and we were worried about her falling on the tiled floor so this was a huge help (30 euros for 2 weeks).

The supermarkets stocked everything that we might have needed for the baby: nappies, wipes, toiletries etc, but the hotel supermarket was slightly more expensive than those in the resort.

I think it says it all when I say that we are already looking forward to booking up again for the same time next year!

Beautiful Resort, Indifferent Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Lee-in-Newcastle

After reading tripadvisor.com's reviews on this hotel, and having experienced Cala Galdana from a previous visit to Menorca, I was very much looking forward to spending a week at the resort.

This large hotel dominates the bay, enjoys fantastic views over the beach and sea, and this initial impression is a real highlight when you first occupy your room. The holiday was good, and simply looking out from the balcony was a joy in itself. This said, my opinions of the hotel are certainly not as encouraging as that of some of the previous reviewers ; Rooms are small, clean - but not what I would regard as 4 star and some major advice, avoid the 7th floor - most of the rooms are directly underneath the restaurant which when open makes your room noisey from the tiled floors above. I agree that the staff in the main are very friendly, my 5 year old befriended both the waiters and the cleaning staff - but I am amazed that anybody could regard this hotel as kid friendly, the kids club doesnt run into October, and the poor level of evening entertainment is not in the least focussed towards them. Food wise, all I can say is the buffet was like Scooby Doo scenery, same dishes repeated as you cruise the counters from top to bottom - daily changes were made, but after two days we decided to eat out at considerable additional expense. Finally the pool area, although very nice, was quite frankly tiny. I have seen some other reviewers defend this, saying why use a pool when there is such a great beach in front - I agree, however be aware that the bay is very 'jellyfish' friendly, and if they come during your stay, this makes a retreat to the pool a necessity.

I dont want to be overly negative, the hotel was adequate in my view, but maybe my expectations are too high ; however the resort of Cala Galdana can do no wrong in my eyes, it is a fantastic location - I'll just be staying elsewhere when I go next, I'll leave the monolithic hotel to those who enjoy the mediocre buffet !

Top Tip - enjoy dinner out in the restaurant that is set on a rock into the bay ; fantastic service and a great night out.

Excellent Holiday

by TripAdvisor Member PickiePool

Stayed here from 18/05/07-25/05/07 and had a super time. It is the fourth year in a row we have stayed here around the same time as we just love the hotel. Some reviews haven't shown it in a good light stating that the room & balconys are small for 4 star which I agree they are, however this hotel started its life many years ago as a 3 star hotel so to upgrade to a 4 star they couldn't enlarge the rooms or balconys. Rooms have air conditioning, ceiling fans and free fridge & safe.
To walk out onto the balcony in the morning & see that view across the horse shoe bay was just lovely.
I found once again that the hotel was spotless, staff friendly and everything in working order. The food was buffet style & quite acceptable but not gourmet, so if you are really looking for that you will need to go somewhere else.
Once again the sunbeds on the beach have gone up to a whopping €8 per day for one bed & €6 for an umbrella, no wonder so many lay empty. If you are looking for a blow up bed don't buy them at the hotel or along the front, get them from the shops in the town were they are about €3 cheaper. The ones with the holes in them are better for lying on than the ones with ridges.
Drinks, ice-creams are equal to or more expensive than at home, this is not a cheap resort which is maybe why we say a big decline in the numbers staying in it this year as opposed to the last three years. Ladies wear wedged shoes as other thinner heals may get stuck in the boardwalk while walking into the town.
The free entertainment each evening in the square in the middle of town was very good this year again and it is lovely being able to sit out in the open air to enjoy it.
We hired a car for 3 days and went all over the island, car was €83 and we used €15 petrol, small cars are available at AcG car hire, they are older cars but kept in good condition and they can be found by walking past the Hotel Cala Galdana in the town centre for a short distance.
I would recommend this hotel as we just love it, but please keep in mind that this is not a cheap resort if you are on a tight budget.

Comments